on 10 September 2013
This album is so good, I though Sexsmith would struggle keeping up to his amazing standard over the years, but he really hasn't.

This album is a bit more chilled than the last one, and is so easy to listen to all the way through in one sitting.

Not predictable or samey in comparison to his other albums, I actually think I prefer this album to Long Player, Late Bloomer.

Cheapest you will get it here on amazon, with fast deliver, cannot complain.
on 18 March 2017
Thanks
on 22 June 2013
This album contains some of the best songs I've heard for ages but, as other contributors have noted, it takes time for them to emerge in their full splendour. It's a warm, glowing, golden sound and Sexsmith's voice is deeper and more resonant than ever. What a great songwriter he is - even the simplest lyrics are full of wisdom and a gentle, humane vision.
on 26 November 2016
Ron is a great singer and this CD is well worth buying
on 30 October 2014
Heard this on BBC Radio 2, Bob Harris played it. Excellent quiet catchy tunes, one of the better CDs bought this year.
on 20 August 2016
This man should be huge, great album.
on 23 July 2013
I didn't instantly like this album if I am honest. It's my first Ron Sexsmith album, and I bought it as I has tickets to his show in Birmingham. Anyway, gave it a chance, went to see him live, now love it!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 June 2013
I'm a big admirer of Ron Sexsmith. I discovered his music years ago after one of my musical heroes, Elvis Costello, enthused about him to a music magazine. Costello is usually a man of impeccable taste (I have discovered quite a few artists through his covers and recommendations) and he didn't steer me wrong in this case; my collection of Ron's albums grew very quickly until there was nothing left to buy. The vast majority of Sexsmith albums are excellent and are generally slow-burners which get better with every listen. "Forever Endeavour" is no exception to this rule. In fact, I have to admit that I was vaguely disappointed when I heard it for the first time, but after quite a few listens, it is now one of my favourite releases of the year. This is quite a familiar experience when it comes to Ron Sexsmith's music - the songs get you in the end.

"Forever Endeavour", Ron's thirteenth studio album, is a collection of predominantly gentle, subtly melodic songs, ably and tastefully produced by Mitchell Froom, someone Ron has worked with many times before. It sees a return to a more familiar carefully-crafted sound after 2011's brilliant but slightly more polished "Long Player Late Bloomer" produced by Bob Rock, a name more associated with acts such as Metallica and Bon Jovi rather than a singer-songwriter such as Ron. This album feels more organic than the last (Ron's superb, characteristic voice was unnecessarily tampered with on "Long Player" which, to me, was the major fault of the whole album) and I suspect that long-time fans will also appreciate hearing a record that has the same kind of ambience as those earlier albums which made us fall deeply in love with his music.

There are plenty of notable tracks on "Forever Endeavour" and the album's first few songs, in particular, are superb. "Nowhere To Go" has a delicately beautiful melodic theme, "Nowhere Is" and "If Only Avenue" are simply gorgeous pieces with Ron's expressive voice augmented by sublime arrangements, featuring strings that tastefully enhance and compliment his vocals perfectly. The catchy, bluesy "Snake Road" sees Ron revisiting regrettable episodes in his past and hoping that he doesn't make the same mistakes again, "Sneak Out The Back Door" is a charming little ditty which betrays Sexsmith's discomfort with social situations, "Me, Myself and Wine" has an immensely likeable New Orleans, swing-jazz character and "Autumn Light", the final track, is almost painfully sad and yet quietly magnificent.

Although "Forever Endeavour" isn't quite enough of a masterpiece for me to declare it my new favourite Ron Sexsmith album, it certainly sits comfortably amongst his best work and doesn't contain one dull or even average track and is a thoroughly lovely, mature, accomplished piece of work which is a credit to Ron, the band (featuring two of Elvis Costello's Imposters, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher) and Mitchell Froom, the talented producer who always seems to get the very best out of the underrated Canadian songsmith. Just don't make the mistake of dismissing this wonderful album after one listen, because one listen of this album simply isn't enough to really appreciate it.
on 9 February 2013
I have to confess from the outset; I am a huge fan of Ron Sexsmith. So any new releases are always eagerly anticipated. But putting aside my natural bias, this is an exceptional album. It may lack the radio friendly pop sheen of its' predecessor, 'Long Player, Late Bloomer'. But this is a lush, lavish sounding affair with wonderful arrangements, courtesy of long time producer and friend Mitchell Froom. Personal highlights for me are 'Nowhere Is, the Beatles' sounding 'Back Of My Hand', 'Deepens With Time,' the gorgeous melody in 'Autumn Light' and the wonderful simplicity of Ron and his guitar in perfect harmony on 'Sneak Out The Back Door.' The orchestrations never detract from the overall sound of the album; and it's particularly heartening to hear Ron's vocals right up front in the mix. His voice has never sounded better.

If you're the kind of person who likes to kick back with an album, and savour it in its' entirety, and also enjoy songwriters in the style of McCartney, Costello, Hardin etc, then this could be the album for you.
on 18 March 2013
having been introduced recently to Ron via the Long Player Late Bloomer documentary and CD I was nervous that it would be difficult for him to follow that up however he has proved me wrong and these tracks are another fine set of songs from the great songsmith. Recently saw him live at The Royal Albert Hall and all the songs off this CD came over extremely well live particularly Snake Road and Sneak out the backdoor and Blind eye - if you are new to Ron this is a great little set of songs. do try it out