Customer reviews

on 7 September 2014
I enjoyed the book and admire Ken's determination to both educate himself and live debt free. I didn't give it 5 stars though because my kindle registered 65% of the way through the book when Ken actually bought the van! I had almost given up by this stage - there was an awful lot of hitchhiking, low-pay jobbing and filler before getting to what I expected - vandwelling.
on 13 January 2016
I started this book thinking I would read just a few pages, but I was gripped from the start. We really have become money slaves, with the necessity to work at jobs we do not like or positively hate to pay our bills and reduce our debt. Not everyone could live as this young man did but he did manage to stay true to his ideals and managed his debt in a most original way.
on 13 December 2013
There is a massive issue surrounding student debt and its impact on lives, and this book puts it firmly into context. The story is inspirational and although some of the author's responses to his debt are extreme, I found myself really rooting for him through his struggles. The writing is concise and sharp and the book rattled on at a good pace.
on 10 September 2014
At first, having read the sample, I was in two minds whether to go on but it did improve and I found it very interesting. However, why do men have to tell us about their intimate activities, i.e. masturbating? Is it just a macho thing? I, for one, think such information is totally unnecessary. Apart from that, Ken writes a good book!!!
on 26 September 2016
I came to this book some time after a visit to Alaska, Coldfoot and Wiseman. Whilst I was originally interested in the connection between the book and the places, it took me far further on the writer's journey into personal growth. As with all good writing, it is thought provoking and asks the reader to question themselves on some level.
on 20 August 2013
Ken Ilgunas takes the dry subject matter of student debt and turns it into a page turner by the use of dry humour. I must admit to not understanding that the title refers to the work Walden by Henry David Thoreau but I’ll be adding it to my wish list. The story is based in the USA and its collegiate system however, it’s so skilfully written it will engage most readers.
on 16 September 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I feel like I could relate to the author in so many ways about being fulfilled and what society expects of you. The book makes you feel like you know the author almost instantly, which I really enjoyed.

A brilliant read and definitely not one to be missed.
on 11 August 2013
Perhaps I had greater expectations of this book. I completely accept and applaud Ken Llgunas' premise for the story and his portrayl of his struggle to become and remain debit free was both riveting and entertaining. I salute his perseverance. The early part of the book is fascinating and shows his ingenuity and determination grow on a daily basis. The people portraits and the accounts of his relationships are both funny and moving. His love of the wilds of Alaska is remarkable.

Unfortunately, in the last quarter of the book, where he is 'into the rut' of van living whilst at university, statements of his all consuming aim of remaining debit free becomes a bit repetitious. Yes, its a hard life but I can't help feeling that here must have been some more interesting elements to break what seems (in this part of the book) the ongoing thread of 'god life in the van is crap but I'm not going to give up' - and make no mistake, he absolutely succeeds - more than I could have done. Well done and generally well written but less to grip the reader in the last quarter. Could I have done it (the life and the book) - absolutely not!
on 6 February 2017
I picked this book up as I'm a fellow adventurer, Walden lover and part time vandweller. Loved every minute and couldnt put this book down. Grab it and give it a good read. It will inspire you on your next adventure! Now I'm off to India and Nepal!!
on 18 January 2017
Really enjoyed it but I had a uni life a bit like this so it brought back memories. Good to remind yourself how life clutters us up and how we can get dragged into the conveyor belt if we're not careful. It was £1. You won't regret buying it!!