Style Name: Nest|Change

on 9 February 2015
Sturdily made. Fair price. Small size, ideal for blue tits. Base drainage slits are a little wide but ok. Single rear hole for screw mounting is ok but would make fitting even easier/faster if hole were vertically slotted, so that screw can be mounted first and box simply lowered into place.
on 19 December 2014
We bought this for an elderly friend who enjoys watching the birds in her garden. I thought this a good Christmas present for the woman who has everything :) The nest box is extremely sturdy and well made and I am sure it will keep in good order for years and hopefully be home to lots of birds, and of course give our friend a lot of pleasure.
All in all this is a good item to buy for a present or to enjoy in your own garden.
on 19 January 2015
Three purchased and arrived the next day [@January 10th]. Packaging was excellent. Installed about 12 feet above ground facing south on birch trees in the garden and can be viewed from indoors without disturbing the birds. Blue tits immediately colonised the boxes. And I mean immediately. As I took the ladders away they were in them. There has been considerable competition for these desirable residences so we will buy more in the next few days. The boxes are very well made and easy to fit. A two inch screw is sufficient for fixing to a tree and the front panel is easily removed and refitted. At this price it's great value entertainment.
on 4 April 2015
Nice and inexpensive bird nesting box. Seems well-made, but the years will be the test of that (we put them in sheltered spots, obviously). They can be a bit of a fiddle to put up, especially about 7-8 feet up on rough stone walls. It would be nice to have a mounting board or bracket that the box can then be fitted to, rather than have to fabricate one for ourselves. Either that, or make the box "buildable" in situ - where we attach the back to the wall and can then securely fix the rest of the box to the back - Ikea style!

Now we just put down hanks of moulted horse hair on the lawn and watch the birds do their decoration (once they get the hang of it, they end up with very luxurious nests!). Try it and you'll have friends for life.

Having said all that, it's how the birds rate the box that matters; however I think they're also driven by price, given what they said to me when I asked them.
on 11 February 2015
The mistake many people producing nest-boxes make is to provide inadequate fixing points. This product is well made, attractively priced and flexible but not the best-designed box possible. I urge Chapelwood to consider extending the back [top and bottom] to provide four simple points for fixing to tree/post/wall etc. It may not look quite so 'streamlined' but it will be far more secure in position. I've bought metal brackets to attach the 'Classic' which will serve - but a simple redesign would be better!
How long will this timber last? Feb15 and counting!
on 2 May 2014
This birdbox is a perfect size. With a slanted roof, and drainage system. The drainage system does have quite large slits, but they are fine. It came well in time. I would recomend this bird box to anybody who wants value for money.
on 8 February 2014
Well made, easy to wall mount, easy to get access to clean. Bluies (Blue Tits) have already checked them out.
on 10 April 2015
Much smaller than I had anticipated. We have other boxes and this is the smallest we have. The quality of the box isn't a problem, after all its just a couple of bits of wood tacked together. However, for the price you can't go wrong. Delivery was quick and efficient with good packaging. Initially we bought it to install a camera in but it was far too small for that so we ended up putting it in an existing box. Incidentally, this was cheaper than the similar Robin box we bought at the same time. They are the same product but with this you have more versatility as you can remove the hole section thus leaving you a Robin box.
on 10 April 2015
Much smaller than I had anticipated. We have other boxes and this is the smallest we have. The quality of the box isn't a problem, after all its just a couple of bits of wood tacked together. However, for the price you can't go wrong. Delivery was quick and efficient with good packaging. Initially we bought it to install a camera in but it was far too small for that so we ended up putting it in an existing box instead.
on 11 May 2016
I bought 2 of these and 3 of the classic nest boxes which are much cheaper. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7VVV68/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_8 The daft thing is that you can buy the classic nest boxes and remove 2 screws to convert it into a robin box, so you get a transforming next box which you can decide what to do with each year. So why buy the robin box which has a fixed purpose? Not up to the quality I would expect from Chapelwood, too. Rather 'thrown-together' for the price. Looks nice now it's up, though.