on 21 September 2013
I have been trying to find a kettle that is not as noisy as a train! I read in Which? Magazine that this was a best buy and one of the quietest on test. It is definitely the quietest kettle I have tried and easy refillable. It is quick and can boil small amounts if only one cup or mug is required. The lid is a bit fiddly to put on but it gets easier with practice. Best kettle I have owned and it looks smart.
99 Comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 December 2014
This kettle is great in so many ways that it is a terrible disappointment to knock it right down to one star. The reason for this is the time it takes for the automatic cut-out to operate in normal usage - something approaching as much as 10 seconds. In this time it is pouring scalding steam into the air (and it heats the water much hotter than my previous kettle).

This is great if you want a sauna, but not only unnecessary but potentially highly dangerous. For this reason, I have had to replace it with a bargain "student" range kettle from W--------s, which works brilliantly and cuts out quickly.

In most respects the Bosch is a great product. It has an unusual colour, which I liked. It is powerful and heats quickly (albeit a bit on the noisy side). It has a plate heating element so will cope with small amounts of water, just enough for a mug. (Beware of many kettles which specify a high minimum amount to heat - although usually you can put a lot less in.) It pours well. The filter is easy to take out to clean and then replace.

However, it met its demise before that much use when I accidentally dropped it in the sink and the spout (being made of fairly hard plastic like the rest of the body) chipped a chunk off.

If it cut out quickly after boiling I would happily buy it again, but not the way it works at present.
22 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 August 2014
Bought the kettle end of April, it's now mid August and it's already not working. Worse still, Amazon have changed their returns policy and you can only return to them within 1 month, so we have to go to Bosch, ring them, wait for them to send label, package the kettle ourselves, post it back for them to take who knows how long to fix it. So looking like at least 2 weeks without a kettle, which is difficult as it's pretty much an essential item in our house. And to cap it all, the Bosch number is not free on our phone deal as it is an 0344 number, so will have to pay for the privilege to tell them their product broke within 4 months. Hope this information helps someone else avoid this.
33 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 February 2016
Initially very happy with the kettle but after 4 months it began switching off before it boiled. It has now been sent back to Bosch for repair or replacement but in the meantime I have to boil water in a saucepan for tea and coffee. Not what I expected from Bosch, this is an utter pain and I hope it does not take too much longer for the replacement/repaired kettle to arrive.
Further update to this review. I rang Bosch (you will note at my expense because they had not contacted me at all) to find out why, after 2 weeks I was still waiting for my repaired or replacement kettle. I was informed that they were replacing it, so had ordered one from; wait for it : - GERMANY! When it arrives in about a weeks time, it will then be forwarded to me. Priceless. If it were not for the fact that I will have no use for 2 kettles, I would go out and buy another.
on 9 August 2015
Edit: Impressions after 5/6 weeks are not so good.

Six weeks after receiving the kettle, it has begun switching itself off before boiling is complete. Even with the lid removed it just switched itself off twice. We are going to ask Amazon to replace it, but if anyone else has experienced this problem, please leave a comment. Hopefully it's just a one-off fault.

--- Original review follows: ---

It seems like a good, solid kettle. When filled with 1.7 litres of cold water it boils at exactly the same speed as the leaky Prestige kettle it's replacing (yes, I actually did a carefully controlled experiment in my kitchen :P). They both clocked in at 3 minutes 40 seconds when the buttons clicked off. (I was honestly amazed by the tie-breaker finish.) However, after letting the kettles stand for 30 minutes after boiling, I switched them back on and this brand new Bosch beat my old Prestige in returning to the boil by 18 seconds. This is possibly because the Bosch kettle's lid solidly rotates and clicks into the closed position creating a good seal, whereas the old Prestige has a rattly flip-lid, allowing steam to escape and the water inside inevitably cools more quickly. (Can you believe people are complaining because the kettle doesn't have a thumb-press flip-lid? Those things are actually a disadvantage.)

A few more things: It's a great kettle for left-handers because it has a gauge on both sides, it's not super-quiet (which kettle is?) but it's a lot quieter than other kettles I've owned (including the one mentioned above), it doesn't have an exposed element which will make it easier to remove limescale, and although it looks grey in the picture, it is solid black with the exception of a grey stripe on the handle. It looks nice. Nothing special, but nice. And don't judge me for using this adjective again: Solid. It really is a solid kettle. I hate rattly stuff so that's a big deal to me.
on 23 March 2017
came today. It is very good. I am pleased with it, and now can have my cuppa without having to boil up a saucepan of water! I wrote this review soon after it arrived, but now having used it I can say it is very heavy. If I had just had an operation and not allowed to lift things, this would be a definite no no! When it boils it sounds like a train going through a station, and takes a while to stop once the water is boiled. It is too late to send it back, as I have used it, but I would not recommend it unless you are a professional weight lifter! It looks very nice, though, which is why initially I liked it.
on 8 May 2017
For me this is a perfect kettle because:
1) It's 3000W and so boils quickly
2) The lid opens easily and is wide, so easy to fill
3) It pours smoothly, even if you're in a rush
4) Red light indicating operation. Doesn't interfere with night vision at 2am in the way blue light does.
5) Comfortable handle and grip
6) Easily cleanable filter (though I recommend also having a scale catcher)
Unfortunately the first one of these that I bought developed a crack between the spout and the body, leading to a drip and its subsequent disposal. However I liked the kettle enough to get the same model again and it's been fine so far.
on 30 March 2017
No problems with smell as experienced by some people. It did have a disinfectant smell, however if you read the instructions it says boil twice before use BUT after the first boil add a tablespoon of white vinegar. I did this and left it to sit for a few minutes, then emptied the kettle and refilled to boil again. Smell free completely.
It is efficient, easy to fill and not as noisy as our existing Bosch kettle which we have had for 7 years and is moving on to our caravan, still going strong, so hence the purchase of another Bosch.
on 21 May 2017
I'm writing this just over two years after buying it, because it has just died. (I.e. light goes on but it doesn't heat up - I guess the element has failed. I would say it's been a good kettle for the time we've had it, but I bought Bosch thinking it would last, and I don't think I've ever had a kettle that's lasted such a short time. Might as well buy an Argos Value kettle (currently £5.49, or there's a red one similar to this for £8.79) and add £1.50 for the three-year protection.
on 14 February 2018
My electric tools my gardening tools carry the Bosch logo, so why not my kettle, good choice, well pleased with all my Bosch equipment. the kettle well up to expectations.