Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 April 2013
Tape Deck Heart is a more introspective album than much of Frank's previous work. If you're looking for jaunty singalongs or call to arms like Try This At Home, Photosynthesis or even I Still Believe, then there isn't quite as much of that here.

That's not to say these are 18 tracks that will leave you eyeing your shoelaces as if you've been stuck in a room with Radiohead on repeat.

It starts with a thunderous chorus that is Recovery. That gives you the jumping, pumping, pushing, shoving, standing-on-everyone-else's-toes singalong that people go to gigs for. Even with that, though, there's a serious undercurrent, especially with lyrics such as: "Well darling now I'm sinking, I'm as lost as lost can be and I was hoping you could drag me up from down here towards my recovery" - even if it is a line likely to be shouted at the tops of peoples' voices at shows.

Losing Days has some superb, upbeat mandolin playing from Matt Nasir, which leads into the best track on the album. The Way I Tend To Be isn't just beautifully performed with a hauntingly superb chorus, it has genuine heart to it. There's a statuesque symmetry to the poetry of the final verse.
"Because I said I love you so many times that the words kinda die in my mouth //
And I meant it each time with each beautiful woman but somehow it never works out //
You stood apart in my calloused heart and you taught me and here's what I learned //
That love is about the changes you make and not just three small words"

It's from there that the tone for the rest of the songwriting continues.

Plain Sailing Weather builds from its spoken start to six minutes of almost unexpected self-vilification, with Good And Gone hinting at the darker sides of being a rock star.

The mood reaches its nadir with Tell Tale Signs, from which the album gets its title with the final lyric: "You will always be a part of my patched-up patchwork taped-up tape-deck heart".

The album moves onto the absolute delight that is Four Simple Words. A favourite at gigs for a year or so, most fans will be familiar with the slow start and tub-thumping "hi ho hi ho" pay-off that storms into an almighty singalong.

Polaroid Picture is an apt title for a song decrying the loss of things gone by, while The Fisher King Blues is almost an examination of songwriting itself.

Of the later tracks, it is perhaps Tattoos that sticks with me the most, with the lyrics about "straight-edge" and "buddy tattoos with people who aren't my friends" almost a marker put down to signal that this is the album to show how far he has come.

For me, that's the key thing: this isn't the same type of work that England Keep My Bones [Explicit] is, which isn't to say it's worse either. It's just different - but tracks like Recovery and Four Simple Words will keep fans jumping around for years to come.
on 26 April 2013
Frank Turner is quite simply the best British singer songwriter of his generation. Tape Deck Heart builds on his previous releases and lifts him to another level. Frank has described this as a 'break up album' and at times it's so raw as to be almost brutal. Fortunately, this man knows how to create a melody as good as anyone around and these songs will stick in your head and hearts a long time after the music stops. My current favourites (they change daily) are Anymore, Tell Tale Signs and Oh Brother. Yesterday it was Polaroid Picture and Broken Piano. There are very few 'perfect' albums, this is as close as is possible.
on 25 April 2013
Tape Deck Heart is different to Frank's previous albums, but in a good way. The influences of Rich Costley (Producer) are clear, never have Frank & The Sleeping Souls sounded so good. You can tell they spent 30 days paying attention to every minute detail. The production on Broken Piano is incredible.

Four Simple Words is arguably Franks greatest song in terms of live show fun. The album version is no let down, from the quiet opening to crashing drums and guitar solos, it is one of the catchiest songs he has ever written.

What this album has is strength in depth. It is crammed from start to finish with brilliant songs - some fun, some brutally honest - and only really takes a breather for the quieter solo song Anymore. This quality continues in the bonus deluxe tracks (which are definitely worth paying the extra for) Cowboy Chords is stunning, and Time Machine see's Frank disappear off into a more Weezer-esque direction, but he comes out the other side with one of the funnest lyrics ever: "I'm a gonna build myself a time machine, on particle physics and the power of steam"

