on 9 November 2013
I have a fit and active 70 year old mum who was looking for a digital camera for herself, I bought it for her birthday, she loves it. She managed to get it up and running without looking at the manual. she says its it a nice tidy sized camera with a good visible screen, the controls are easy to navigate, it takes great, clear pictures which she has managed to upload to her computer and send to her brother in Australia! Its a clear winner for her , so I'm happy, Bargain too!!!
11 Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 November 2015
Initially I bought this as a cheap point and click camera more as a backup to my bridge camera which can be a bit bulky to carry around.

In easy auto mode the camera takes fairly decent shots, sometimes they're good, sometimes not so good. That said, I wouldn't really recommend using any camera in auto mode. This camera comes into its own once you start manually using the scene selector to match your needs rather than letting the camera make this choice for you. I noticed a huge improvement in the quality of shots that I took once I started doing this. Images are crisp, colours vibrant and it definitely packs a punch for the money.

At times it can be a little slow on the focus but it doesn't create too many problems as long as you're aware and anticipate this with your shots.

It feels nice and solid in the hand, I like the size of this camera a lot. It's small enough to fit comfortably in your hands without being too fiddly.

One area that is a bit of a disappointment is the battery. It's powered by 2 AA batteries that give the camera a little bulk but it fits nicely in the hand. Unfortunately under heavy use it seems to drain pretty quickly and this isn't helped by the fact that the battery monitor seems oblivious. Mine regularly displays as full battery even though they're totally flat. After searching the web it seems to be a fairly common issue too.

All in all a good camera for the money that is capable of some fantastic shots if you invest the time in getting to grips with the settings. The battery is a problem though, and if I were looking to buy right now, I'd recommend a Nikon Coolpix just maybe a newer version than this.
on 10 May 2014
There are lots of this kind of camera on the market - I carefully chose this one because it looked the best of the cheapest, and because Nikon (and Canon) make the best top-end professional digital cameras, and I thought that some of this quality might have rubbed off on their budget cameras. I think it has.

Although my first impression was that the camera was a little plastic-looking, once I got it going I was amazed at how much camera you get for such a modest price. The lens is good, and all the buttons and knobs where you would expect them and intuitive to use - I hardly had to read the instruction-booklet. I bought a 8GB Sandisc memory card (rather annoying that these are not included with the camera) with which it can store around 1,000 16 megapixel photos, and an Expro black case to put it in - a satisfactory case, but again annoying that the camera doesn't automatically come with one. I like the fact that it takes two AA batteries because they are universally available, and a set lasted me at least the 200 photos advertised (including plenty using the flash).

The L27 takes great photos - I have it on the easy setting whereby the camera does all the work for you - I just point and shoot, but there are various modes and settings that you can play with if that is your thing. Downloading photos to my PC took a few minutes to master, but is now very easy. I use it at work (I am a gardener) to take before-and-after photos of shrubs, plus photos of any wildlife that trots past, and I am looking forward to taking it on a walking-holiday in June where small size and light weight are important. And at this price the world won't end if I lose it in a river. It would be a great first-camera for a child or an elderly person who hasn't used a digital camera before.
on 30 May 2014
Replacing a NIKON L22 (bought from AMAZON in 2010), this updated version (L27) continues to provide an extraordinary combination of image clarity (increased by 4 million pixels from the L22 that retains its sharpness, depth of colour/tone when an image is even enlarged to an A2 photo-print for framing) and an intuitive interface (clear buttons and graphics) that ensures that even a digital camera first-timer will not find it taxing to use.

Yes, it feels light-weight without the AA batteries inserted but there lies its benefit; its adept and adaptable within a myriad of photographic opportunities.

The "video recorder" is a so easy to use; flicking the top-mounted toggle to zoon-in-and-out is neat. The software to transfer content to a PC/laptop/tablet is, again, easy.

I would suggest that a SD Card is purchased (try a 16GB or 32GB storage capacity) to aid the volume of images/video that you may wish to capture as the 1MP is quickly filled. Overall, the NIKON brand is, I have found, reliable, and this new COOLPIX version (L27) continues to perform without problems.
on 23 July 2015
Excellent product, bought for husband's birthday and he is delighted with it. Contacted seller to ask if he could send it earlier as we were going on holiday and was very friendly and camera arrived ahead of going away for a few days. My husband is professional photographer but wanted something small he could keep in the car to scope things he came by and for personal holiday shots rather than lugging around all his photographic equipment, so when it comes to image clarity he is hard to please - but he was delighted with this and could not get over how clear images were.
on 6 November 2013
A good camera that we purchased to take photographs. Not too technical but does the job well. I would recommend it.
on 30 November 2013
I bought one of these a year or so ago, & was very happy with it. Unfortunately it got broken, so I ordered a new one. Since last time it's went from 10 mega pixel to 16, & the zoom dial has had a bit added to make it easier & more accurate to use, also it now includes a single click record button for video (a much needed inclusion).
Short story - a good compact camera for home shots etc. Easy to use (though it now comes with a thick manual booklet for those that want to use all it's many features). Great camera, even my 5 year old son can use it easily & review his photo's.
on 21 September 2013
I bought two of these a year ago, one for a grand daughter and one for a friend in the Zambian bush. I revisited my Zambian friend earlier in the year and we compared some of our photos using the monitor screens on the cameras. My own camera was a five year old Olympus which has served me well. I immediately noticed how bright the Coolpix screen was compared to my old Olympus.
So as soon as I returned home I bought one and am ver y well satisfied.
One small warning which is northing to do with the make of camera. At 16 megapixels the camera produces very large files which donot always transmit or receive on my email addresses. When I alter the menu to produce 8 megapixel photos there are no problems.
on 15 April 2014
This appears to be an OK camera when the batteries are brand new and strong. When they are not, the Camera shuts down after a picture has been taken with the message “Batteries exhausted” despite the battery indicator on screen showing OK (and the measured battery voltage also OK).

I suspect the camera demands a lot from the battery during the taking of photos (charging the flash?), lowering the voltage which makes the camera think they are flat.

This let us down on holiday with new batteries installed.

Only found this out after 4 months and I’m not sure it has a 12 month warranty.

AVOID
on 9 July 2015
I never had much money to get a really decent camera, but then saw this Nikon Coolpix L27 and I managed to purchase this as a freebee with some vouchers. I read the reviews and the majority were 5 stars which swayed me. When I opened up the packaging it was tiny and wasn’t much larger than my mobile phone! I’m glad I got a camera case for it in case I lost it! Unlike many other digital cameras that have a specialised battery these took standard AA batteries that were supplied.
Let it be noted that they should be rechargeable as this camera drinks power like a sponge and if the batteries are left in for too long they will be run flat. That annoyed me as I had put some lithium batteries in that were run dry. I now take them out now after use to avoid this, but it prompts you to set the time and date every time the batteries are reinstalled. I now bypass this. To buy a charger and four rechargeable batteries cost nearly as much as the camera itself! This is not mentioned in the reviews.
There are too many unnecessary settings and there are too many obstacles in adjusting them manually. This camera is okay for point and click photos and the images come out well, but I adjust many of them with photoshop on my PC. It’s definitely not worth the 50 quid it’s priced at.