on 23 January 2013
This is a novella in the elemental world, where we first followed B and Gio, then Carwyn and Brigid, and I strongly suggest if you haven't read these to do so first. I'm sure you would still enjoy this if you haven't but there is lot you wouldn't get about the world, such as how vampires live and references that are made to previous storylines and characters.

I have to say that Elizabeth Hunter has fast become my very favourite author, and anything she writes I don't so much read as take them in by osmosis, living, eating, breathing the whole world for days on end. Her characters are alive and vivid and the story gripping, this novella is no exception, in fact I am not sure how she gets so much depth and passion in such a short space. This story is about Gemma and Terry. Gemma is the vampire daughter of Carwyn and Terry is the leader of London, a bit of a rough diamond I think you could call him but with a swoon worthy love of Gemma. We are first introduced to the pair in This Same Earth (book 2 of elemental mysteries) where they are a couple of convenience. This is the story of how they become so much more. It is passionate, intense and nail bitingly tense, and slightly furthers the storyline of the elixir which has run through all the elemental books.

I don't like saying what happens on the rare occasions that I feel moved to write a review, I just want to urge everyone out there who has read the other books that this is a must and if you haven't then please do so, you are really missing out on a treat.
on 31 December 2016
Only 4 stars simply because it is too short. Terry and Gemma are in a long term relationship, but it began many, many, many years ago as a business arrangement which has made them the vampire leaders of London.

Now Terry has a problem. He is in love with Gemma and needs to get her on the same page.

I love Terry. Think Jason Statham with fangs. He and Gemma also make smaller appearances in some of the other Elemental stories, and there is always some humour surrounding them.
on 15 August 2013
I haven't read the full elemental series which is probably why I didn't get as much of a kick out of this novel, that being said I don't really feel that there was that much to this story. For me even the sexualized scenes lacked passion and conviction. The change from the love/hate to pure love was so predictable it was boring which is a shame as the first scene was interesting.Ok for a light read but unless the novels were really cheap or preferably free I can't say I am in a rush to buy anymore. Not a literary genius/work of art by any stretch of the imagination. However this doesn't mean that it cannot be enjoyable for others. As with all books, read and decide yourself
on 3 May 2013
From this book I would have guessed that Elizabeth Hunter had taken a job as a 'sweat shop' Mills and Boon writer. You know, just churning out stories for the sake of stories! Sorry but I think this whole connected to the 'Elements' storyline thing has come to the end of it's credibility. Sadly 'spin offs' rarely work.
It would have been better written as a stand alone story then I would have read the book description and then not bothered downloading it at all.
NOW, if Ms Hunter were to resurrect Gio, Bea and Gio's 'son' (because he can't REALLY be dead) and all the other main characters we all grew so 'fond' of - then I would be the first to download and start reading.
on 15 February 2013
This is a novella that expands our emotional enjoyment in the characters of Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental World. This story is not a stand alone addition - you have to read the rest of these books! (If you haven't read them already, why not? They are amazing books to lose yourself in!!)
The only problem I have with this story is the lack of a clear beginning and end, although I s'pose the other books introduce you to Gemma and Terry and their relationship.
I can't wait for the next full length instalment of this World by an author who is fast becoming one of my favorite story tellers!! This short addition was frustratingly not enough to soothe my withdrawal symptoms!!
on 24 March 2013
THIS was more like it (as compared to Building from Ashes). This book felt like a stand alone novel but also related to the Elemental series - characters we were introduced to informally in the series. Well written with the character development I've come to expect from this author.

I'm looking forward to learning more and more about the peripheral characters we were introduced to in the series. I'm hazarding a guess and saying that we're probably going to get to know Carwyn's large family a bit better. I just hope Gio and B turn up more in future books! I also can't wait to watch Ben grow up!
on 10 February 2015
It is a good addition to the "Elemental world" but relied on the reader to have already read the original Elemental set of books as you had very little time to get to know the characters in the story. Although I found the story-line interesting if I hadn't already read the original set of books this particular Novella would not have made me want to read the rest of the series of books.
on 14 May 2017
Having enjoyed all the other books in the elemental series I looked forward to reading about Gemma and Terry .Good characters with a sparky, funny, dialogue that I enjoyed .The plot itself was a little thin but still a good read.
on 16 February 2013
Sweet and short. I always find it difficult to review novellas, because there is so little can say without going through the whole plot.

I've always wondered about Terry and Gemma because they are such an interesting tumultuous couple who no surface don't have anything in common, However, Waterlocked explores their differences and the roots of their unwilling fascination with each other.

It is especially difficult for Gemma. Terry is younger and pushier and hungrier for everything. He acts while she thinks of all the repercussions, he cultivates an image of a thug while in reality he is a very clever, ruthless savage in his reactions. If you compare Gemma with a fox, then Terry is a wolf. They might look incompatible, but they are formidable together.

This short story reminded me of The Taming of The Shrew, so if you enjoy a familiar plot you find pleasure in Waterlocked.
on 31 October 2013
i really enjoy all elemental world books. getting the first one free was a great find .once i had finished my first Hunter book i went on the hunt for every thing the author has written .i'v not been disappointed yet and must have read around 9 books in a Very short time. i like that you feel you are learning something new with the researched and attention to places and detail that hunter has obviously researched.