VINE VOICEon 4 March 2013
Colour: White|Chrome|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had my doubts about the quality of the drinks this little machine would deliver. After all, it's a tiny, streamlined unit, taking up about as much worktop room as an average food mixer, and doesn't include any of the usual home-barista paraphernalia.

Having tested it for a few days, though, I'm a convert. Easy to unpack, clean and set up, the machine takes T-discs (individual drink-making pods) which slot into the top. They instruct the machine how to brew via a barcode printed on the outside, and deliver exactly the right amount of product to brew the drink. All you have to do is stick a cup under the nozzle, press a button and wait a few seconds. Voila - a hot drink delivered exactly to spec. You then extract the used T-disc and throw away - no mess, no soggy filter papers, no coffee grounds or tea leaves to dispose of. It's as easy as making a cup of instant, and quicker than dangling a tea bag in a mug.

My machine came with a £20 online voucher to buy T-discs, and once my selection had arrived I tested a wide range. Appropriate cup sizes vary, from the tiny, concentrated servings of espresso to the full mug required for an Americano. There are plenty of blends available for the black coffee afficionado - my favourite was Kenco Colombian - or you can brew yourself a very decent frothy Cappuccino or Latte Macchiato by combining a milk T-disc with a coffee one in a 2-part process which only takes slightly longer. If you're a tea drinker or a lover of hot chocolate the available choices are more limited but still very palatable, and you can go from brewing, say a hot chocolate to a Russian black tea immediately with no cross-contamination whatsoever. If you like your drinks longer or weaker, there's the option to add more hot water at the end of the process. Flavour was very good across the board, and if (as I did) you choose to site the machine in your study, it perfumes the air with the appealing aroma of freshly-brewed coffee. Between brews the machine puts itself into automatic standby, so there's no excessive consumption of electricity and no need to keep the water in the reservoir constantly steaming away.

There are a couple of minor flaws. A couple of the blends I tried emerged needing a quick boost in the microwave to bring them up to my preferred temperature. This might not be a problem for everyone, though, as I enjoy my drinks scalding hot. This probably isn't the cheapest way to make coffee either, but it's by no means exorbitant and makes up for its price in terms of taste, convenience and ease of use. Ideal for a family or a small office, I'd thoroughly recommend this little machine.
Colour: White|Chrome|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The new Tassimo Joy is a very well designed and rather 'cool' machine which is incredibly easy to use and produces a range of drinks (unsurprisingly, predominantly coffees) at little more than a flick of a switch. First set up is straightforward: within 5 minutes you can have carried out the pretty-well automated initial clean and be sipping your drink of choice.

Clean up is minimal: emptying any accumulated spills from the cup shelf and rinsing out the plastic water tank (which holds a generous 1.4l so you won't be constantly having to refill) is about it, and really, unless you've been pretty careless and failed to choose a sensible cup size, there SHOULD be no spills. Insertion and removal of the drink 'pod' is a doddle and takes seconds. So ideal for those who are in a rush and like their drink immediately and with no effort at all: perfect for bleary-eyed early mornings and exhausted homecomings. Compared to a number of machines of this type that I have tried, the temperature of the drinks is higher than most - unless you like to have your coffee scalding hot, you won't be rushing to the microwave to give the cup a temperature boost, as some friends of mine have to do with their Nespresso. The Tassimo process certainly produces an optimal version of the specific drink brew you have chosen.

For me, however, there are some negatives, not so much about this machine as compared to others, but to do with the nature of the beast;
1. You are tied to a delivery system which is not cheap when compared to more traditional ways of making coffee - on average about £4.00 for 16 drinks which do not have a creamer component, 8 drinks for £4.00 if you buy drinks with a creamer. Not going to break the bank, but a consideration.
2. You are tied to a pretty limited choice of beverages from a narrow range of providers. My everyday favourite, Lavazza Crema di Gusto will never be Tassimoed. The system is only interested in market leading product, not interesting or top quality blends
3. I'm not sure that the Tassimo process is significantly better as far as taste is concerned than my hitherto method of choice of coffee making - Aeropress Coffee Maker + Extra 350 Micro Filters - Aerobie which is quick, (2-3 minutes, less if the water is ready) relatively clean and relatively inexpensive (£25.00 for the maker and filters) in initial outlay. Added to which, the cost is simply that of the basic ingredients. I am NOT a coffee connoisseur, but I think the Aeropress offers a more personally controllable brew.) However, I think a coffee produced in a Tassimo is better than the same blend produced by many methods, such as filter or cafetierre. But whilst it IS quick, and cleanup is pretty insignificant, at least in those terms it cannot quite compete with the Tassimo.

