on 23 October 2014
We've just bought a Lattissima Plus coffee machine through Amazon and are now playing around with the settings to achieve the best drink we like. So far we are finding that by using the factory settings the drinks are just not hot enough or large enough. Main problem is the temperature and we don't really want to have to heat up the milk or water by another method. Please can anyone offer a soution as I am sure we are not the only people who want a longer and more importantly, a hotter coffee.
7 Nov 2014. I'm up-dating my review now that I've had time to really try out the machine. I can now give it 5* and can add additional instructions to those in the booklet.
If you follow the instructions you only have a small drink no matter what you choose. However we have decent size mugs (250ml) and I've worked out how to fill these with a good drink. My personal choice would be an Americano topped up with hot milk, so here's how I now make it. First run water through the machine by pressing the "Lungo" button but without a pod. This warms up the machine and also warms your cup or mug. Put your warm mug under the spouts and insert a pod (I prefer a higher intensity as it will be watered down for the Americano). Then press either the Espresso or Lungo button, depending on the pod chosen. When it has finished release the pod and then press again either the Espresso or Lungo button and water only will top up your drink. More water can also be added if preferred but don't dilute too much. Then I press and hold the Latte button with low froth setting until the mug is full. This makes a perfect Americano. Note that it is not wise to leave the pod in when adding extra water as this can spoil the taste.
Now my wife prefers a Capuccino, but the standard settings don't give a large enough drink so this is what we do. We make an Espresso or Lungo as normal and add extra water but not much more (don't add this if you prefer a very milky drink or Latte). Then top up with milk by pressing and holding the Latte button, initially with low froth setting and then move to the higher froth setting at the end.
Admittedly this a more manual way but does give a longer and more personal drink to your taste. Higher intensity pods are best for us but that is again a personal choice.
The Lattisima Plus is really good and very addictive. Now we know how to obtain personal settings I can highly recommend it.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 February 2015
I have recently acquired this machine, and all in all am very satisfied with it. The milk frother is an improvement on the Aerocinno which came with earlier machines, in that it has a larger capacity, is much easier to clean, doesn't malfunction or overheat, or leave a burnt patch inside which is hard to remove, all things I found unsatisfactory with the Aerocinno. This makes the machine a vast improvement on previous models.

If you are making a latte macchiato and you like a really hot cup of coffee, you might find it necessary to give the milk 30 seconds in the microwave first before clicking the milk frother into place. In fairness the machine does an excellent job of heating the milk, but if your fridge runs cold, there is only so much the element can do when the milk runs past it. Room temperature milk in the frother makes a really hot satisfying cup of coffee if that is your preference.

Another point about the milk frother - whilst it is very effective at producing froth, there is not an option for "no froth" like there is with the aerocinno. You can turn the switch for "less froth" or "more froth" but the less froth option will still produce a reasonable amount of froth. This is only a problem if you don't like froth and just want hot milk, so is worth considering.

One design aspect of this machine I'm a bit miffed about is that you can't fit one of the bog standard glass latte mugs that you can pick up cheaply at Dunelm or Homebase under here - there is a short space between the coffee outlet and the base where you place the glass. So if you already have a coffee machine you use latte glasses for, you might find they are obsolete with this machine. Obviously just normal teacups which tend to be wider and shorter are fine, but if you like a latte in a glass you might have to choose a bit more carefully.

On the whole though, once you have your vessel sorted and have decided how hot you like your drink and whether or not you like froth, this machine will produce excellent results and the easy cleaning and improved functionality of the milk system makes this a worthy upgrade from previous models such as the Magimix or Krups Citiz plus milk models.
on 20 February 2015
I bought one of these following a return from holiday where the villa we were staying in had a similar item.
I loved the taste of the fresh coffee and ability to have several different types of coffee depending on your mood so we bought one of these.
My wife thinks this machine is wonderful by the way but for me the final result no matter which type of coffe you choose (latte/expresso/americano etc) they are just not hot enough after making.

I can take my coffee into the conservatory, sit down and know that I can drink the whole cut large or small in 10 seconds flat if I wanted too without so much as a blister to tell I had had a hot coffee. Now I know you dont want it boiling but I dont want it cold either after just 5 minutes. For me the whole machine should be delivering the coffee at a much higher temperature to what it is. If Starbucks, Costa etc can manage it why cant Nespresso? I have to ask - is the machine really upto delivering hot coffee? Disappointed.
on 13 January 2015
I can definitely recommend these machines and the coffee that goes with them. There are a number of different flavours which suit all occasions and the machine itself is so simple to use that you can do it when half awake. There are a couple of things I would draw your attention to: 1. If you like this system don't be fooled by ebay offers. The cheapest Nespresso coffee is bought from Nespresso themselves @ 29p - 31p per serving. 2. Clean the milk system after each session to flush out the system's innards. 3. You can vary the strength of the coffee/size of the drink by either an adjustment (see manual) or simply running the desired program twice, with or without an additional capsule. For example my wife likes to run an espresso function followed by a cappuccino function using the same capsule. This puts an espresso in the cup followed by hot milk & steam, followed by a weakened version of the espresso for a longer drink.
on 27 July 2015
First experience with an 'expresso' machine (formerly a filter coffee man) but I think I've dropped on one of the best, and probably THE best for latte or cappuccino coffees!
Very simple to use, and you can get a great latte with the press of a button, as the milk is pumped from a reservoir at the front, before the expresso of your choice is automatically added to the milk (no need to sort the milk first in a separate heater/frothier!)
Have ordered some more coffee from Nespresso, but will then try the cheaper alternatives now available in Supermarkets
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 August 2014
I was looking for a replacement to our trusted Classic Nespresso machine. Having previously mostly drank espresso's & lungo coffee because I honestly couldn't be bothered to use the milk frother if I was just making coffee for me, the thought of a machine doing it for me sounded too good to be true. It wasn't.

I particularly like the detachable milk reservoir as it means there is no waste. When you have made your drink, clean the system (takes 10secs and 1 push of a button), detach the unit and return it to the fridge. There is no messing around.

Yes, it is alot of money for a coffee machine, but I would recommend people go for it. You won't be disappointed.
on 11 June 2013
After our Magimix Citiz machine stopped working properly, I needed to replace it with another Nespressso machine as I love Nespresso coffee I chose this Delonghi Latissima machine as I wanted a milk steamer on the machine also. It is a very smart looking machine, is easy to use and makes lovely coffee. The only downside for me is that the milk heater really froths the milk, even on the lowest froth setting, sometimes I only want the milk heated, not frothed.
on 25 November 2014
We have now owned this machine for about four weeks, so here is our review based on performance so far - good looking machine, in use every day and very easy to operate - every coffee can be tailored to suit your personal taste - very pleased with purchase.
on 27 May 2015
I love this Nespresso machine it has been fantastic. Just what i was looking for at a great price when compared to other shops & stores.
on 30 March 2014
This machine is very slick and can make all sorts of different coffees from lattes to americanos. It could not be easier to use, maintain and enjoy. It comes with a detachable milk container which can be kept in the fridge. When you are finished with it, you hold a special button which pushes steam through the milk related tubes so all it kept very clean. The nespresso coffee is brilliant quality meeting and sometimes beating high street vendors.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse