on 8 April 2017
I hated this book with a passion. This was my very first set book in English Lit. in secondary school in the '50s ( aged 11 ) and the very first homework was to read the first 100 pages for a test the following week. Having been brought up on a diet of Enid Blyton, Malcolm Saville, Arthur Ransome, Frank Richards, and some RLS etc, I struggled with the archaic style, long sentences, and so on, and failed miserably. I vowed never to touch the book again.

Fast forward sixty years and I thought I should give it another try. I now find it very readable, interesting and even enjoyable. So never say never! The version I bought is from the hard cover, Collectors' Library edition. These books are a handy pocket size and smart looking with gilt edged pages, a page saver ribbon, and a durable spine. On the down side, the print is necessarily small and some may have difficulty with this size font. Maybe a touch expensive at £8.99, when you can get a paperback copy for £2.00 or less, but okay if you intend to keep it.
on 14 May 2017
Its of course a classic and an amazing read,timeless....for me...
Bought for my kid,just starting high school and ....they cant relate to it in any way,which i expected,and worse they cant understand it.
It seems that the language is too complicated,not David Walliams i guess...
I remember reading this book when in primary myself,as back in the 70ies this was children's classic literature.
These days however its a different story it seems.
Language has been seriously simplified....
on 5 August 2017
Not quite sure what's going on here. As another reviewer says, above, the text just cuts off halfway through the story. It's clearly a very cheap re-print with no page numbering and a strange front cover depicting a boat with an outboard motor! Please buy this wonderful story reproduced by a publishing house you recognise. I just wanted to re-read something I had read years ago and didn't want to buy a more expensive version, but I did at least expect Amazon to have reprinted the whole story! Oh well...
on 20 September 2017
It's easy to forget quite how boring the unabridged Robinson Crusoe really is.

Imagine audio documenting all the happenstance of your average day - swept carpet, washed dishes, went to toilet, etc, etc.

And repeating that for chapter after chapter after chapter after chapter ....

Occasionally adding in a reading from a Jehovah's Witness pamphlet that had come through the door.

That would be equivalent to much of what this offering comprises.

And Tom Casaletto may well be an estimable voice actor in his own milieu, but as a purveyor of an "English" accent and style of reading he is toe-curling.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 1 November 2012
I first read this many decades ago after watching the excellent BBC serial on children's television that I think was a French production. Coming back to it all these years later I'm struck, once again, by how, although appearing slightly `overblown' for some modern tastes, engaging the writing is and how the story of this young man's gruelling coming of age still resonates down the centuries. Thus, one understands why the book quickly attained classic status and remained a favourite for more than 300 years.

According to Colin Wilson (in A Criminal History of Mankind) Defoe based the story on the adventures of a Scottish pirate named Alexander Selkirk who, following a quarrel with his pirate captain, asked to be marooned on what was then, one of the uninhabited islands of the Juan Fernandez group about 600 km off the coast of Chile in the South Pacific. After five years Selkirk return to England and became an overnight `celebrity' and Defoe (who began life, in 1660, as Daniel Foe) went to see him in Bristol in 1713 and probably paid for his written reminiscences. The interesting point to note is that Defoe was an agent provocateur and spy, a kind of forerunner to those more recently employed by MI5, and built up a network of spies as well as spending time `inside' and in the pillory!

Why it's interesting, at least to this reader, is that this seems to indicate a certain type of person; i.e. not particularly pious, unlike his fictional creation Robinson Crusoe, who, during his long solitary sojourn on his fictional island, develops, possibly, quite understandably under the circumstances, a distinct religious sensibility and frequently and at length thanks God for providing for him so bounteously. Crusoe reflects on this many times during the book and this is just one example of a degree of repetition that a good editor would surely have remedied.

Nevertheless, this book is a classic for a good reason and provides hours of enjoyment for the patient reader in addition to a great deal of food for thought!
on 26 February 2018
I ordered this from amazon, it arrived thought it was a bit thin but having never read it before didn't pay much attention, got to the last page and realised it its only the first part! DO NOT BUY
on 10 August 2017
Very disappointing and slightly strange as no title pages, no numbers on pages, which I can cope with, but main problem is that half of the book missing, stops roughly half way through! Returned book with these comments to be posted another identical copy. Meeting of my reading group in next couple of days and have only been able to read half a book. If you are buying, please us a publishing house that you recognise. Even more bizarrely, why a photo of a motorised boat on the cover?!!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 April 2017
I'm absolutely fuming, I wish I could give this zero stars. Printed with no page numbers, what kind of crap is that??? Never in my life have I seen a book with no page numbers. And it cuts off randomly, meaning clearly the last few pages haven't been printed. They're just missing!? DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. I've attached a photo of the last page, clearly cuts off prematurely.
review image
on 5 November 2017
Poor formatting. Chapter that start halfway though a page with no breaks or change of font this does not happen with every chapter though. I know the original did not come with chapters. It served it purpose but you would be better off spending the extra money for a better quality copy.
on 14 December 2016
As a child I remember being left spellbound following a 1970's tv series depicting the life and times of Robinson Crusoe. After many years I picked up the book and read it and was immediately transported back in time (the book was much better!). The book really is a gem and although I thought it was going to be a tough read, it really wasn't. The book deals with a man who although did not have much luck as a sailor (he had two mishaps, the latter landed him on the island - perhaps he really should have listened to his father!) did have an eventful life as a businessman in Brazil, he was a former slave and later a slave owner and lastly a castaway. The book, although fiction, closely follows the true story of Alexander Selkirk who, like Robinson Crusoe, also found himself marooned on a desert island. All in all a great British classic that has stood the test of time and a must for any serious reader of fiction.