Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: DVD|Change

on 22 March 2013
I am currently serving with the Army and have deployed on operations along with many friends and family.

I have been watching this weekly on the tv and find it hilarious as it captures a lot of the humor and banter that goes on. Much of the service way of life is a sense of humor that many would consider to be in bad taste however this is the way in which we cope with the extraordinary situations that we have to face on a daily basis.

In response to "Ultimate reviewer" i would suggest his problem is with the legitimacy of the wars that my generation has fought and not the program itself. They clearly do not understand the mentality of our wounded (i have friends who have come back with the odd part missing)they would and do find this series amusing. The military way is not to sit and complain but to pick yourself up and make the best of the situation. They also seem to have a problem with the story being based in Afghan, where else would you set a series about an Army EOD team than the country with the most IED's and mines in the world!! Do tv and film companies have to make up countries just to prevent the risk of offending anyone?

The show rotates around the banter, which many would consider border line abuse, amongst the unit. However this is true amongst the real military but it is actually just the way we are and to be considered affectionate. Unfortunately female squaddies do fart burp and swear like the rest of us and we love them all the more for it because many of them when away from ops and on a regimental function night scrub up brilliantly and shine!

i must quote the aforementioned reviewer "Bluestone is silly, puerile, politically incorrect, sexist and offensive" my response welcome to the military my friend!! If you dont like it dont watch it!

I hope the BBC makes a second series as i think it is brilliant the characters remind me of many people i have served with the banter is amusing and the situations although funny kinda realistic at times. I will continue to watch the series on tv and will buy it when it is released as it will make me laugh again and again.
99 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 July 2013
How pleasant to find a clever, well-written, and flawlessly acted program in today's field of offerings. Admittedly the language may be somewhat "salty", but anyone who has the least bit of an association with the military will find that it rings true ; it is refreshing to hear people who know how to use vituperations properly. So if you like witty, perfectly timed comedy delivered by a cast of likeable and charismatic actors, this is for you. Bring on season II...!!
on 24 November 2013
On the face of it, the 'situation' seems about as far from funny as you could get - but I've now watched most of the episodes in this brilliant series at least 3 times and every time, it just gets better. Irreverent, rude yet at times, poignant. Glad to hear it has been recomissioned by the BBC. Off we ****...
on 7 November 2013
Great humour but also serious aspects to this great comedy. The characters are really endearing and make you care about them as well as laugh with them
on 20 April 2013
Had to write to praise Bluestone 42 as I am completely hooked. Initially my husband refused to watch citing the fact that he couldn't see anything funny in our troops being in Afghanistan, but having persuaded him to watch one episode he is now as keen to watch as the rest of the family (even gets my sons off the Xbox!). If you like comedy, give it a go, it is a unique setting providing a refreshingly new arena for a new type of comedy. Would like to give 10 stars but.......
on 13 March 2013
I have to disagree with the last review.
I thought this was hilarious, so much so that I've watched episode one on BBC iplayer 4 times already, and episode two twice last night.
I've also already pre-ordered the DVD from Amazon.
I hadn't seen any of the trailers on BBC - I found out about this because my brother (who presumably has seen a trailer) knows I'm a huge Oliver Chris fan. I wasn't disappointed.
I have loads of military connections and my father (who spent 35 years in the British Army) liked it almost as much as I did and we've been quoting it all week.
They have the banter pretty much spot on.
I'm not going to bother describing the show, you can read the synopsis for that; I just wanted to provide a balance for the last review, because I really like Bluestone 42 and all the characters and think the actors do a great job.

"Not now Corporal, grown-ups talking"
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2014
While not having served in the armed forces (sorry, services) I was in the ATC as a kid, and spent a lot of time on military bases around the UK. Added to that, several members of my family either served or are serving in the Army.

Consequently, I have had a lot of exposure to British military humour, which to put is bluntly is as subtle as a brick in the face.

Bluestone 42 depicts this almost perfectly. If you met my family, you'd realise that Bluestone actually underplays it a bit.

Don't expect a subtle interaction between the crew, such as you find in Friends (boring,) more like that in Spaced. Childish, crude and very twisted. But as the old expression goes: You shouldn't have joined if you can't tale a joke.
on 10 April 2013
Never felt the need to review a program before but feel this needs to be seen by far more people(especially in light of the one star review that somebody gave it), if you don't like something then don't write pages slating it just let it pass you by. In line with other reviews, yes its politically, sexually and ethnically un-PC, and in every way I feel it would display the sort of relationships that you would expect to find in the working environment that is the subject matter.

When I first saw the trailers before it started I wasn't sure It would be for me, even though I have a good interest in military things but I'm really glad I watched the first episode. If your easily offended in this oh so politically correct era then it's probably not for you, but I for one enjoyed every minute of the six show's so far shown and seriously hope they commission a second series.
on 26 January 2014
Easily, one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The cast work so well together and it's non-stop funny all of the way through but with a poignant serious note too. The characters of Nick (Oliver Chris) and Bird (Katie Lyons) I know from Green Wing in which they were also excellent. Gary Carr is playing a slightly similar role to which he played in Death in Paradise as the young, always trying to improve himself but very capable Millsy. Tony Gardner as the CO Colonel Smith is such a superb character with subtle undertones and strong leadership unlike his character as Michael in Lead Balloon. Simon the Lance Corporal (Stephen Wight) has been a favourite of mine since Whites playing the truculent, would be Sous-chef. In this role, he’s more attuned to the comradeship of his colleagues and is far more of a pleasant and engaging character. Perhaps more in keeping with his role as Sam in The Paradise. The other cast members I’m less familiar with and one of them is Mary (Kelly Adams) as the Padre. I’m not going to give anything away and ruin the plot for those reading this but lets just say that although her abilities and caring nature as the Padre may be unrequited by her flock, there’s definitely a special bond between one of the guys which is especially tender given the supposed location. A brilliantly done TV show with a lot of course language which is actually very fitting given the storyline. It’s about a bunch of squadies in Afghanistan after all. If those in charge of the making of a second series or maybe even more don’t follow through and add to the work already done, then, as Mac and Rocket would say, they are indeed a bunch of knob-heads!
on 30 April 2013
As a rather Girlie-girl I wouldn't normally have considered watching Bluestone 42 but as my friend was going out to Afghanistan (he's in the TA) I thought I'd give it a go.
It's definatly black humour, in bad taste but I don't think it could be anything else. It's got a strange kind of honesty to it that I think anyone who works in such dangerous environments would recognise. And even though you know it's a comedy you do feel the tension when the ATO (what does that stand for ?) has to walk out to the IAD or defuse a car bomb (definatly not on my Bucket list).
I'm going to buy the DVD and watch it with my girlfriends (blokes tend to be present but I just ply them with Moussaka & Beer and it keeps them quiet),whilst we're drinking cocktails and chatting about handbags.
I think "Ultimate Reviewer" needs a new name; what about "Ultimate Pillock" ?
P.S. All the very best to any Service men, Women & Monty the sniffer dog serving out there.