Top positive review
12 people found this helpful
A pretty good album - but it's far from perfection. I'd recommend a listen online before buying though
on 12 February 2013
I'll start by saying that I know an awful lot of people have slated this album, criticising the change of style and the lack of effort put in (apparently didn't go into the studio with any written material at all). In this regard, I can see why people are frustrated, I am too - because if this is what they can do with little effort, then with more time, and respect towards their fans, they could produce something fantastic.
I'm not going to bother comparing this to The Poison, like everyone else seems to. Times have changed, the market is much more competitive, and I believe that the band thought this change of direction would bring in new fans, whilst trying to appease the old. Sadly i think they failed to do both, and simply produced an okay album.
Onto the individual tracks:
1. "Breaking Point" - Not a bad opening track, pretty good guitar work with passable vocals. One of the heavier tracks on the album.
2. "Truth Hurts" - A good following track to 'Breaking Point'; better guitar work and vocals.
3. "Temper Temper" - The first released single, Basic guitar work, and pretty cheesy vocals but it grows on you with time.
4. "P.O.W." - Tempo brought down a little bit, a good track overall.
5. "Dirty Little Secret" - Similar to 'P.O.W' in style, another good track.
6. "Leech" - Really don't like this track, the guitar work is good, but the lyrics are absolutely atrocious.
7. "Dead to the World" - Another slow track, similar to 'P.O.W. and 'Dirty Little Secret', just not as good as the previous.
8. "Riot" - The second song released, personally I really like it. The lyrics are basic and cheesy, but its pretty catchy!
9. "Saints & Sinners" - Really like this track an awful lot - certainly one of the better one of the albums! Sticks very close to their older style
10. "Tears Don't Fall (Part 2)" - I don't know why they needed to do a part 2, the guitar work is simply in a different key with different lyrics. It's stll really good, i just personally didn't see the point in it!
11. "Livin' Life (On the Edge of a Knife)" - Generic, but nothing bad.
Deluxe Bonus Tracks:
12. "Not Invincible" - Ironically, this is a really good track. Should be part of the main album really...
13. "Whole Lotta Rosie" (from the "Live Lounge" show on BBC Radio 1) - AC/DC cover, need I say more?
14. "Scream Aim Fire" (from the "Live Lounge" show on BBC Radio 1)
Overall, there are a some good tracks; Saints and Sinners, Tears Don't Fall (Part 2), Riot, Temper Temper, not Invincible. All the others are either too generic or let down by poor lyrics.
I'd listen online and see if you like the change in direction and make a purchase (or not) based on how much you liked what you heard. The more you listen though the more it grows on you I found. I felt it was more worthy of 4 stars than 3...
Yes I wish they spent more time and effort on the album, but overall its still a lot better than the mainstream rubbish you hear on British Radio at the moment! Hope this helped!