These machines do the job very well and quickly, IF they make the discs in your drink of choice (see Amazon or the Tassimo site for the full range): if speed and convenience are more important to you than cost, these are brilliant buys. 5*s by those criteria. (NB teas and chocolate options are awful, IMHO.)

However, the choice of drinks is limited and variable: I like to buy espressos and found a great option in Tassimo pods (Maestro Lorenzo) but that has been withdrawn due to 'lack of demand', though they clearly like it in Spain and Portugal where it is still available, apparently. The company seems to be interested only in selling coffees which have well known high street names and which shift by the container load. I DON'T like the options that remain (and I'm not a connoisseur!)

An even more important objection to the machine for me is the recycling issue. Initially Tassimo showed no interest in the piles of pods going into landfill. Then a company called Terracycle got on board and had a great scheme whereby used pods could be posted in 3+kg sacks for free where they would be recycled. That scheme has now closed though I still have the option to take the pods to one of the very few collection points - my nearest is over 40 miles away!!

So, as of December 2014 I have given up on my Tassimo and bought a Delonghi Dedica pump espresso maker. My coffee is now a third of the price of the Tassimo versions, a staggering sixth of the price of the versions with creamer, provides me with the range of choice that didn't suit the Tassimo corporate straitjacket, and doesn't produce difficult to dispose of and environmentally unfriendly plastic and foil wrapping. It takes (only) a little longer to make (perhaps 2 minutes max from switch on to sipping coffee with frothed, warmed milk and clean up takes 1 minute.

I'm am REALLY glad not to be using the machine any more.
22 Comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2014
Great machine with stylish looks. Easy to use and the drinks are quick to make. What makes the Tassimo the best for us is the range of available drinks far better than the competition who only do coffee. The ability to make teas made it the best choice for us. Not tried all the drinks yet but very impressed.
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2013
Colour: Black|Chrome|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This elegant machine has clever gizmos inside it, and it produces all the kind of brews one would find in a good coffee shop. In case you don't know, it works with special pods of coffee, tea or chocolate, not with loose ground coffee. Bar codes on the pods tell the machine how much hot water to push through, eg small amount for an expresso, more for a mug of coffee or tea. The water "tank" is filled, and just one cup at a time heated instantaneously as its pumped through the machine, not like a filter machine, which pumps ALL the water through at once. This means you can leave it standing by, and just pop in a pod for a drink whenever you feel like it.

I would have given it 5 stars but for the fact that the pods are quite expensive - typically around £4.50 per pack of 16 (note that some packs contain only 8 cups, eg the Cadbury's chocolate, which is a bit insipid, by the way!), and if you wanted to make coffee for a dinner party, you'd be standing over the machine making maybe 6 or more cups individually, then possibly second cups!

One good thing is that when you sign up to the "mytassimo" website, you get a £20 voucher to spend, and if you spend a total of £35 minimum, (an extra £15 on top of the voucher)you get free delivery. This enables you to choose from a selection of coffees, 1 tea (Twinings English Breakfast - weak and tasteless, don't bother!), and 3 chocolates. Total of 35+ different kinds, different size cups, and different intensities. It means you can decide which ones you like best, and will stick with, without spending too much money.

All in all, if you are a coffee lover this is a good machine. If you aren't particularly fussy, then don't bother!
on 29 April 2014
I spent a lot of time reading reviews before settling on this particular coffee machine. I picked it because I liked the square base, where most of the range have the circular one. I looked at the circular base in tesco and it seemed a bit more flimsy, so I remain happy with how this model looks and feels to use.

The tassimo has a wide range of different drinks to choose from. Hot chocolates, chai tea, latte, espresso, even tea...nt being a big coffee drinker (I'm more into my tea), this appealed to me as a family unit. My girls both love the daily tassimo treats, especially the milka hot chocolate.

