Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 October 2015
I just loved this album. Iris may make some people groan because of its more commercial outlook, but I could listen to it forever. Rebel Beat is foot stomping, joining-in stuff. And you would have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by Come To Me. I flick past the odd one or two if I am not in the mood for them, but a great listen-to collection for driving, energising you at the gym, or what have you.
on 10 June 2013
Like many UK based Goo Goo Dolls fans, I've always thought that the band has long deserved more recognition for its efforts than the almost continual re-emergence of `Iris' in the charts. Magnetic, the Goo's 10th studio album and released in the band's 28th year, cements the Goo's position as rock/pop hard-hitters and illustrates the reason why they've been around for so long.

With Magnetic, the trio, John Rzeznik, Robby Takac and Mike Malinin, have evolved the band's sound once again, offering a very different musical experience to 2010's Something For the Rest of Us, which was a sombre and dark effort. Here, Rzeznik has worked with a number of different producers, John Shanks (Bon Jovi), Gregg Wattenberg (Train) and Greg Wells (OneRepublic) and their influence is obvious, with Magnetic being crafted into a very upbeat album, full of stadium anthems that will have you foot-tapping along in minutes.

The album's opener and lead single `Rebel Beat', sets the tone for Magnetic in the right way, perfectly encompassing an album that should be played on full volume in your back garden or with the windows of your car down on a crisp summer's day. Like much of the Goo Goo Doll's recent work, `Rebel Beat' has been criticised by some sections of the Goo's fan base, most notably those who have been around since the bands inception back in the 1980's. However, if your willing to accept that this band has quite rightly moved on and evolved since then, you will find plenty to enjoy here.

In promoting Magnetic, Rzeznik has explained how he used different producers and experienced with sounds and techniques and these experiments are apparent from the offset. They don't disappoint either. The album is filled, from start to finish, with catchy stadium anthems. Like many bands however, and perhaps to be expected from Johnny Rzeznik, the man who wrote the musical gem, Iris, the songs are lyrically solid aswell.

`Slow It Down' is a standout moment on the album and, along with almost all of Rzeznik's songs on Magnetic, a contender to be released as the second single. `Caught In The Storm' is perhaps the most obvious stadium anthem on the album, with a sing along chorus and a pounding finish, which will resonate long after the song has finished. `More Of You' is of a similar feel, with a more electronic vibe, another with a pounding and memorable chorus. `Last Hot Night' is also another catchy sing-along anthem which would be a wonderful set-closer for the upcoming tour.

Magnetic isn't all about stadium anthems though, `Bulletproofangel' is a sweeping and memorable ballad, whilst `Come To Me' is a typically moving, lyrically silky, acoustically led Rzeznik piece. Personally, I still question the bands decision to give two token songs on each album to lead guitarist Robby Takac. Although enjoyable, I'd much rather have two more Rzeznik led pieces. However, `Bringing on the Light' and `Happiest of Days' continue from where `Say You're Free' and `Now I Hear' left off in illustrating a clear improvement on Robby's part from earlier albums. Both songs are also much improved for Johnny Rzeznik's inclusion on backing vocals, similar to many of Robby's better songs on earlier albums such as Superstar Car Wash.

Magnetic closes with `Keep The Car Running', a great choice for such a position on the album, a catchy and rock driven piece which will have you chanting along to the "We are, we are, we are" at the end of the song. The song embodies the whole album and will have you turning straight back to track number one and giving the album another play.

Magnetic may well be missing the pop/rock sensation that was `Iris', but anybody for hoping for another song reaching the dizzying heights that `Iris' deservedly reached may well be waiting a long time. However, that does nothing to detract from what is a tremendous return to form for the Goo Goo Dolls.
on 1 May 2014
sometimes, just to broaden my listening, I mooch through the cd's on offer and click on one I wouldn't usually consider.
And I'm so glad I did that with this cd.
It hasn't been out of my car cd player since I bought it 2 months ago. Usually with a cd there are at least 3 or 4 songs that you skip over as they are not overly great. There's only one track on this one that I skip, and even when I forget and listen to it, i'm still singing along.
The Goo Goo Dolls have another fan.
on 12 June 2013
It's the first album Goo Goo Dolls have released since 2010, where we saw the release of "Something For The rest Of Us" . Well this album is far better than that. As a big fan of the Goo Goo Dolls I was excited that they was bringing out a new album. The CD is worth the price as every song is brilliant. do not hesitate buy today.
on 10 May 2014
The GooGooDolls have been at my side, in my car, on the iPhone playing me as I travel the world. They have a range and lyrics with true meaning and relevance. Look them up on YouTube. "Keep the car running" has a rythym and punch that rings through.

Recommended music.
on 26 June 2013
Heard snippets of the new tracks from Goo Goo Dolls and downloaded the album on that basis. I wasn't disappointed! You could say they've "done a Train" - it still sounds like them but fresher and very commercial - haven't stopped playing it for a week!
on 28 March 2015
Having been a huge Dolls fan for years, I was a little disappointed on a first listen....But stuck with it and actually its a grower!

Rebel beat, Caught in the storm, More of you, Bullet proof angel, Keep the car running, make its' purchase worthwhile for me!
on 10 May 2014
As a long term Goo Goo Dolls fan it goes without saying that everything by them must be heard no matter what - In the early days they were very raw & not immediately appealing to the majority - As they matured they branched out to become who they are today - This cd is a must for anyone collection who love the Goos.....It is indeed Magnetic.....if you don't get this you'll always wonder;))
on 14 January 2014
I have seen Goo Goo dolls live and have every album made. This makes me biased . But i don't care
Magnetic does well and is a real return to form and i would recommend this title to anybody who has enjoyed thier music in the past.
on 12 April 2014
Through the years I have bought each successive Goo Goo Dolls release with both great anticipation and a little bit of dread. As each new CD showed the growth of the group, I always wondered if this would be the misfire (named something meant to be somewhat kind or expected, like "sophomore slump")- or, even if the majority of people liked it, would I? Somewhere between my first purchase-I think it was "Jed"- and "Dizzy Up The Girl", I quit obsessing and just bought the new music. I have never been disappointed. This one, though, will always be special.

Singers of songs have always been an intricate part of humanity. Before we ever put pen to paper, we sang. There were tales of war, building, work, progress, and protest. And of course there were songs of love- arguably the most beloved of musical expression. We rely on those who seem to have been born to put our thoughts, desires, and feelings into words and music. (Not that they don't work damn hard at it, and this is certainly not to say that it can't be a gut wrenching, destructive process that has taken more than its fair share of sacrifice and lives).

But here I am speaking of love. "Come To Me" hit me harder than a song has for many years. Perhaps it's that it puts my feelings for my husband to song in a way I would have liked to have done for myself, but never would have been able to. After decades (yes, with an s) together it seems to have been written for us. From the fire of young love through the hard middle years of raising our child and working, with times where the only reason our marriage held together was through the sheer tenacity of one or the other of us, we are now so firmly cemented it's as if the rest was just a dream. Hearing the song for the first time was a bit shocking and I did something I've never done in all my years of marriage. I sent it to my husband. The response of this man, born a generation earlier than me, one where men didn't put much into words- and certainly not song? "I love you so much- and this IS where we start again."

So while I know that these men, these singers and players of songs who are driven to put our humanity to music, didn't write this for my husband and I personally, I feel like they did. And I thank them.