Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 11 March 2013
Well, what a ride it has been. Seven stars, five series, countless tears and endless embarrassing snorts of laughter. Being Human, I will miss you.
Series 5, where to start? It's been brilliant. The design and soundtrack are as always flawlessly selected and utilised, the premise and plot carry along nicely and never feel awkward. The guest stars are predictably wonderful - the superbly twitchy Mr Rook played by Steven Robertson makes a welcome return, and Colin Hoult earns his well deserved acting stripes as socially awkward Ian Cram, like the runner. Then, of course, there's the inimitable Phil Davis as - well - a role he was absolutely destined to play. And there are many more wonderful guests, bit parts, even creator cameos who all provide excellent support to the impossibly talented trio at the heart of the story. (There are some welcome returns too...)
Hal (Damien Molony), Alex (Kate Braken) and Tom (Michael Socha) are truly a dream team, I warmed to them almost immediately and their chemistry as a trio is second to none. It's all a matter of opinion, but I actually prefer them to the original cast - just a tad. And this series the actors really prove how talented they are. And they're very talented.
As for the series overall, the direction, writing and cinematography have all been kicked up a gear this year. And to make up for BBC3 cutting the series length by two episodes we were gifted a wealth of extra material online, most of which I expect will be on the DVD. We have also been promised an exclusive to DVD extra scene that will settle (probably, a bit) the wonderfully disconcerting ending, which I shan't spoil.
Probably due to the reduction in length, and the fact that the show was not recommissioned, the series occasionally feels a little rushed (especially the last episode, which is an odd waltz of action and anti-climax) but all the character development felt natural and the plot was always gripping, so I wouldn't even think about rating it fewer than five stars. In terms of all time, it's currently sharing second place with series one (for me, anyway).
This series feels like it has so much to prove, to show the BBC it was wrong to cancel it (it was always too good for BBC3 anyway); and you know what? It does. I feel fully justified in my five star review; rarely has a series kept me this hooked, this excited, this emotionally engaged. I encourage anyone reading this review to buy this DVD.
Five amazing years culminating in a truly spectacular, and utterly worthy final series. Bravo.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Fifth and final season of Being Human, the BBC show about a ghost, vampire and werewolf living together and trying to lead normal lives.

This is not an ideal jumping on point, so new viewers should start with season one.

And as reqular viewers will know, the ghost, vampire and werewolf are completely different ones to those at the start of the show.

There are just six episodes in this season. All run for one hour [approx]. They are presented here spread across three discs.

Needing to pay the bills, Hal and Tom take jobs at a hotel. Alex is living with them and still coming to terms with her new existence.

But beyond the need to get by, threats await. The leader of the men in grey, seen at the end of last season, will do anything to keep his existence as it is. A newly sired vampire causes problems. And the foul mouthed old man in the hotel is the biggest danger any of them have ever faced...

Die hards may not be happy, but the change in line up has really worked. The three main characters are different to those we had before, but they do have an equally good dynamic. And remain incredibly sympathetic as a result of all they go through.

There are monster of the week storylines again. Some very strong new characters. But the season story builds very nicely, leading to a superb finale which confronts the central theme of the show once again. Resulting in a decent ending. Which does bring things to a close. Without necessaily closing the door on it.

A really great final season of an excellent show.

The dvd has the following language and subtitle options:

Languages: English.

Subtitles: English.

Extras are as follows:

Alex's unfinished business. Spread across the three discs, these are five short unaired scenes showing Alex attempting to find what's keeping her from moving on. The ones on disc two in particular are incredibly funny. And fantasy novel readers pay close attention to the list she has in the fifth...

Cast and crew interviews: Five five minute long chats with the three main cast members, plus the show's creator and the producer. A bit short, but all very good. The one with the show's creator in particular is worth watching for a part where he explains a few things about the ending. And another of the extras.

The third disc has one extra scene from episode five.

Plus an extra scene that acts as an alternate ending of sorts. As mentioned, the interview with Toby Whithouse does explain a few things about it.

There's also twelve minutes of deleted scenes. These can only be watched all in a row. But they're all really good and worth a look.
on 14 March 2013
Having been with "Being Human" since the first episode aired on BBC 3 I was really looking forward to this final series. The previous 4, all of which I have on dvd, have all been excellent and I was hoping that series 5 would keep the standard up. It did - brilliantly and was, to my mind, even better than series 4. Being Human has always had that wonderful mixture of seriously scary, horrifying moments combined with laugh out loud humour and this series was no exception. A ghost, a werewolf and a vampire all fighting the Devil - come on what more could you want. I have to confess that the final moments of the final episode did bring a tear to the eye as I, for one, am going to miss this series so much and its a shame that the BBC could not find the cash to commission series 6. So in conclusion - if you like horror with a large sprinkling of humour, great and loveable characters and excellent gripping stories that keep you guessing right to the end, get this!
on 14 April 2013
For anyone unsure of buying this season: do it! It's an excellent ending to an amazing show. Being Human as such a breath of fresh air on UK TV when it first aired. In my opinion, the UK has always been a bit rubbish when it comes to decent horror television; but Being Human got everything right.
Season 5 continues this trend with a new line-up of principal actors who all manage to being true to their own individuality as well as paying homage to their predecessors. I loved the original cast; but never found myself pining for them during the six episodes of this series.
As other have said, this is the last ever series and that's very sad; but, at the same time, they did an amazing job of finishing the story in a very satisfactory manner. There was a moment during the final episode where I thought the ending was going to be a disappointment; but then they did something completely unexpected which totally elevated the series.
Highly recommended to anyone who has seen the previous four series.

