Customer reviews

I was looking for a nice, light summery book to read and this one happened to catch my eye. And I ended up loving it!
I loved that this was such a geeky book. It was making me want to go and buy tonnes of comics and spend hours playing video games. But I was too hooked into the story to do all of that.

So our main character Madelyne is popular. But she's a massive geek at heart. She hides all of this because she thinks her friends will outcast her for being geeky. At first, I was pretty annoyed with Madelyne for hiding this part of her and pretending to be someone else. I gradually started to understand why she did it, but I was still annoyed at her for not being true to herself. It meant she was constantly lying to her friends and watching her back so that she didn't get caught. But I actually did like her. She was such a brilliant character.

And then Logan walks into her world. Logan is everything Madelyne wishes she could be. He's a geek and he doesn't care what other people think. He's sweet, funny, charming and extremely geeky (which I loved so much!). His family owns a comic book store where he works and it's also where he and Maddie have their first encounter.

I loved Maddie and Logan together. He brought out the best in her and made her more herself. He gradually got her to come out of her shell and embrace her inner geek. I loved seeing when they were out together LARPing or hanging around at the comic book store. They were just so perfect.

So Logan's best friend (who's name has slipped my mind right now, but I'm pretty sure it begins with a D) was awesome too! He was hilarious! He had some good advice for Maddie and he helped her along the way.

This was such an adorable read. I was smiling and laughing most of the way through this book (although the laughing had to be kept to a minimum since I was up until 2am reading it). But I just couldn't get enough of this book or the characters. It was so cute!
If you're looking for a light, summer read then this is definitely a book I recommend.
As soon as I saw this pop up on a friends TBR on Goodreads I *had* to have it! Nerd, comics, sci-fi, conventions, adorkable hunks, like hello my dream life! My life is pretty much as listed above except for the absence of the adorkable geeky boy...sigh one day!!

Our heroine is Maddie, the quintessential popular girl in high school. Cheerleader, dating the quarterback, knows the dance moves to all the hip songs and is seen in all the right places...except she's also a huge geek about comic books, sci-fi and all the other delicious things we nerds love! An incident when she was 12 where she was made fun of her nerd loving ways has made her wary of sharing her secret love and she's built up walls separating Maddie the cheerleader and Maddie the Nerd. Hence her double life. When her favourite comic book's latest release isn't delivered to her house, she must venture into nerd heaven, the local comic store, a place she's only dreamed of visiting and face cute adorable Logan, who she's harboured a crush on for months.

The story is really a lot of fun and there's some amazing scenes including LARPing which I really want to do now and some great comic book conversations that were right up my street. Maddie is really likeable but at times it did frustrate me how unwilling she was to embrace her nerdy ways as it meant relationships with friends and family were constantly under strain with her lies about who she's with and where she is especially considering the people she's so afraid of judging her like her boyfriend and best friend never say anything bad about comics etc.

Her friendship and burgeoning relationship with Logan was without a doubt the high point of the book! He was so sweet and butterfly inducing in every scene and I wanted to squee at every moment! There's one scene where he dedicates his show to Maddie that was so sweet I was like a puddle of swoony goo! All the secondary characters were well realised and fun to get to know especially Logan's family and Maddie's dad and a special shout out to Logan's bff Dan who is simply hilarious!

The message about being true to yourself and facing your fears comes through clearly and reminds you that whether you're in high school or not, the only self that can truly make you happy is yours.

The Summer I became a Nerd is a short, sweet, fun read ideal for summer and guaranteed to put you into a good mood!
on 15 July 2013
Summer's here, which means I am experiencing my annual craving for summer contemporaries. I think the main reason for this is the English weather.

The Summer I Became a Nerd promised to be a light read with a cute romance and a main character who discovers herself and comes to accept it. And that is exactly what this book is. It's nothing amazing, but I think it would do for a quick read if you need a break between bigger stuff.

I really connected to Maddie, the main character, because she spent a lot of time hiding who she really was. I went through a phase like this where I struggled keeping two different parts of myself separate, and it wasn't great. Now I'm older I don't really care what people think, but it was nice to read about a character who was keeping such a huge part of her life a secret.

Maddie was an awful friend, though. I would have liked to have seen a stronger relationship (and more scenes) between her and her best friend, Terra. I really enjoy platonic relationships between friends, and it was quite saddening that Terra and Maddie's relationship wasn't focused on more, especially since Maddie had been hiding her nerdy personality from Terra for years.

While I found the love story cute, I didn't feel much chemistry between Maddie and Logan. I wasn't comparing them to Veronica Mars and Logan Echolls, I promise. I just didn't feel a connection. And then there was the fact that Logan was rather moody, and not in a hot-broody kind of way. I get annoyed when female characters storm off when someone annoys them or when things don't go their way, and I found it just as ridiculous when Logan did it. I was rolling my eyes at him.

The LARPing addition was really clever, because it meant there could be a huge battle/showdown at the end. What other contemporary book can say that? Also it made me really interested in LARPing, especially since Supernatural had an episode that featured it. I'd be a brilliant elven queen.

I wish I could say that I'm a comic book geek, but those things are so damn expensive. So I didn't understand most of the references. If Maddie had read the Beano then I would have got it, but nope. No Dennis the Menace in sight.

Overall TSIBAN was fun, light, and fast paced. A good contemporary to get you into the mood for a summer full of similar reads!
I'm going to start my review by talking about the cover. I don't think I've ever mentioned a cover in a review before but I just LOVE this one. I don't really know what it is about it that I love but I do. It might be the bright colours on it, it might be the quirky font, hell it might even be the killer legs on it (I WISH I had those legs!) I just really like it. It's different, and that fits the story. because Madelyne is different.

Madelyne is a nerd. Only no-one knows that and no-one can EVER know that. Madelyne has worked too hard to hide her true nerd self, after a traumatic nerd shaming experience, to let it be exposed. But then there's a disaster of epic proportions when the final issue of her favourite comic is delayed. Maddie has to go to the local comic book store to get her fix, and the fun starts from there!

I absolutely loved this story! I will hold my hands up and admit that lots of the comic book references and in-jokes, that I've read about since finishing, went over my head, but that didn't stop my enjoyment of this book. It was fun, cute, geeky, quirky and perfect, and I loved the overall message of the book

"Be true to yourself and others will be true to you, too"

Madelyne learned a valuable lesson as the story went on. She was faced with two choices - she could either continue to hide who she was or she could show her true self and possibly find happiness with someone who liked her for exactly who she was - a nerd.

I liked Maddie a lot. I liked how she was "normal". What 17 year old girl isn't obsessed with how people see her and what they think of her? I thought her going backwards and forwards with her feelings was normal too - did she really want to out herself and suffer what she thought would be the consequences?

I love, love, LOVED Logan! What a sweet guy! How many other guys would go help a girl out and pick her up when she calls out of the blue like that? One who hasn't even been able to tell him who she really is by this point.

So, yeah, I can definitely say I would recommend The Summer I Became a Nerd. In fact, I already HAVE recommended it to a LOT of people! As sweet and cute as it was I didn't expect to have a book hangover after finishing it, but I did. It took me another week to find a book I wanted to stick with after TSiBaN. That's definitely the sign of a good book for me. Go read it!
on 26 July 2013
The Summer I Became a Nerd is a cute and lovable read, one that kept me smiling all the way through because it was so enjoyable.

Seventeen-year-old Maddie is a popular cheerleader who does everything to keep her reputation in place. She's the perfect girl, the perfect girl-friend and the perfect student. However, Maddie is hiding a secret - she secretly a nerd who loves comic books. When an encounter with Logan; another nerd happens, she's left wondering what will become of her now. Can she really be popular and a nerd at the same time? But can she always hide who she really is?

I wasn't expecting much from this story, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up enjoying it. Maddie is a really fun character, one that I believe many readers will relate too. It's easy to see why Maddie hides who she is, I'm a firm believer that you should always be who you really are but, for a teenager, I can see why Maddie did her hardest to try and fit in - even if it didn't make her happy. She was scared of becoming an outcast and I guess that would scare anyone her age.
Logan really stood out as a character - he knew who he was and didn't care what anyone else thought of him. He's in touch with his inner nerd and proud of it. I really loved how he brought Maddie out of her shell when it came to the games conventions and dressing up etc.. I have to say it was interesting to read about the game conventions - I'm a total stranger to this world, so it read about it was very entertaining.

The story itself, even though it was tad predictable, was still a great read. It's full of fun moments and a love story that is very cute. The Summer I Became a Nerd is definitely a book that you should check out this summer.
If you know me you'll know that I love nerdy contemporary YA, so as soon as I heard about The Summer I Became a Nerd I freaked out and bought it straight away and I'm so glad that I did! This was such a `Jess book' and I loved it so much that it's now up there as one of my favourite contemporaries.

Like her favourite superhero's Maddie has a secret identity - popular cheerleader by day, nerdy comic book lover by night. Summer is Maddie's favourite time of year, she gets a break from school and from being the person everyone expects her to be, can catch up on her TBR list and chat on online fan forums to her hearts content. I loved Maddie from the moment I found out that she keeps a comic book journal to write down her thoughts and favourite quotes! I could understand her wanting to keep her nerdy side a secret - although my friends knew about my nerdy ways when I was at school I was teased for it and know first-hand that that's no fun. I love this book for busting stereotypes and Leah Rae Miller for creating a heroine who's a cheerleader but who also loves comic books with a passion. Basically I thought that Maddie was pretty freakin' awesome and only wished that she had the confidence to share her awesomeness with the rest of the world.

During a secret mission to the local comic book store for the latest issue of her favourite comic - The Super Ones #400 - Maddie runs into Logan the cute nerdy guy from school who works there. Logan quickly sees through Maddie's poor disguise and the two soon start regularly hanging out as Logan introduces Maddie to the world of nerd and teaches her to embrace her inner geek. Sweet, nerdy, boy next door types are my favourite, so I fell for Logan at Flash speed. Maddie and Logan's romance was so adorbs and is full of super cute moments. A personal favourite of mine was when they showed each other their very best happy dance. You see! Isn't that adorable!? This book was full of moments like this one that made my cheeks hurt from the big goofy grin I wore during every page of this book.

The Summer I Became a Nerd is full of nerdy references that are worked into the story that you'll appreciate if you're into the same things as Maddie. I also enjoyed learning more about LARPing (live action role play) which is something I didn't know a whole lot about before reading this book. Now I definitely want to take part in something like it in the future because it sounded like so much fun!

Overall I pretty much loved everything about this book. It was a cute, fun, summer read packed full of awesome nerdy goodness and the important message of being true to who you are. The Summer I Became a Nerd is without a doubt one of my favourite reads of the summer so far!
Denying her inner love of comic books since she was laughed off the school stage, Madelyne Summers secretly reads them on line. She is distraught that the final instalment of a series is delayed - this is paper only and she just has to know how the story ends. Bravely she actually visits a comic book store. Logan, behind the counter, is Maddie's secret idol from school. Logan allows her to borrow his comic book, and this begins a summer when instead of her cheerleader personality on show, she nourishes her inner self.

Conflicted about her popular image, and her quarterback boyfriend, Maddie gets to know Logan. The comic book store is like an Aladdin's cave, and Logan's the first person, other than her dad and brother, who shares her interests. She's supposed to be spending time with her girl pal Terra. Logan's got a Saturday pass to a comic and SF convention in Shreveport, not far away. Maddie risks blowing her cover, but then she realises - nobody who knows her will be there. Unfortunately the date clashes with Terra's music idol in concert. How can Maddie decide?

I enjoyed the role-play costume party. The in-between segments, full of what-if-I'm-seen moments, were slower and less interesting. There's actually plenty going on in this book. Maddie, far from being an airhead, is an athlete with a sharp brain. Once she starts to live dangerously it's great to see her making new friends - but can she handle social suicide?

This is a witty tale with a serious point. I have never understood the pathetic desire to fit in and be accepted, especially around girls with pink glitter for brains. I read The Lord of The Rings and Nevil Shute as a young teen; I went to Dungeons and Dragons and showjumping. Why can't American girls learn to be who they are? I don't see any allure in comic books, unless someone wants to be a graphic artist, but real books and SF conventions are fun and healthy and the proof of an enquiring mind.
on 22 May 2013
I saw The Summer I Became A Nerd on Netgalley and the synopsis drew me in immediatley. I requested it but didn't really expect to be accepted so I was super excited to find I had been.

Madelyne Summers is leading a double life. On the outside she is a gorgeous cheerleader who dates the star quarterback, but behind closed doors she is a secret geek, fangirling over the newest comic or movie. Her two worlds haven't crossed paths for years, until the fateful day she makes a trip to The Phoenix, a local comic store to purchase a copy of the Super Ones #400, the last one is the series and only available in print copy, one that she has to wait 4-6 weeks to be delivered due to being out of stock.
Logan works at The Phoenix, well technically his family owns the store so he looks after it rather than works there, but he also attends Madelyne's school, and he sees through her disguise but keeps it a secret from school. Soon this duo find themselves spending lots of time together, discussing comics and playing LARP games.

I instantly loved Madelyne, there was something about her, possibly the fact that she is a secret geek, that made me like her and want to know more about her. When she tries to be all sneaky and secretive when going to get her comic I thought it was cute and ridiculous that she would think her flaky disguise would mean she was safe.

I love Logan and his family. His Mum was a cheerleader in school, married a geek, and has no qualms about showing off her cheer leading skills to Madelyne. Logan has three siblings who remind me so much of my childhood growing up and petty arguments, although a lot of the time it was me getting picked on. Although we don't get to see them much it was another case of instant love for them.

I loved every single page of The Summer I Became A Nerd, the characters are believable and likeable, even the popular crowd don't seem so bad in small doses. Trying to live a double life is bound to end up crashing down on Madelyne, and when it does she is left to pick up the pieces and try to sort out what she truly wants from life. I enjoyed getting to see how Madelyne's double life unfolded between the pages, and while she does make some silly mistakes when she tries to repent her ways she certainly does it in a spectacular way. I love the geeky references thrown into this The Summer I Became A Nerd and while some parts of it were extremely geeky, especially the LARP (live action role playing), it sounds cool when reading it in a book, but it's not something I would personally do.

The Summer I Became A Nerd was a light fun read that was a refreshing change to my latest reads. Leah Rae Miller is definitely on my to watch list now and if at some point in the future we get to visit Madelyne again, I will definitely be picking up the book.

*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
on 26 August 2014
I bought The Summer I Became a Nerd as a fun and easy summer read, having liked Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Geek Girl by Holly Smale.
While it was pretty fun, there were some key elements that just made it really lacking for me.

First, the nerdiness: I don't know that much about comics, but I felt that the whole nerdy thing was just kind of fake. (Though the LARPing was fun.) So, if you're looking for something nerdy, then look elsewhere.
Secondly, the romance. I really wanted to like Logan, but I just couldn't. Every time Maddie saw him she went on about how 'cute' and 'dorky' he was. He was not a well-rounded character; I felt like his main character trait was being a dork. Every he started to come to life for me, he said something 'totally adorkable' and the whole thing just broke apart. What I was expecting was something more along the lines of Fangirl, or Skin Deep, or Geek Girl, but this was just...no.
Thirdly, the storyline and characters. Maddie was okay as a narrator, but it seemed half the other characters (her brother, Ro, Logan's friend, Dan, Logan's mum) were there just to help Maddie along.

Altogether, it was a nice read, and I'll be looking out for Leah Rae Miller in the future, but there are some flaws that just let it down. Other books that I would suggest are any of those that I have mentioned, as well as Eleanor & Park.
on 4 June 2013
Maddie has a big secret, one she's worked very hard to keep. When she was little she dressed up as her favourite comic book hero for Halloween and got laughed at. She swore never to feel that way again and worked hard to be popular.

I had so much fun reading The Summer I Became a Nerd. Maddie is a wonderful narrator and easy to relate to. There is an innocence about her, like the over the top disguise for sneaking into The Pheonix (the local comic book store) and how unsure Maddie is of her place in the world.

Once Maddie's in Logan's world however the reader is treated to a front row seat of in-depth comic analysis, LARPing and a really sweet romance. There are some hilarious moments that had me laughing out loud (thankfully not in public) and I loved how believable all the characters are.

The Summer I Became a Nerd will leave you with a big smile on your face.