on 16 February 2011
If you loved Percy Jackson, I'm sure you will like this. Set in seemingly the same world as Percy is (there is a reference to different gods living on the other side of the river) this is the story of Sadie and Carter - brother and sister - who come to realise they are not just ordinary children, but are part of the ancient civilisation of Egypt - gods, magicians and all!

Once again, there are thrills and spills, plot twists and lots of "he's the bad guy, no wait, HE'S the bad guy!". I had just come from reading one of my favourite sci-fi novels Dune and was thinking that a "kids" book would be a bit of a come down. Whilst not having the character depth and philosophy, it is nonetheless and great read for all ages. It has a touch of the Indiana Jones about it, whilst maintaining an originality that is rather rare in books nowadays.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it's a book for kids, and don't be put off by the film of Percy Jackson. If you read this, you are in for a real treat!
23 people found this helpful
on 22 December 2016
Wow. Rick Riordan, the writer of the amazing Percy Jackson series of novels, has come up with another great book.

The plot is full of action, drama and humour and the characters are well developed throughout the book. I must admit, I can't help but love the novel.

The book itself was delivered in great condition and arrived on time, which I am very thankful for.

Indeed, I would recommend the book to any enthusiastic reader.
One person found this helpful
on 17 June 2013
I really enjoyed the percy jackson series so was keen to see what else Rick Riordan had written.
I was pleasantly surprised when i heard about the Kane chronicles. We go from greek/roman mythology to Egyptian mythology. I have always been fascinated by the Egyptians and have found these a very good read.

It is very much written in a similar style as the Percy Jackson series and is both therefore easy to read & entertaining. The story is told from the point of view of the Kane siblings, each taking they're turn with the next chapter. Which is interesting and helps fill in a lot of the blanks.

Overall if you enjoyed the PJ series you will love this too. I found it amusing how in certain places there are references to the PJ storyline which only made me like this more.
on 14 April 2017
These are excellent books - very interesting story and quite different in style and content to Percy Jackson
on 14 September 2017
My niece was thrilled with these books, even though they arrived with a dent to the spines.
on 29 June 2016
It was very good with a dramatic ending, it is also quite educational with ancient times mixed into the modern world. It's a brilliant book but don't bother trying to pronounce some words because they're just impossible to say. That's not all he even has 3 other linked series' with completely different gods. I rate the other books with the same rating here.5 STARS!!! READ HIS BOOKS!!!
on 14 May 2014
This book was very hard to put down, the books by the myth genius Rick Riordan are the greatest books i have read, the stories he writes grip me and wont let go. I admit there was less action compared to the "Heroes of Olympus" stories, but it made up for it in great story, characters and writing style. Unlike the "heroes of Olympus" and "Percy Jackson" series, The Kane Chronicles are based on Egyptian mythology, which are entirely new to me, but it made sure to allow even people oblivious to Egyptian myths to follow and enjoy the story easily! Highly recommended for you myth fans, I'm extremely excited to continue the series!
on 7 December 2017
Worth the money and delivered quickly.
on 26 February 2015
I bought this book for my 11-year-old son, who likes reading but gets tired of it, and he just couldn't pit it down, literally! We had to hurry to buy the other books in the series! Very pleased indeed.
on 3 November 2010
Bought this book for my 10 year old bookworm of a son, he has devoured all the Percy Jackson stories and is a keen Rick Riordan fan so I knew he would enjoy this. I was right - he has just written a book review of it for his homework and described it as the best book he's ever read!!!

I can't give a synopsis of it as I haven't read it myself, but apparently it is to do with Egyptian gods and myths (whereas Percy Jackson was based on the Greek gods) and is very exciting - my son couldn't put it down, and said every page was thrilling!
One person found this helpful