Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS)
Platform: Nintendo 3DS|Edition: Y Edition|Change

on 16 June 2016
This was my first Pokemon game in a while. Like many people I grew up playing the games but as the technology moved on faster than my interest I stopped playing as much, I found preferred reading and sewing and just watching bad movies on netflix. However, after purchasing a 3DS I felt that I should check out the newest Pokemon game, just to see what had changed. The world and Pokemon have moved on so much from where they were when the games first came out, honestly it's probably become a little over complicated for me. However, this game is fun and engrossing and I have played many happy hours on this.

The game begins with you choosing whether to play as a girl or a boy and then move into your new town to start your Pokemon adventure. If you've ever played a Pokemon game then you know what to expect, a linear storyline with goals which results in you becoming the greatest Pokemon master ever (and the champion) and saving the world. This game is no different, however, what is different was the world and the storyline.

Kalos (the region in which you live) is heavily inspired by Europe, which living in England I really enjoyed, I could see monuments in the game inspired by places I've been to in real life, and this was one of my favourite parts.

My absolute favourite part of this game was the addition (and the fact you could train) one of the three original start Pokemon (if you've been around since the beginning then I'm sure you were just as excited). Getting to pick from my favourite three, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander added that little bit extra enjoyment for me and the chance to pick another completely unique Pokemon will appeal to many I'm sure.

For me this game is one of my favourites and I would highly recommend it regardless of whether you're an old Pokemon fan or someone who's never played it before.
on 3 May 2014
For me this game has been the most enjoyable since D/P/PL. It's very engaging and is extremely easy to spend half a day playing solidly, especially once you begin trading with and battling other people online. There are minigames you can play with your Pokemon to permanently raise their stats and increase (or decrease) their affection towards you, which in turn affects their capabilities in battle (a couple of examples are them fighting through and curing themselves of status conditions and surviving attacks which would otherwise be knockouts). You can customise your appearance and the appearance of certain Pokemon with clothing and hair boutiques in some cities. There are so many different habitats to explore that it's possible to spend hours ignoring the storyline while looking around, and you can find battle encounters in some surprising places.

Pokedex-wise there are quite a large number of early-gen Pokemon around which weren't present in the last couple of games, and there is a new Pokemon type (Fairy) which might not sound like much but is surprisingly resilient against some other types.

One thing I've really appreciated is the fact that quite often your rivals will allow you to turn down their inevitable and frequent requests to battle, so you can heal your team before going back for the fight.

The only slightly negative thing (if it can be seen that way) is that not too far into the game you begin to receive items which could potentially make the game a little too "easy" to beat, such as the modified EXP. Share which gives experience to your entire team even if only one member was involved in fighting which leads to extremely rapid levelling. I spent most of the game at least 10 levels above everyone else which didn't make for much of a challenge. This particular item can be turned off via selecting the option in your bag so it's not exactly game-breaking, but there are other items which may not be so easily circumvented.

Another mild annoyance is that you still can't sell TMs and they are never used up (essentially making every TM a HM), which seems to be a permanent thing in the series now.

Despite a couple of minor complaints, overall this is a brilliant game with much to recommend it even if you haven't been that impressed by other Pokemon titles.
on 27 June 2017
Doesn't change up the Pokémon system much, Adds a mechanic in which you you can pet and play with your Pokémon to increase their affection and give them benefits such as increased experience points or bonus damage in fights. Also adds Super Training to allow fine tuning of specific stats and allow for highly specialised Pokémon.

Only Issue - X and Y in terms of Legendary Pokémon are objectively worse than Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, but they do include different Pokémon so if like me you enjoy a nice full Pokédex it may be worth getting both, but if like most you enjoy flashing legendary Pokémon to your friends or in battles, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are better 'value'
on 7 February 2016
I loved this game. I am a 23 year old and have grown up with pokemon since i was a few years old. I had all the games up until recently when i grew tired of the same repetitive formula. This game is however brought me back into it. Now thats not to say that this game breaks the mould in every way, but it is enough to refresh it for me at least.
Is it the same story as all the other games since red/blue, Yes. But it does add some more pokemon, which comes with each new generation, but integrated them nicely into the old pokemon. The 3d is great, it gives the game a new depth. And the 3d battles are fantastic and reminds me of the old Colosseum games except with a story mode built in which is great! Thsese new pokemon designs hold up to some of the older ones and do a much better job than some of these previous generations.
on 11 June 2014
(From son's point of view, 17)
Considering I missed out the iterations of pokémon for 5th gen, and therefore struggling to get into things like the card game, due to not knowing any of the pokémon types, along with being highly skeptical of the new Fairy type, I can wholeheartedly say that this game is an amazing step forwards in the pokémon franchise.
Having played about 7 hours, I'm not especially far into the story, which I'm deeply enjoying, but from the mechanics and presentation stand point, the new 3D graphics style and the crisp, and most definitely finished presentation style really help bring pokémon into the "next-gen" realm of things.