This lyric perfectly en-captures what is by far the best thing about this album - the meaning and (sometimes) fun Frank has put into the lyrics. Go and listen to The Way I Tend To Be, Four Simple Words and Broken Piano and you will see the brilliance of Tape Deck Heart.
on 29 April 2013
I like Frank Turner. England Keep My Bones is one of my favourite albums of recent years. As well as they great tunes, it had a certain 'Englishness' and a theme celebrating life, love and death. Obviously todays Frank Turner is different to the one of 2011, as he has achieved worldwide success (hence the constant reference to hotel rooms!). He seems to have gone from a Wessex Boy to a London Boy (London features a lot lyrically). He's not the upcoming artist of 'Prufrock', so it's hard to see what album he could have made. Many songs are great and instantly hummable and there are some already live favourites in there. It's probably my third favourite Frank Turner album behind England Keep My Bones and Love, Ire and Song.
Britains best songwriter returns. They don't make 'em like the used to. Unless you're Frank Turner. An album every two years. 1,400 live shows in 7 years and counting. And, unlike many artists, who use their good ideas up in the first five years - and after which, fade into embarrassing irrelevancy and tired xeroxes of greater moments - Frank Turner, the guitar-slinging, jetset, crime-fighting heartbreaker and troubador, offers us his fifth solo album in seven years with "Tape Deck Heart". Once again, a man and his guitar, and his muse, give us a slab of great songs.

Songs that I would not have imagined. Songs that I cannot live without. Songs like "Tell Tale Signs". Turner is growing old, and so are we, and songs like this are the ones that show us that inside everyone is a story, and some of the stories are ones we all share. How it feels to be there, how we have all been there - the names of the actors may have changed, but we are all here, and the song remains the same. I need someone who sings from his heart and means it. Names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty.

And here we are. Melodies that anyone can remember. Music made with integrity, ideals, about real things, about the world we live in, about getting drunk, waking up with regrets, about a million things and everything. And every song has some words so utterly astute in seeing the world that they will inevitably be tattooed on someone's body somewhere. And rightly so.

Anyone who can write a song about the closing of the London Astoria and make it sound like a hymn fighting against the inexorable progress of capitalism wins in my book. "Polaroid Picture" is such a song, and it captures for me, the same sense of futile regret that came when they closed the best venue in London. "Tape Deck Heart" is just like other Frank Turner albums ; a selection of rousing, smart songs with huge choruses and a heart the size of a country designed to make lives better, because sometimes, we have no choice but to write songs and be the change we want to see in the world. "Nobody makes it out alive", he sings. Never a truer word sung.
on 31 December 2013
This is a fantastic album. I was familiar with some of Frank Turners music but had never bought anything of his. The singles of this album played on the radio were great tunes and it's good to have them all together. There are some songs that are slow and deep etc. which only work on the album but overall the album is a good one to have (especially for the car). There is swearing which does make this unplayable with young children in the car.
on 15 November 2015
This album is just awesome. I have all of Frank Turners albums and I have to say this is one of my favourites. Just a brilliant artist all around. Always appreciates fans and encourages input - like the album art work on this one! Great guy, great music. Another Brilliant album.
on 14 May 2013
I'd never bought anything by Frank Turner but downloaded this on a whim when I saw he'd played with Chuck Ragan on The Revival Tour and when I first listened to this I was so disappointed. I thought that the lyrics sounded like the ramblings of a pretentious 6th former and that most of the songs were just dire whining. Then I heard a review on Radio 2 (can't remember who by) that reinforced everything I though about the record and I thought "oh good! it's not just me" and rued not having listened to some of his material on Spotify.

But then I found myself listening to it again. And again. And again. And...well you get the picture.

I don't quite understand why, but I now really like this album and would just say that you need to listen to it 4 or 5 times and it just kind of gets under your skin.

It's now the only thing I'm listening to and I'd highly recommend it.
on 1 May 2013
First time I have heard Frank Turner. I really enjoy this type of music and it has definitely made me think about getting more of his music. The title warns of explicit lyrics so I was expecting it, however I think they distract from the music. It just sounds wrong and that's my only criticism.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 April 2013
Downloading this album corresponded with the sun coming out for the first time in ages and both helped to cheer me up. I first came across Frank supporting Greenday in London despite him coming from up the road in Winchester and he did a great set in a wide open Wembley Stadium, engaging the crowd and mixing up slower sing-alongs with more up-tempo numbers. This album reflects that with thoughtful lyrics, catchy melodies and rousing choruses. The thing I like about Frank is there is always a sense of optimism and humour running through his albums so his darker songs are balanced but also have more impact. Note there is both a 12 track and 18 track version of the album so check you are ordering the correct one. I am missing the last 6 and will have to download them individually when I've finished playing through the ones I have.