on 12 September 2017
A fascinating read.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2013
For those who don't know (and that included me, until very recently), the Gnostic Gospels area collection of writings made around the same time as the Synoptic Gospels but were frowned upon by the orthodox Christian hierarchy. One has to be careful about lumping these texts together because there are many disparate views expressed and they range from views that will still shock today such as, Christ did not suffer during the crucifixion because He was not human, but a God, or that He did not rise bodily from the tomb, to less heinous texts such as that of Mary - hopefully, we are now able to accept a woman as a significant figure; if not, GET OVER IT!!!

These books make uncomfortable reading: it is cosy to believe that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, or Bible but, they have as much claim to historic authenticity as the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. It is my experience that to subjugate views that question one's beliefs is always going to lead to trouble at some stage and these books deserve to be read. I have to be honest, my preconceived views do mean that I may not have been as fair to some of these ideas as I should; maybe, they will worm into my credence over time: in some cases, I truly doubt it but, I am glad that I have read them and they deserve to be exposed to the light f day.
33 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2017
RUBBISH !!
on 6 February 2014
Now I understand why these were not included in the holy scriptures! They are nothing like the Gospels in the Bible and they are not even interestingor more informative. I had hoped they would give some more background - they didn't.
on 20 October 2013
There is nothing new in this book at all. I have read what is in this book elsewhere. It was dissappointing.
on 23 July 2013
It is an interesting reading. You find that all the "wisemen" in the past actually read this, and concluded that they can act according to this, while not giving the nod to the public that it is ok.

Glad I am reading this, my dad, my uncle who was a Presbyterian church pastor for 50 years never read this...
on 2 March 2015
Fascinating. Not always easy to read or interpret; but adds to the body of knowledge. I don't quite know what I was expecting, but I do keep dipping into it.
on 23 December 2013
This was a good copy of some of the Gnostic literature. I found it very helpful and am sure that others studying this subject will too..
on 11 July 2015
An interesting angle on all the bits the church cut oout of standard Christian creed.
on 17 April 2015
It has made me look again at the other stuf and wonder.