Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 May 2015
Charmingly told story of a young boy facing changes in his life which seem to threaten his fragile security. The book is full of warmth and humour, with memorable characters and believable situations. Its theme is the human heart, with its need for love, security, moral boundaries and beauty. Think 'The Waltons' with more Christian content. I am not a great fan of Christian fiction, but this book made me want to read the whole series. I loved it!
on 6 February 2016
When I about half way though, I remember reading this book many years ago. My mother read many of the Janette Oke books, she was her favourite author. It was good to get enjoyable Christian novel books to read.
on 12 May 2014
I was delighted to find this free for my Kindle, as I remembered enjoying it many years ago when I first read it. The story is told by the young teenage Josh who was orphaned at a young age, and lives on a farm with his grandfather, great-uncle, and Aunt Lou. Lou is only a few years older than he is, but runs the kitchen and household effectively, while Josh combines a zest for life with a great deal of hard work, both at school and on the farm where he has a lot of daily chores.

The arrival of Josh's great-grandfather shakes things up a bit, as does his grandfather's determination to find a suitable young man for Lou.

The book is a well-drawn picture of life in a bygone era in the US, with a surprising amount of human interest. I found tears welling up more than once as I read. There's some rather overt Christian content at the end which might irritate some readers, but it's not over-the-top, and in the context of the story is relevant and believable.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Suitable for teens or older children as well as adults.
on 13 February 2001
"Once upon a Summer" is a delightful Jeanette Oke book. In Josh she has created a loveable, true to life character. The plot gripped me from the start and made me want to read the rest of the "Season of the Heart" series. Some scenes made me chuckle and others I found really touching. The moral tone of her books are truly Christian which I appreciated. I am looking forward to reading many more of her books.
on 19 March 2014
This is as lovely a book as you ever could wish to read. Imagine being wrapped up in a warm blanket, nibbling the best chocolate or sipping the best wine on a cold snowy day and your most loved person in the world sitting alongside you. Well those warm contented feelings are exactly the same feelings that you get from the story and characters in this book. If you like Little House on the Prairie you will love this book.
on 1 April 2016
A beautiful story that highlights the importance of family life and how good life could be when you are surrounded by people who love you. Living on a farm and being an orphan couldn't have been easy for Joshua, the main character in the story, but somehow many of the issues that arise from those factors are watered down because of the loving relationship that exists between him and his extended family members.
Joshua values the balance/stability that his family brings to his life so small wonder he feels threatened when suitors begin to call on his beloved Aunt Lou who is a friend, sister and mother rolled into one. Joshua struggles to deal with the change he feels her getting married would bring to his 'settled world' and tries to thwart some of the suitors' plans.
'Once upon a summer' is a beautifully crafted story that reveals how Joshua navigates his way through life and deals with the issues of loss, change to his lifestyle and ultimately understanding and accepting the love of God.
I will certainly be reading more books by this author.
on 29 January 2014
a nice easy novel, I felt I was part of the story, I hope to read more of her books
on 24 March 2014
This is a great book on how generations can live together. There are so many mixed feeling that come to the for front for a little boy. This boy does not know how to handle these feelings but with his aunts help is able to see the light and how things that he is frightened of come good
on 1 August 2015
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a very easy reader that leaves you feeling uplifted. I felt a connection with the characters right from the outset and can't wait to find out if there is another book in the series. Very well written, engaging and heart warming.
on 24 November 2015
This book is an A Little House on the Prairie/Waltons type story, written in U.S.country drawl. Not a lot of storyline,but pleasant. I don't think I would bother to read another of these books as the plot was quite predictable.