I would advise reading reviews before purchasin some of the discs though. Some of them, creme brulee being my most recent trial, give very little. Literally 2 sips of the drink and it was gone. Gorgeous drink but for the cost I would expect more.

The unit is easy to use - it's a one button operation. There are loads of helpful videos on youtube giving hits and tips for getting the most out of your purchase and the lovely £20 voucher to use on t discs included with the unit was a brilliant way to try lots of variety.

All in all I'm thrilled with this. It looks elegant and was a great price to boot.
on 3 December 2013
I have given my Bosch Tassimo T4 to a friend and upgraded to a Bosch Tassimo Joy. The right name for the machine it is a joy to use. Quieter and quicker to use and the same delicious coffee. It also looks great on my work top. Thoroughly recommended.

I'm am REALLY glad not to be using the machine any more.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Colour: Black|Chrome|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This new Tassimo Joy drinks machine is really, really good. An excellent addition to any home. I have never used anything like this before and was very pleased with it.

The Tassimo Joy comes with a well written Instruction Manual, written in 10 languages to include English. Inside there are clearly written step by step instructions for use, along with very easy to follow, comprehensive diagrams.

In addition to the Instruction Manual, there is a 2 sided diagramatical reminder card, which shows getting the Tassimo ready for use and then how to make your beverage.

There is also another booklet which invites you to join the Tassimo Club, with which there are associated benefits.

I have uploaded some pics which I have taken of the Tassimo, to try and show you all the different views. Here too are some measurements which you may find helpful when considering where to position this unit.
Front view base width L to R = 9"
Height (top closed) = 11½"
Height (top open to insert beverage T disc) = 15"
Depth front to back = 13"

This unit is very sturdy and sits firm on the kitchen counter. I do not believe it would get knocked over easily.

I have only tried basic coffee and the drink was made very quickly. I felt that it was not quite as hot as if I had made a cup of instant coffee with a kettle, but it was still very good.

Unfortunatly Bosch do not include any taster drinks (T Discs) with the machine, which I think is bad marketing. I purchased a box of Tassimo T Discs from Sainsbury of Kenco Columbian Coffee. The box of 18 cost £3.89 I am not sure what other Supermarkets sell them at or the prices, but there is the full variety available online. Each T disc is single use only, to make 1 beverage.

When you use the machine, switch on at the mains and at the front 'on' switch on the unit BEFORE placing the T disc in it's compartment. Then press the start button. If the unit is not switched on at the front switch first, the machine will not start, even when the start button is pressed, because it is unable to read the barcode on the T disc unless it is switched on before insertion.

This would be useful in a small work environment, as an early bedside drinks maker (like a Teasmade from the old days except there is no timer), great for bedsit or studio living, for the holiday home, for a B & B, in fact for many applications.

The downsides are that these T discs are very expensive and from what little I saw in Sainsbury, to find a variety of beverages they would need to be purchased online. This is a bit inconvenient. As I am not rich, this is treat coffee! Because of the downsides I have taken off 1 star.

Update - I have now tried the Costa Cappuccino - VERY disappointed. It really wasn't very good at all and the drink was very small even though they labelled it as large!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon 25 February 2013
Colour: Black|Chrome|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Bosch 1.4 litre Tassimo is a well made coffee machine with a large reservoir for water. It comes with clear instructions and thus is easy to set up and operate. No sample coffee capsules come with the machine so you will have to buy some before you can try it for the first time. You will also need to be sure what particular drink you wish to have because, apart from a variety of flavours, there is a variety of cup size. The coffee pods have a bar code which the machine reads to dispense the right amount of water. Some of the packs of pods only have enough for eight cups. I bought a sixteen cup Kenco medium roast first time round, and that provides each mug of coffee for 24p.

I like the fact that you can use this machine for tea and hot chocolate, as well as different types of coffee. It is quick and quiet in operation. Perhaps it occupies quite a large space on the kitchen counter compared with other brands - the base is large - having said that it is a sturdy and stable design and very unlikely to be knocked over accidentally. Its overall appearance is smart and I recommend it strongly.
on 21 April 2013
So far so good really froths my lattes and easy to clean and use perfect....very happy and at a great price aswell