on 8 August 2017
Decided to download this after reading two of his other books (Step it up and Cycles, Tents and Two Young Gents). It is a lot shorter than the other two books (he's only going round Scotland at the end of the day) but I enjoyed reading it and it gave me an insight into campervan travels. It's not an expensive book so it was worth the money.
on 1 July 2017
Im Scottish and by page 12 hate this book. I thought it would be a fun read naming good places to go but no its Moan, Moan Moan!! Some people may think this is light hearted but not for me. Slating Scotland and finally the money when in England ours is not accepted was the last straw, a waste of money and for a Scottish person in the bin it goes bet u thought I would try and get money for it as ur so stereotypical. Ps i love 'dirty' Glasgow!!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2016
really enjoyed this book just about to embark on a tour of Scotland myself so its given me some ideas
on 12 January 2017
Great read, many thanks.
on 18 May 2014
As a very experienced walker in those parts of Scotland mentioned in this book I felt that the account related this book is hardly more than an elementary tale of a weeks holiday of no interest to most readers . The content does NOT live up to the title. The gratuitous, unnecesary bad laguage does not help either.
on 23 August 2016
This was a very depressing book. Steve Roach came over as selfish and had little or no regard for his poor girlfriend who seemed to spend almost all her time dog sitting in the rain in the V.W while he visited and critisized places and people He did let her out once I think then was not happy because she perused the area and local shops. Pehaps if he hadn't been so negative the book would be more inspiring. We are touring Scotland in a V.W. at the end of September and I am sure we will find it beautiful and inspiring as we have in the past. Open your eyes Steve and appreciate the natural beauty for itself not what you want it to be.
on 24 July 2013
I love travel books and am happy to read about the small details that go into a trip. This book certainly achieved that. However, I found myself, as a scot and extremely familiar with all of the places Steve and his girlfriend visited, increasingly irritated at times. For example, he describes the mountains around Dalwhinnie as a poor man's Switzerland. He goes on and in about how miserable etc they are. Then incongruously,matter slating off Scotland says " but I love it." Utter nonsense. The mountains he is slagging off are The Cairngorms! Nothing like Switzerland for heaven's sake. You cannot judge a country and its landscapes from behind a steering wheel! As well as this he dismisses the whole of the Northeast coast from Thurso to Wick and beyond as having absolutely nothing to recommend it! What about Dornoch to name but one fabulous town? He accuses the Scots of being skinflints for painting their cottages white on Skye-if he knew how many English people live on Skye he may change his ideas! He completely misses the wonderful Dunvegan Castle. He talks about how miserable some of the scenery is but fails to go further than Inverness like many tourists. Going up and beyond Ullapool to the North Western coast would have him gasping as the scenery is staggeringly beautiful and would have produced a much more interesting book. When he is in Fife he refers to Kingham but I think he meant Kinghorn. All in all a disappointing book where he seemed to visit the mundane and uninteresting parts of Scotland and managed to offend Scottish people too. What did he mean by the comment about a pineapple still being considered a luxury in Scotland? Does he think we are all uneducated un enlightened neds here? Cheek! And why could the dog not stay in the van for a while on her own? I have a dog and am an animal lover but this was just ridiculous. Steve Roach did nothing to make me want to go on a camper van holiday as he holidayed in Scotland in winter then complained about the weather-really? This is Great Britain Steve! Then proceeded to visit one or two well known tourist attractions that many have seen and described better combined with a depressing number of non-tourist places. I could write a book where I visit a large housing estate on the outskirts of Leeds and my description would still be more entertaining. Disappointing.
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 September 2016
Do not waste your money,seems anyone can just Wright utter rubbish and call them selves an author
Go for around the coast by Jon Gunter excellent read well thought out and very formative
on 15 May 2014
I really don't understand why this guy bothered to hire a campervan in the first place, he doesn't appear to enjoy anything about it. All he seems to want to do is get to each place on his " tick list" as quickly as possible so that he can write about it for his already planned book. As a keen campervanner myself, regularly touring the West coast of Scotland, I barely recognised some of the places he described. Scotland is stunning, campervanning is fun. This book is neither.
on 22 December 2015
Not a great book, author just moans the whole time, terrible photography and generally just a complete let down.