Some may complain about the relatively low amount of new pokémon added in this generation, which I will admit, is much lower than usual for a new generation, but considering there are 718 pokémon available to catch and trade, this is a truly mind boggling amount of work on Nintendo's part, and being a completionist myself, will no doubt keep me hooked on catching them all for hours!

Additionally, the hark back to some of the older generations, such as the sleeping Snorlax on route 7, really help make sure older players like myself enjoy this just as much as when I was much younger playing the GBA games.

So, to conclude, I would wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone, whether they have played pokémon before or if this is their first title, as it is truly amazing in its scope and design, and will keep you entertained for hours on end!
on 21 April 2015
Good game, like all Pokemon games graphics improved, 3D features were good, could of used more though and the game in general was good. It's not my favourite Pokemon game played but not the worst at the same time! The map and Pokedex is quite large in this, there are 3 Pokedex's (Central Kalos, Coastal Kalos and Mountain Kalos). There is a mix of old and new Pokemon which was a nice touch to be able to get some of the classics on your play through. The game is only 1 region long but plays well. If your looking for something different I would recommend this Pokemon game as it has an interesting story, loads and loads of potential Pokemon you can catch as well as mega Pokemon! I've given it 4 stars just because I don't think it was as good as Pokemon games like Emerald and Silver but still a good game never the less.
on 16 May 2015
Ive sunk over 80 hours into this game in the past 2 weeks. Its amazing, although I will admit that the game was very easy for me as traded pokes get an XP boost when battling so the pokemon I traded from Black 2 version using the Pokebank application on the E-Shop made it easier. By the time i was battling the champion i was 10 levels above her, this is unusual for most players. The endgame is ok but gets very grindy to level up new pokemon you trade using the "Wonder Trade" function. I currently spend time breeding pokemon and training them for Wi-Fi battles with random people on the internet and my friends. It is very nostalgiac seeing the old Kanto starters and Mewtwo back in the game.

I would reccomend it to anyone, but after beating the League Champion it does get very boring if your not into training Pokemon and battling over Wi-Fi
on 14 December 2013
What can I really say? It's pokemon.

Great thing about this is that you can trade and battle others much easier than before. All you need is to connect to just about any wi-fi and the online features are all yours! Wonder trade, GTS, battling or trading.

Some new things are the graphics, horde fights (fight one [you] against five pokemon), using roller skates, riding pokemon, mega evolutions, and probably a bunch of other stuff I can't really think of at the moment. And of course, new pokemon.

If you liked other pokemon games, there's no real reason not to like X or Y.

The only downside to the game (for me anyways) is that legendaries are always so difficult to get. I guess that's normal but it's literally impossible to get a Mew or Celebii for example, and that's not even all. Not without a certain real life event or something. This is one thing Gamefreak hasn't fixed and probably never will. Really makes it a little disappointing for those who want to complete the pokedex, because it's no longer 'long and difficult' but just 'impossible'

Other than that, the game is a 4.8~/5. There's probably minor flaws but it's pretty darn good. A little too easy though, I must say.
on 11 July 2017
What an amazing game and adventure. All the Pokemon were great in the game and it didn't feel boring at any point. I have played Sun and moon as well and honestly this is way better. The dialog is just right and makes you feel you're in an adventure with friends. Absolutely 5/5
on 15 January 2016
On a more serious note though...

Pokémon games have really been lacking originality recently and I feel they've just went downhill for a while. I feel this game helps us reconnect back to the original 151 in some ways and is another turning point for them. Gameplay is as you would expect from any other Pokémon games and is fairly standard. The names of the Pokémon and the look of them just isn't as good as they use to be.

If Pokémon were to remake the original games for these newer platforms, it would interest me a lot more. Overall, this game is another superb Pokémon game and the fluidity of the game has improved massively.