Customer reviews

on 19 March 2014
*I only managed to watch this DVD for the first time on Saturday, not knowing that on the very same day his drummer brother Scott had also just passed away, very sad news.*

This is a great film covering the event. It is well put together. The package even comes with a 4 page booklet, it’s been a long time since I got one of those in a DVD. I like the interview clips preceding the gig, they add to the build up. I also enjoyed Henry Rollins’ rather long, but never dull, introduction speech.

A totally professionally filmed production, which is bit of an improvement on this labels other Stooges DVD’s (“Iggy & the Stooges Live in Detroit”, a kind of official bootleg and “Raw Power LIVE: In the Hand the Hands of the Fans”, a well filmed gig by a few fans with differing quality cameras). Except for the dodgy edit where Iggy and the band are walking off before the encore and there is a roadie walking across the stage who just fades out into the ether, lol! But that’s a small gripe.

The issue I really have is with the audio. The mix is a bit muddy and the stereo rather flat. It’s not as kick-ass as I would have liked! It’s also got the occasional drop-outs, so the music goes lower and muffles and then gets louder again, which is a pretty carless oversight by the mixer. I’m not sure if this DVD is mixed in 5.1, I couldn’t see an audio option in the menu and does not say on the back, but, unless I was listening to it in 2.0, I would have expected a good spatial surround sound mix over what it has.

Great show, somewhat compromised by a rather average, audio mix. If this DVD had the same gutsy mix as “Raw Power LIVE: In the Hand the Hands of the Fans”, - I have compeared them - , it would have been awesome. Even though they were both mixed by Max Bisgrove!

Also my copy is NTSC 0, and suffers from some slight motion distortion on some shoots because of this but, it is advertised as PAL format on Amazon.