Customer reviews

on 7 January 2015
It's always difficult to review a collection of short stories, not simply because there is often such a variety of style within the collection that one story may be a five star read yet another significantly less. In this case all the stories are connected in theme, mainly paranormal/metaphysical and to be honest I enjoyed all of them. I have to say that the story from which the collection takes its name, 'The House of the Stormwind', is one of my favourites; closely followed by 'Assignment Humanity', which I found highly original. If you like the supernatural element then you will love these stories and if not, you will probably still find something within that you can take away with you. I found myself thinking about some of these stories days after I'd finished reading them so can thoroughly recommend this collection. They may be short and easy to read but this is no light reading matter.
on 7 April 2013
I'm not one for short stories particularly but I liked the title of this one, so thought I'd give it a go. What a surprise! It was fantastic. I read it almost in one sitting. Stories vary in length, some less than a 1000 words, other more hefty. The title story was one my favourites (as I suspected it would be!)followed by Midsummer Beauty and The Magim's Staff (the latter short but oh, so sweet). The writing is beautiful, imbued with magic and poetic at times. Thanks to Joanna Gawn, I'm not so prejudiced against short stories now and will in fact devour any offering this superb writer cares to give! A must-read collection either in one go (like me!) or to dip and delve into, not just once but again and again.
on 17 May 2013
I loved these short stories from the authors that are bringing us the Lazuli Portals. They reminded me of the TV series Tales of the Unexpected from Roald Dahl. Beautifully written and very evocative they explore our relationship with both ourselves and 'others'. My only complaint is that there weren't more of them.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse