on 2 June 2017
The story got on a slow start. Paced was turtle speed. I was getting restless. Almost quitting. I continued to turn the pages, nevertheless.

The plot thickens and I was surprised with the development. I've read the 1st and the 3rd book, then only realized that this is the second one. But you don't need to read in that sequence. Any one book is a standalone story albeit with some characters coming back to add colors to the plot. Now that I've read all three, I must say that all three books are amazingly laid out. The characters are all believable. With the author's clever use of pace and plotting, you grow to like the people. Even though I've not been to Belfast, reading this now give me a somewhat good impression of the people living in the towns she described.

This is another 5-star read for me. Although in this book I find the colloquial conversation (very Irish snort) a bit difficult to grasp, I enjoyed it. The twist in the last few chapters was captivating, I didn't see it coming. A great read for me.
on 20 September 2013
A light fun read with some witty one liners. Kept me engaged enough and I loved references to the period in time, brought back memories! My favourite line "she was that plain looking not even the tide would take her out!"
on 11 April 2017
Not read this authors book before but thoroughly enjoyed it from the first page. Some of the accent took some following but got there in the end. And it was sad in places but also very funny, i had tears running down my face.
on 22 April 2014
I loved this book but I knew that I would. I read "The Misremembered Man" a while ago by the same author and loved that book also. "The Disenchanted Widow" is set in Ireland in the early 80's during the "troubles" but still manages to see the funny side of life. Bessie and Herckie her young son are on the run from an IRA brute known as The Dentist. This is a story about their adventures in Tailorstown where they find themselves after their car breaks down. Read this book you will not be disappointed. God Blissus and Saveus!
on 4 May 2017
Not a book I would usually read but thoroughly enjoyed it. Funny and sad in places and didn't want to put it down
Would thoroughly recommend reading.
on 25 September 2013
It was good to read a story set in a time that I remember! The central two characters, the widow and her son, are really colourful, as are many of the other characters. Some parts were extremely funny but for me, the urgency for them to leave their situation took a little of the comedy away.
I found it easy to read the parts in the brogue and would recommend this book for lovers of Irish characters.
on 27 July 2017
This book was really good, it kept me guessing I enjoyed it.. I would recommend it to a friend of mine
on 19 May 2015
I enjoyed this interesting book. Widowed Bessie Halstone escapes her miserable life in Belfast along with her son. She sets off for rural Ireland only to find that things are not as quiet as she thought. Well written and hugely enjoyable.
on 18 November 2015
An unusual story. Although based to a certain extent on facts that occurred during this period of the troubles, this tale is fiction. An odd assortment of characters to entertain the reader.
on 9 May 2017
Good read for on the beach (or anytime), kept your attention all the way through. Showed a different perspective to the troubles. Enjoyed it and have downloaded a further book by Christina McKenna.