on 7 June 2013
WELL! I read loads of reviews, and studied each model in depth and, with some apprehension, due to negative reviews on various sites, decided this was machine for me. How right I was!
I personally found it very easy to use.
True- The instructions that come with the machine are a little vague, but with some thought and application, it alls comes together quite quickly.
True- It is quite bulky and a little heavy when full with water, but when it is full, you shouldn't need to lift it, if you put the tanks on it in situ?
True- It does leave water on the floor, but that's it's job, so long as you go over the carpet without pulling the trigger, it sucks up most of the excess water and the carpets dry within a couple of hours.It also leaves large patches of water when the return tank is full and needs emptying, but once empty, go over it and it dissappears, if this is a problem, empty the tank before it gets too full! The clean water tank holds more than the return tank, so you will have to empty the latter more than fill the former!
True- They are VERY small bottles of liquid provided with the machine, just enough for an average sized lounge, and the liquid seems quite expensive for the area it covers, but, after some research, this is the case with all carpet washers. If you are buying this machine with the intention of cleaning a large area, you would be advised to ensure you have a bottle or two on hand ready, or order a couple with the machine.
On the whole, as you can see from my initial reaction, I am extremely pleased with my new toy. It has lifted some sad old carpets, and refreshed some fairly new ones, and the house smells nicer too!
So, to summarise, a few, but not major, issues, but on the whole very pleased, I personally would recommend this one, and have just registered my 2 year guarantee!!
11 comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2014
Used for the first time yesterday. Easy instructions to follow. Could not believe the dirt it extracted. Left carpets virtually dry and fully dry within 2 hours. Would definitely recommend.
on 20 August 2014
I do like this bit of kit. It is easy to operate and never fails to embarrass when you see how dirty your carpets really are! I do not find the carpet gets over wet although it must depend on how much you put on.
If you have dogs, you will be very pleased at how much hair it picks up but, on the downside, the dirty water receptacle is impossible to completely clean so you will have to accept seeing hairs stuck inside it. The only other problem is the trigger which you have to squeeze to eject the cleaning fluid. After a few minutes I found my hand cramping up. No idea how a small woman would cope. My wife is small and she needs two hands . She is very soon asking for help.
Overall I like it and I doubt if there is a perfect machine out there, so these minor problems can be tolerated.
on 7 August 2014
We have used this twice since it promptly arrived. It does a good job but is more difficult to manoeuvre than a similar size upright vacuum cleaner as its got 3 and a half kilos of cleaning water on board at the beginning but gets lighter as it dispenses water. My wife got better dirty water recovery than I and I suspect that I was too gungho in pressing the trigger to lay cleaning liquid down. In consequence my effort took a day to dry out while my wife's was dry to the touch in about 2 hours and just a clean looking. I would suggest that rather than expect a perfectly clean carpet after a single application to a very dirty never been cleaned before carpet that 2 or 3 cleans over a month is a more realistic prospect. I would recommend this product as it is well built and quite sturdy - it looks like it will last year's and years and it does the job.
on 4 May 2015
Very happy with buying this x as my carpets where bad with my little ones age 2&3 x thought would give a carpet cleaner ago before buying new carpet which didn't really wanna do yet as they r still having accidents xx and I am really happy with the results would reccomend to anyone with toddlers xx
review image
on 11 August 2014
I've come to the conclusion that this carpet cleaner is as good as the person using it..... If you can' t be bothered to follow the instructions to the letter, e.g. by vacuuming your carpet THOROUGHLY before you use the cleaner, you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting a filthy, worn piece of tat to be transformed into something out of the Arabian Nights - forget it!
We used it on the only 3 carpets remaining in our house. The first was a fairly expensive carpet in good condition, and it now looks almost new. The second was a good quality, but ageing stair carpet, and this is much cleaner but obviously not newer! The third was a cheaper bedroom carpet with floorboard marks showing through from underneath and around the edges, plus wear marks where we walk. This is certainly cleaner (the water it removed was black!), but the marks remain, despite pre-treatment and 2 full cleans.
Overall, we are very happy with the machine. Yes, it's fairly heavy, but I like that. It is beautifully designed and quite satisfying to use (again, only if you follow the instructions), but you do have to keep stopping to collect clumps of fluff it has deposited on the floor, and considerable quantities of fluff that block the slot on the front and prevent it from working properly. It is also necessary to take it apart and give it a thorough clean after use, and to let it dry before you put it back together.
Having said that, the Vax is at least as good as the commercial ones we have hired in the past, and at this price, you only need to use it 2 or 3 times to cover your cost.
Tip: the sample of cleaning product it comes with worked well and was enough for one large room, but we also ordered another, much cheaper cleaning solution (Mylek) on the basis of excellent Amazon reviews. It works just as well.
on 18 April 2013
It did what it said in the instruction and was very pleased with the outcome. Only comment is that the shampoo is a bit expensive and it uses quite a lot of it.
on 26 August 2014
Delivered on time, well packaged, easy to assemble. A quick look at the instruction and it was easy to use, I suggest you start with two litres in the clean tank which is what the waste tank takes. We only cleaned the room once and it removed most of the stains and dirt, possibly with the pretreatment it would have been better so will try next time. We cleaned it all and let it dry properly before storing it away. Stock up on the shampoo, we bought Mylek as more affordable. Very happy with it and would recommend, cheaper than hiring a machine from the high street shops and useful to have it at home for any spillage or clean up required, we are expecting lots with a new born baby!
on 29 June 2014
I am always renting carpet cleaners, so I thought it might be a good idea to buy on instead and I was quite impressed with this. It is very easy to use (the video on You Tube is great). It is a good idea to use the pre-treatment solution and wand as this does help get the carpets cleaner. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that I would like to have seen a little more water come out. Even going over it on vacuum only several times I am guessing only about half what went in came out! But it dried ok.
on 10 March 2014
Way better than I could have imagined... Carpets were dry after half an hour, excellent cleaning power.... The hose is awesome for the stairs too...pretty light and very easy to use. Couldn't have bought a better one within my budget