Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.47

on 24 May 2014
This was an excellent read and gave a clear insight to the effects/impact hoarding can have on someone who lives in an household where someone has an OCD. At the time that Kimberly lived with her parents as a small child (and as she grew older before moving into own home) the stigma of living this way would have been quite harsh and the author adapted to how she felt and dealt with her life at that timein ways that helped her cope in the best way for her. Howvever she is still coping with all the emotiional baggage that this type of upbringing can have on peoples lives. Brave decision to tell her story and allow people an insight into how she adjusted to cope with her situation. Make you think about the way our lives unfold and develop from day we are born because of parents/siblings input into our life. Well done Kimberly
on 2 September 2013
This book gives a real insight into what it must be like living with people that hoard. I admire the author for the way she has dealt with it throughout a difficult childhood and yet bears no grudges against those that made her suffer so much.
on 5 April 2014
A great insight in to living with a hoarder. After watching various TV programmes I didn't realise what it's actually like for family members to deal with. Amazing book and I guess a cleansing experience for the author in more ways than one. I'm still reeling from the attic lodger... nightmare. However her love for her parents shines through and she never gave up on them as I'm sure many would.
on 3 June 2014
I liked this; i have read a lot of memoirs and autobiographies but never on this subject; hoarding, which made it interesting reading. The author gives an honest account of her life with hoarding parents and describes the squalor she grew up in so well you start to scratch at yourself when she talks of the fleas and rats that lived at home with her.This is one tough lady; even after all she's had to live through, and still as a grown woman, is the one looking after her parents she has a great sense of humour which helps a lot in keeping the book from becoming a tear jerker.
It's not the best book I've ever read which is why I've given it three stars,but i would recommend it as an easy to read, sometimes funny, sometimes sad true story.
on 18 April 2014
This is a very moving and emotional book. I am so glad this author had the courage to expose the way her father's hoarding affected his family. This book should be read by anyone who knows a hoarder, or is a hoarder, or who wants to understand more about human nature. I can't recommend it highly enough
on 14 April 2014
I thought that my mum had problems letting go of unnecessary items, papers, etc until I read this memoir. Both my sister and I are very much of the 'if it doesn't work/isn't needed then get rid of it' approach and we think this is largely due to living with a parent who was (and still can be) reluctant to dispose of things. Thankfully our home was never so cluttered that our general living space was continually reduced, so I can fully appreciate how difficult things must have been for this author. The author's life with parents who hoarded pretty much everything is written about with sympathy but the frustration, embarrassment and anger are also clearly articulated, providing an insight into how difficult such a situation can be for both the hoarder and those who have to live with them. A recommended read.
on 10 December 2015
This is a well written memoir of growing up with hoarder parents. I have a parent who is a hoarder, thankfully not to this severity, but I can completely understand many of Kimberley's feelings- the shame about being ashamed of your parents behaviour and your home, not allowing friends in etc. Sometimes I found it hard to remember who a character was who had only been mentioned once or twice someone earlier, but overall it's a great fascinating book that gives real insight and shows a family with many issues but overall with an abundance of love.
on 29 December 2014
Amazing true life story of a daughter born into a house of dirt and chaos, due to her parents compulsion to hoard. Her acceptance of her parents way of life is touching, as she grows up amongst the increasing garbage and filth around the house. How she deals with her own, very different, homelife as she visits friends homes and realises that not everyone lives like this. The unwavering love which she gives her parents is only matched by her effort to help them live their lives out to their best potential, as she grows up, leaves home, and they become elderly and increasingly dependent on her. I ended the book feeling a great deal of respect for the family, a very touching story of a loving family, dealing with a terrible compulsion together.
on 18 December 2014
This is an amazing and heartfelt account of the impact of hoarding parents upon their beloved only daughter. There is a huge amount of insight to be gained into all aspects of living with and dealing with a mental health disorder. In particular it is fascinating to see the role of carer develop for Kimberly. It is impossible not to sympathise with her as she deals with the humiliation and frustration of the situation. What comes through, loud and clear, is her love for her parents and their love for her. Helped by friends she stands up for herself and emerges, relatively triumphant, although profoundly marked by the experience.
on 1 December 2014
a fascinating read, shows how difficult the condition of hoarding is to deal with but also shows loving caring parents which can be overlooked when conditions like this take over. I find the condition frustrating but interesting although I don't know anyone a true hoarder but I can understand how things can get out of hand and end up like it, just as obsessive cleaning, sorting etc is at the opposite end although naturally a clean tidy house seems much easier to deal with and looks nicer. Definitely read if you know anyone like this or if like me you like trying to understand the various human conditions as much as possible.