on 10 May 2015
My first kindle book, I am 3/4 of the way through and I am finding it hard to put down, bought because it was cheap but I am really enjoying it.
on 30 July 2014
I am amazed that this book is so highly rated. In my view it takes two very serious subjects - Mao's decimation of China and the despicable one child rule - and trivialises them by weaving them in to an highly unrealistic plot. The central character is portrayed as a saintly being who emerges from the terror of the Mao regime and devotes his life to saving abandoned girls from the gutters. Unconvincing to say the least. I won't be reading the sequels ....
on 2 August 2014
A very sad story but it is also truths in what the author's written about girls being abandoned in China. Only boys were welcomed especially old traditional family.
on 4 November 2017
really enjoyed this book, so different. as soon as I finished it I got the sequel.
on 14 April 2014
An excellent book full of pathos. Describes a way of life we in the west can only imagine, it's a look into another worldwide
on 4 December 2017
Excellent reading. Didn't want to put it down.
on 2 May 2014
I absolutely loved this book, it just flowed, from one page to another, I just could not put it down. The trials and tribulations and triumph in the face of hardship. A truly beautiful read.....!
on 4 June 2014
Liked the book very much, was an easy read. Loved the characters can't wait to read the next one soon
on 28 January 2014
This book in its own way introduces the reader to life in China during and after Mao's reign . It is absolutely mindboggling
on 17 April 2014
This book is interesting in that it gives an insight into the China of the past and the present. However it was spoilt for me by the poor language - it was full of American anachronisms and very poor grammer. I read it to the end but would not read the sequels as it made such irritating reading.