Regarding the BLU-RAY - Picture is excellent; but, despite listing a DTS-HD Master track there is only a Dolby Digital 5.1; which is very good; but not what I wanted. The bonus features are good but not great. The best being a deleted scene/alternate ending - which is what I think would have been on the end had the series been commissioned for a sixth series.

Now to a couple of side notes: If you like Twilight then this is not the show for you! Twilight is great (the incredibly annoying trend of having to 'hate' twilight because it's so not cool is, itself, so not cool) but it belongs in a category of its own within the Vampire/Werewolf cannon of material. Stephenie Meyer did a very good job of creating her personal version of vampires and I applaud her for it - after all, they're not real so they don't always have to be bloodthirsty monsters dripping blood from inch-long fangs. But, if the scary type is what you like then BH IS for you.

Finally...don't despair if you crave more Being Human... I've watched the first two seasons of the US version and I really enjoyed them. The first Season takes a while to find it's feet because it retreads the UK storyline; but in Season 2 they move into new stories unique to their version of the show and it starts to get really good. The actors are great and there's 13 episodes per season. It's definitely worth checking out. Is it as good as the UK version? No. But, in the absence of a UK Being Human I will happily continue to watch the US version.

EDIT: Only Disc 1 has DD5.1 sound. The other two discs ARE DTS. Weird.
on 5 December 2015
Final series in the BBC hit show. If you havnt seen the previous series then I'd recommend you watch them first as you'd miss out in vital information refrenced in this series. But absolutely brilliant series, makes you laugh,cry and jump out your seat!

P.S The ending is amazing!!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 February 2015
With the departure of the original cast members, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the final season would be a suckfest. But it's not! It might be a wee bit more of an American-style horror-drama than the first two seasons, with its weird plot about vampires vs. werewolves to feed the devil to end the world, but it's still wickedly well-written, and the finale's pay-off is more than worth any little bumps in the road to get there.
on 20 December 2013
This season of being human was great like all the others. A new female lead for this season and what a good job she did. If you liked the other seasons then I am sure this is a must have for your collection
on 7 March 2013
i have been watching Being Human since the adverts for the show started on BBC Three back at series one and it has to be the only tv series i can say that has taken me on an emotional roller coaster ride. It's had me in laughter and complete crying breakdowns over death of characters that i have grown to love so much. With this being the last series it's time to say good bye to my Sunday night friends for one last time. But they will be coming off my DVD shelf every Sunday for a rematch.

If you have never seen Being Human i would fully recommend it to anyone. I have got many of my friends into it. It is nothing like Twilight but instead the vampires, werewolves and ghosts are all portrayed how everyone knows them not as shiny in the sunlight vampires. All the characters are genuine and you are guaranteed to fall in love with every single one of them....well maybe not the bad guys.

I've preordered my copy with one episode left to go of series five and i'm saying now (being the sad little Being Human geek that i am) this series finally will end in blood guts and with a big bang!
on 17 October 2015
I love this series but I mourned the passing of the original stars. It took me a while to warm to this new trio. The story was just a bit sideways to the original premise I thought but it still held my interest and I liked it.
on 12 March 2013
In all honesty, I wasn't going to bother with s5. I mainly stuck with the 4th series to see how Annie's story ended, but it turned out that it was genuinely good and I really grew to like Tom and Hal (particularly Tom).
Last series ended with Annie and Eve going through their door and reuniting with Mitchell, George and Nina. In this series we have Alex (introduced last series) in a main role, filling the Type 1 requirement of Being Human's triad.
Having been a huge Annie fan since the beginning, I wasn't sure how I felt about a new ghost, but I quickly grew to like Alex a lot. She's a tough, funny and charming character who's hard not to like.
The series is mainly set in a hotel, at which Tom and Hal get new jobs, having been fired from the cafe they worked at in the previous series. In this hotel is where they meet Captain Hatch, a foul mouthed, nasty old wheel-chair bound man who is somehow connected to a series of violent suicides in the hotel. (I'll avoid spoilers). The arch for this series is very promising and combines gritty darkness and tongue in cheek homour in a way that we do expect from the show. There isn't really a cast member that doesn't do a good job.

Now for the very last episode. I couldn't help but be underwhelmed, because if I used one word to describe the finale, it would be "rushed". Series 5 basically spends most of it's time building up the biggest bad guy we've ever had in the series and by the time that's done, we only have one episode for the confrontation/battle. This, added to the fact that they also need to wrap up the story, makes for an incredibly rushed finale and it's hard not to feel a little let down considering the build up and who the bad guy is! The way it ends for Alex, Tom and Hal is perfect though and was a good way to finish off the show.

SPOILERS- Returning characters for the finale include Leo and Allison from the fourth series. If you were hoping Annie, George, Mitchell or Nina might make an appearance, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed... it would have been nice, and I refuse to believe that they couldn't have gotten at least one of them to make an appearance, but I guess considering how rushed everything already felt, it may have been for the best.

All in all, this was a suitable ending to Being Human. It's changed a hell of a lot and it's kept standing and being a quality show in spite of that, something that I will always applaud it for. We have to remember that even though this was a finale, the writers were ending the show with characters that we hadn't really known all that long. Considering this, both the writers and the cast did an excellent job. It's just a shame that the BBC only wanted 6 episodes, as opposed to 8, for such a huge story-arch.