on 2 April 2012
While it's fairly obvious that the publisher's marketing team is behind most of the positive reviews so far, the book is indeed worthy of praise. Aside from the usual common-sense advice and basic working habits most people internalized years ago (the grammar chapter, for example), I did find a lot of the tips in this book useful and practical (in particular the chapter on communicating with clients/colleagues). Recommended.
on 15 December 2011
Picked this up recently on the recommendation of a collegue as I was looking for some advice on my career. The book clearly outlines ideas and suggestions for really standing out from the crowd. My trainee intake was around 50 so anything that gives you the edge is invaluable.

The author used to be a comedy writer and the humour comes through making it an easy but informative read. Loved the bit at the end where it describes how to escape from your desk whilst looking busy !
on 23 December 2011
Saw this book in Hammicks and bought it online - really good section on legal presentation skills, something I was worried about before starting my job.
on 18 May 2016
I feel I ought to point out that the book contains the following statement:

"The fact that you are 'clever' or 'bright', have an IQ of 243 and probably went to a good university (being the type where you 'read' Law, or perhaps History, Philosophy, English, Classics, as opposed to one in which you 'did' Law) is of no significance. It is the romantic equivalent of telling someone on a date that your mum thinks you are good-looking".

It's possible that the author actually intended to suggest that the former attributes are more "romantic" than such a date might turn out to be, though it seems to me more likely that it's a whoopsy-daisy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 January 2012
I bought this book as a first seat trainee and found it to be a great, simple to read, simple to use and easy to follow book for an introduction to this topic.
on 23 December 2011
Bought this after our L&D team recommended it - excellent, practical content and written humorously. The basic grammar stuff is really useful - forgotten all of it since school!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 January 2013
This was a gift for my daughter who was very pleased with it - she read it from cover to cover and learned a lot of useful and helpful tips on how to get ahead as a commercial solicitor also handy tips on what to and what not to do as a trainee solicitor, would recommend the book to other law students looking for a training contract
on 16 December 2011
This book was recommended to me by a colleague after I complained about there being a lack of simple practical advice for junior lawyers. The book was very helpful and unlike others I've looked at it was easy to read and gave practical and useful suggestions.

The style it was written in differed to others too as the author isn't your typical out of date/unable to relate to us stuffy lecturer type!
on 19 December 2011
As a junior commercial lawyer I found this book extremely informative and helpful. I feel much more confident at work as a result of reading this book and the advice given is at the same time useful and humourous. I really recommend this book to all junior lawyers.
on 27 February 2013
Excellent book. Very current, up-to-date material. I would fully recommend this book as well-written, easily accessible and insightful. All law undergraduates should get a copy.