on 25 July 2014
I've used this everyday for 3 months now after using tomtom for years, it's ok as satnav's go, however there are a couple of faults. My main one is when you come to roundabout's it tells you the name of the road rather than the number, a few times I've arrived at a large 6 lane roundabout for it to say "take exit 3 to london road" so by the time I've looked up at the road sign to work out what road number exit 3 is and what lane I need, you can bet you bottom dollar I'm in the wrong lane. Just wish it would say A23 & so on. It has also frozen a couple of times. And it doesn't zoom in far enough especially at complex junctions. The traffic isn't great and every jam is always less than 5mins, even if I've been sat there for 20mins. They are my only faults, otherwise it's not a bad satnav, if they could sort those few things out it would be great and worthy of 5 stars.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2016
Had to reveiw my original review of this item, after some use over two weeks since ourchase, I can defiantely say it's a terrible sat nav (not the actual item) but the software and as for the direcrtions and traffic notifications, forget it, the sat nav looses the plot sometimes of where its directing you to (three times) - 'Traffic info on screen' it tells you there are no hold ups when your sitting in a traffic jam - AND when your going merrily along the roads with no hold ups it tells you theres one just ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the software BEWARE it comes with two attatched WIN files which can corrupt your computer badly, I had to do a complete factory reboot from backup disc due to this software, not knowing it was the Garmin software causing the problem until I went online to the microsoft community boards on which it is quite a common issue.
on 29 November 2013
I bought this partly due to the screen size which I must say is good but I also bought it to help find POIs for DIY/Garden centres and Pubs. I live in the UK but if I want to find a local pub for lunch the device sends me to Ireland. If I want to visit a garden centre I have to go to Belgium - not really convenient.!!
I've been in contact with Garmin over the past 2 months and they have enventully told me this is a problem with the mapping which is beyond their control. I've asked for a refund but they won't entertain that idea despite not being able to fix the mapping problem.
I feel as if I've been sold an item which is not 'fit for purpose' and am stuck with a device which cannot send me directions to where I want to go to.
Garmin tell me after much complaining that they have now logged this problem and that there will be new map updates at some point. Until then if I want a pub lunch when out and about I'll have to use the old fashioned method of common sense and a paper map.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2014
Which said it was one of the best Sat Nav's they had reviewed and they were obviously right! I can't fault it, it has all the features that I need including voice recognition, maps upgrades for life and blue tooth which enables your smart phones data. If you need traffic and a larger screen just pay the money and choose another model!
The bonus for me was that despite Amazons predicted extended delivery date of between 2 - 5 weeks,(obviously due to it's popularity) and later confirmed as between the 14th -27th of June it arrived as they subsequently advised on May 28th.
An absolute steal at Amazons price of £133.98 (Retail £159.99). However, be prepared for a lengthy programme update when you have downloaded Garmin express of between 2- 3 hours! Still worth the wait, just choose your time slot to suit as you should not disconnect once you have started.
on 20 July 2014
Arrived super quick :) Once you get it talking to you PC (very problematic with W8.1), and then fully updated = circa 3.5 hours it is great to use. Garmin support is woeful as is the supplied documentation. But the product s great and easy to use once you get over the initial hurdles...
on 14 September 2013
I bought this to replace a Tom Tom. It works well - it's intuitive to use (needs to be; there is no manual with it), graphics are good, directions clear, found satellites quickly, rerouted quickly, traffic updates worked well, light and small to carry. With the 'lifetime' maps and traffic alerts it's very good value (lifetime defined by the manufacturer to some degree but I am sure they won't withdraw the services in the near future). My only caution is the screen size. It's the size it's sold at, so the choice was mine. However, I would warn that some symbols and information get a bit small when, for example, various split screens of information are being shown. The key information is always readable but it might be worth considering a 5 inch screen instead. Wish it came with some sort of carry case but they never do. In summary: very pleased withy purchase.
on 17 June 2015
Had to send mine back for repairs after a few months of use, at my cost. But it was replaced with another fixed used machine after just a few days. However the parcel was covered in dry computer ink that ruined the shirt I was wearing when receiving the parcel.

There are no voices to choose from, unlike TomTom. It finds satellites within seconds, maps out routes in a fraction of the time my TomTom could, and reads out road names and lane directions which is extremely useful.

Inputting addresses takes a little longer with an additional screen to go through. But the postcode page only highlights the buttons that are used in Postcodes, making inputting them super quick and easy.

I do miss my TomTom, but this was a bigger screen, half the price and comes with free map updates. Those are advantages that made me decide to buy it and I'm glad I did.
on 17 May 2016
This is good product however I still love old version where it gave an advance indication on next 2 moves. in this one it guide you and only when you are closer to the place suggest which exit or lane to take. if you are at a decent speed may struggle and ended up in wrong lane.
on 20 February 2014
We purchased this Sat Nav with our road trip to the States in May in mind and it gave us a chance to give it a good trial run before our holiday. We are more than satisfied with it so far but the big test won't come until we go away. No doubt it will be perfect for what we need
on 8 October 2014
My kids got me this for Christmas to replace a TOM TOM one and although the screen is better and bigger and it does things quicker
I don't like the fact that you cant choose an alternative route like the TOM TOM
If you want to avoid a road such as the A1 coming home from Scotland recently you have to scroll through the map and tap the start and end of the road you want to avoid and it's such a pain to get it just right
Any one who knows the A1 will know that the best way to go from Buckinghamshire to Edinburgh is via the M1 and M6 as you have three lanes and higher speed and more services, the A1is rubbish and has only two lanes in most places so how can the Garmin say it's the best route.?
Perhaps because it's American .?
Will have to carry the old trusty road atlas with me as back up, so much for technology.!