TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 July 2015
Here is the wonderful old classic, written in prison by John Bunyan, made easier to read by modernising the language. It is a great allegory of the Christian life and repays thought and meditation on its timeless truths. If this edition can make the book accessible to a new generation, that can only be good, since our society has lost so many of its glorious thoughts and values. Valuable to every Christian, it should be a must on every reading list. I did slightly miss the beautiful, archaic language, but instead the story took on a new immediacy.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 March 2017
The Pilgrim's Progress was recommended to me quite a few years ago in my Bible Study Group, I have only just gotten around to getting it through the Kindle App. I haven't read all of it but it is an excellent read, truly captivating and very easy to follow. I think in the preface it said that John Bunyan wanted to write a parable, he certainly achieved that but it is so cleverly written that as I am reading,I can picture everything in my head.

I am enjoying The Pilgrim's Progress and can't wait to catch up over the weekend. This book came with the free downloadable audio book which I may as well listen to once I have finished this marvellous book.

I would recommend it, it was worth the wait.
on 13 February 2017
True, the story in modern English is printed in alarmingly dark shading along side the original text but if you hope to read the story as Bunyan wrote it this is actually quite brilliant. You can read along happily but if you hit a tricky word meaning or context and need a little assistance the modern text is right there waiting to help. The shading means the parrallel verses don't distract you and having a full alternative text means there is no hunting for footnotes and hoping the editor thought to offer an explanation for the problem words. Perhaps this version is not for everyone but it certainly works for me.
on 18 October 2014
Essential reading for everyone who seeks God the Christian way but is not fully prepared for all the obstacles, temptations and diversions which might be encountered from friends family and church members, who think there is a much easier moer comfortable way. All the Theology and NIV Bible quotations are there, plus a very helpful commentary at the end. Bunyan was locked alone in a prison cell most of the time when he wrote it. But others should not attempt to follow his solitary path as a guideline for finding God. It should be a joint enterprise as part of the body of Christ - his church, where in love, fellowship and unity, we say,"Our Father". The book is beautifully made with lovely illustrations and it bridges the centuries to bring Bunyan's words to life in modern comprehensible language, without changing the sense of what he wrote.
on 23 January 2014
Pilgrims Progress is a spiritual classic, but it is also a classic of literature. The scholarrly introduction gives a very clear understanding of the book and its background, and of Bunyan himself. Even for anyone with no interest in things Christian, it would be a rattling good yarn, vividly written so that when Christian and Hopeful are imprisoned in Doubting Castle by Giant Dispair the reader himself begins to feel dispair, and the battle with Appolyion is truly terrifying. The characters, despite their obviously didactic names, (for this is an allegory) are credible as human beings. Even the landscape is lovely, and for those who are interested, the Delectable Mountains are the Chilterns.
on 23 September 2015
What can be said that hasn't already been said, a timeless classic that still lives on as strong as when first written. The only difference is the ways to read and that so many more of us can read and enjoy. Even on a tablet I have enjoyed and learnt from this book and believe that the results may be the same you agree or disagree the route as individuals will vary because we are all so very different. I highly recommend this book and think you will enjoy and benefit from it because it can't have last this long and not be life impacting.
on 20 February 2017
While this is the Young Readers version, I absolutely love this version and plan to buy more to give to young family members(and someday will get around to reading the adult version- but expect I'll read this one several more times before then.) I personally had hoped for the cover pictured, as I have one with that cover and like it best. But I can always put a copy of it on those I give as gifts if preferred by the recipients, though I think they might possibly like the slightly more modern blue cover which I received from the seller, which was in excellent condition by the way.
on 18 February 2015
There are many different copies of Pilgrims Progresses around ,but this is absolutely awesome for the following reasons :-

1) Its a lovely large size ,so print is nice and easy to read.

2) Printed in 1896 ,so a genuine antique !

3) Contains both parts 1 nd 2 (Pilgrim's story ,and then his wife Christiana and her children.)

4)Illiustrated with some fabulous illustrations.

5) Copies can be got reasonably easily and without spending an awful lot of money ...a tenner should get you a nice copy.

6) Last but not least,a classic ,which is like a handmaid to the Bible,if you see what I mean,and so will bless you for sure !
on 25 August 2013
This is the most comprehensive format of this book I've come across to date. It is a bit heavy going, but the glossary does make it a little easier to understand. However, because there is so much to the glossary, it makes it a very long read (which I haven't, as yet, managed to plough through!) I'd recommend it for anyone wanting/needing a lot more information other than what the author wrote. It's always good to be able to look inside the book before making up one's mind to purchase.
on 4 August 2017
I purchased this book for a friend and she loves it and was taking it away on holiday with her. She likes the updated version