Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.54

on 7 June 2013
I found this book helpful but it was a little light on content. In fairness James does provide some interesting content and shares additional books for further reading, but would have liked more in depth cases on the application of his technique. What it did do was help me reflect further and adjust my style to be more productive. On the up side then it got me to work better quicker, which has to be a good thing! Thanks James.
on 16 April 2014
10 out of 10 for brevity - instead of rambling on at inordinate length to stretch a simple idea into a worthy "tome," Mr Lofquist has a simple idea told simply and to the point. I'm not saying it will turn the reader into a prolific author overnight - it seems to have had little effect on my laggardly progress - but it's an "upside-down" way of writing that at least promises a way out of those awkward moments when you know what should be happening next, but can't seem to find the golden prose to suit the occasion..! A useful tool in the writer's toolbox.
on 7 April 2013
I was intrigued by the title with its play on Show don't Tell, a well followed rule in the writing world. As a blogger I devour books that may assist me in my endeavours. I thought the book had an excellent message and practical approach to getting the best out of my writing. If I have one criticism it would be the message was pretty much laboured and once I got the gist there wasn't much else the book could offer me. I have rated this with four stars because the message in itself was brilliant. I would recommend this to any new writer or any shelved writer whom requires another tool to get motivated to write again.
on 20 October 2013
This book needs to be read by all writers, whether published or unpublished. Tell don't show really works! I have always struggled with the first draft, constantly revising and editing as I write, it takes me ages to get my story's bare bones down and finish the first draft. James' technique allows you to do just that, easily and quickly, and then after, you can put the meat on your story. Also if you want to make major changes whilst writing the first draft it takes seconds as opposed to cutting 1000's of words. Thanks James This saves months of work. I will always be writing first drafts this way.
on 26 September 2015
I picked this book because of the title. Tell, Don’t Show? But if the very well known approach to writing is “Show, Don’t Tell”, what is then this book all about?

First, you are paying to discover Mr. Lofquist’s technique, nothing else. The book is extremely short (38 pages) and this is only because we get to see a few examples. Otherwise, the content could be pretty much summed up in one paragraph.

So, why am I giving it three stars? I am giving it a positive rating because I think the approach is, in fact, effective and helpful. I have realized I have been doing this myself for a while, but only on a per chapter basis. I have to say that such simple technique has opened my eyes and gave me the validation and encouragement I needed: “Yes, it’s perfectly acceptable to let your creativity flow!” At least, for a while… During a certain stage! (I am trying to avoid spoilers here)

For those who feel stuck and unable to finish that first novel draft, I highly recommend this quick read! Hopefully, it will open your eyes, and encourage you to use your creativity, and go wild! And I mean, proper wild!

Does this mean that you should only tell and never show? No, this is not what James Lofquist wants to say. And this is all I can say, in order to not include spoilers in this review.
on 23 January 2014
I have been waiting to come across a work such as this. The "Show don't Tell" problem is one that many writers struggle with. This will prove to be of immense value to myself and other writers.
on 3 April 2014
This book has changed my approach completely. I was struggling with my writing and I felt as though I was being held back by invisible ties that this technique has cut away, the words are now flowing, the pressure is off and I am enjoying new, unrestricted creativity.

I particularly like the massaging non critical elements part, as even when I'm not feeling so productive, I think of that, and skip through my draft adding here and there and then before I know it, I'm back in full flow.

I have read much larger books on writing and found a few tips, but they all try and teach you how to write dramatic, captivating descriptions and dialogue etc, they try to take what is a pure, creative art form and make it technical and complicated. I personally believe that such things can not be taught, a writer either has the flare, or they do not. This book encourages the creativity in aspiring writers, does not try to instil a 'how too' guide for correct, engaging content and is all the better for it. It allows the writer to explore the imagination and find his or her own style without worrying about technicalities and that simply makes progress easy, get it all out, as much as you want, then cut it away, refine 'massage' it into being as good as it can be.

Thank you so much James!
on 26 August 2014
Although I had a system in place for whenever the prose muse went on strike, this author's method is simpler yet more comprehensive. I've already put it into practice when composing my weekly newsletters. I'm grateful to Mr Lofquist for summing up his method with the minimum of waffle, even though it may have cost him a few full downloads, because as other reviewers have noted, the gist of this method can be obtained from the free sample provided. However, I'm congratulating myself on having the foresight to download the entire story, as I felt the examples and extrapolation that followed, together with the author's examples of 'reverse engineering' are well worth the price. Excellent value, and in my opinion, the author pays his readers a compliment (and saves us all valuable time) by simply laying out the bare bones of this useful method. Thank you Mr Lofquist!
on 30 November 2013
The key points made in this book made sense to me. I have certainly learned to be flexible in listening to and taking advice. The author takes a refreshing approach to the issue often emphasized by the majority of the need to illustrate by giving concrete examples which show characteristics of individuals or their surroundings.
on 31 December 2013
This book did not really tell me anything new. I've used this technique for most of my life.
What it did do was vindicate the way I have been working and thus spur me on. So it has been worth every penny.