Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas with Elvis Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 3 May 2015
I thought the Misremembered Man a really excellent debut novel: funny, sympathetic characters and clever plotting with a satisfying final twist, and so had high expectations of this third book. Whilst also funny in parts, this one didn't engage me quite so much and the end twist seemed slightly pointless. But generally speaking, still a good, light read.
on 2 November 2013
Bessie lawless escapes her life in Belfast and the clutches of her tormentors, the dentist..who us actually a torturer with Bessie on his list. She moves into a small village in the country as respite. However this is not the quiet haven we first think. The locals are a colourful and interesting bunch who really make the story come to life. Unputdownable
on 18 September 2014
This is one of the best reads I've ever had. It was heart warming, funny and with a good story line.

It depicted : how a; women on her own with a son to bring up can overcome almost anything with love and determination. All about the hard times with little money; but with a wish to better oneself.

Would strongly recommend this/
on 12 September 2013
A brilliant read.. funny in places, sad in places.. it really made me think about what the people of northern Ireland must have gone through with the IRA at large, terrorising a country and it s inhabitants. It must have been awful living through the bombings and brutal murders. Christina wrote a brilliant book and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 18 October 2013
I good page turner and an enjoyable read, despite the dark subject. It was interesting to learn about the Irish characters, and how they coped in what were very difficult times.Made me laugh out loud in places!
A good insight into human nature in the face of adversity. I was sorry when it was finished. Will certainly read more of her work.
on 19 May 2014
I bought this book for my kindle,but was very disappointed. It was so boring. I persevered for about half the book hoping I would start to find some interest in something- the characters , the plot, anything! But sadly nothing! I love reading and dont give up easily once I have paid for a book, but Im afraid I had to give up on this one!
on 28 September 2013
Not such a great story as The Misremembered Man but still an entertaining read with plenty of humour and an interesting plot with an eclectic mix of characters. Set in rural Ireland against the background of terrorist violence it paints a picture of rural life where the inhabitants are not quite what they appear. A surprising ending .
on 17 November 2015
I just love Christina McKenna's writing and really enjoyed the Disenchanted Widow with its links to her earlier novel The Misremembered Man. It is nice to read a book that paints such a graphic picture of life in Northern Ireland in the 70's and 80's, has a marvellous storyline and concludes without leaving every story up in the air.
on 25 July 2014
Bit hard going to start with but once story line becomes clear it was a good read.
on 13 May 2014
If I cant put a book down and dont 'skip read,' then I give it 5 stars I was not sure at first, because of .the Irish troubles, I make it a rule NOT to read any thing that glorifies one side or the other. This did not do that, it was about the boy and his mother, the author. did not creep in any political message

i