Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 April 2013
Downloading this album corresponded with the sun coming out for the first time in ages and both helped to cheer me up. I first came across Frank supporting Greenday in London despite him coming from up the road in Winchester and he did a great set in a wide open Wembley Stadium, engaging the crowd and mixing up slower sing-alongs with more up-tempo numbers. This album reflects that with thoughtful lyrics, catchy melodies and rousing choruses. The thing I like about Frank is there is always a sense of optimism and humour running through his albums so his darker songs are balanced but also have more impact. Note there is both a 12 track and 18 track version of the album so check you are ordering the correct one. I am missing the last 6 and will have to download them individually when I've finished playing through the ones I have.
on 5 June 2014
Love every track. Each one sounds unique and different to the last but I can still hear and know the words to each and every one. Having seen him play at the Eden Sessions two years ago I was really pleased to see a new album and was not disappointed at all. I have had this a month or so now and it is still one of my most played albums.

I particularly recommend Tell Tale Signs, Anymore and Broken Piano - they are my absolute favourites on here.
on 19 May 2016
I was late finding out about Frank Turner. My musical tastes were very different. I first saw Frank Turner on the Morgan spurlock show singing I still believe. The next day I went out and bought England Keep My Bones. This album is as good as that and contains the most catchy song I have ever heard. Four Simple Words. But the whole album is outstanding, energetic and cheers you up. The guy is a genius.
on 7 July 2013
I loved Frank Turner's previous albums. However, Poetry of the Deed wasn't his best, so I wasn't expecting much from this CD. But I was wrong! WRONG! This album is amazing! The best album he has created yet! I brought this for my dad for fathers day and he absolutely loves it. Worth the purchase.
on 25 April 2013
A slight step away from "England keep my bones" however instantly listenable. What it doesnt have in more traditional indie/folk is made up for by having some radio friendly songs which will hopefully launch Frank into the public domain. Well worth a purchase
on 28 April 2013
I am a diehard Frank Turner fan. I think the man is a pure poetic genius who sings and plays his heart out.

This album isn't always comfortable to listen to because it's all about a breakup. He makes some harsh observations and digs deep. There are a couple of sing-song songs, but mostly melancholic ballads.

It's more experimental than his previous records. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

All hail Frank, the king of broken hearts.
on 18 June 2013
I've been a Frank fan for a few years now and it's pleasing to see him getting more coverage as a result of his Olympic exploits last year.

On "Tape Deck Heart", the political nature of some of his previous efforts take a back seat as Frank focusses on things much closer to home. Although no stranger to songs containing quite personal lyrics & themes (eg. "Long Live the Queen", "Peggy Sang the Blues"), this is easily his most reflective effort, as a result of the recurring break up theme running through many of the songs.

As a whole, this is another strong album, and fans both new and old should enjoy much of what is on offer. As with previous releases, the energy tends to be focussed into a selection of the songs, with generally well crafted softer material alongside.

The stand out tracks on the standard version are the lead single "Recovery", "The Way I Tend To Be" and "Four Simple Words". If you are going to buy this album, it's well worth the little extra for the deluxe version and the hidden gems within that include "Time Machine" and "Cowboy Chords".

I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I felt that there are a few tracks that get lost and forgotten amongst the rest, something that was not really the case with "Love Ire & Song" and "England Keep My Bones".
on 24 April 2013
At first I wasn't sure about the album, it seemed to be full of similar songs and a lot slower than other albums. but as the album went on I could hear the angry Frank I know and love coming through more. And the more times I listen to the album, the more a start to think that it might actually be my favourite album!
on 13 May 2013
Seen his name and previous albums mentioned in several publications, on the internet etc but never got around to sampling his music. A work colleague of mine even told me how good he was when he saw him live recently. Still didn't check him out. My good fortune then to have heard a couple of tracks from the album on the radio which whetted my appetite sufficiently that I had to hear more. Result - what a fabulous album and now I know what I have been missing. 12 great tracks and a further 6 bonus tracks of high quality songcraft. A great voice, lyrics that are down to earth and clear in meaning and an excellent backing band. Despite the rousing nature of many of the songs you can more or less make out every word - its not often you can say that ( my hearing is not the best)! He also nails it with the quieter tracks, broken piano particularly being a prime example. Suffice to say I add my endorsement to the positive reviews already posted.
on 21 October 2013
I only herd frank turner properly this summer standing in a hot dusty field in reading (yes it was the festival)I had herd a couple of songs at the Olympics I enjoyed them but hadn't really paid much attention so I went to see the set more curious than anything. The very next day I rushed out and bought this album or rather I went on to amazon and bought it here.

I was very pleased that many of the songs I had seen and enjoyed in that field this summer were on the album and had translated so well I have seen a few results on here saying some of Franks other albums are better but as I have no basis for comparison I think it's a really good album which I enjoy listening to as much as I like Opposites by Biffy Clyro(buy that before you read on it's really good I'll wait...got it good I'll now finish the review) there are two standout's on this album for me all the songs are good but recovery and four simple words are my standouts at the moment.

The nice surprise in the title was that If you buy this you get the MP3 album free so you can put it on to your i pod or mobile and start listing to it right away if you want to I'd highley recommend this album to anyone who is considering it don't wait just buy it now.