on 20 February 2013
I was recommended this book by a friend, and must remember to thank him. This was a terrific read. Set in Britain after a terrifying virus has wiped out the global population, it follows a young man who has been fending for himself since the plague.

The author paints a compelling and disturbingly realistic picture of life for the lone survivor of a disaster. A lot of the story focuses on the daily struggle to survive and stay sane with no human interaction. The author makes what could have been too grim and oppressive a scenario actually very readable, thanks to an identifiable "boy next door" central character and some terrific detail to make the world of the story real. I could see and feel the changes to towns and the environment, and also enjoyed the idea that the hero will have read or seen many of the stories of the end of the world before it happened to him for real.

I ended up staying awake late into the night to finish the book, as the story built to a nicely-judged ending. I would recommend this to anyone who fancies something a bit different, or fans of this genre who want a fresh spin on the end of the world storyline.
on 20 May 2015
I liked the Wanderer, it draws you in and maintains interest all the way through. There are a few issues - why is the boy so poorly prepared? He has been out there alone for 5 years yet at no time has he attempted to stockpile batteries and a torch or find a dynamo torch. How come a whole group of young thugs managed to survive when 99.9999% of the rest of the population died. How come said thugs have blood hound like tracking abilities? I can understand that the girl might be an excellent motivation for them to keep looking, however not one of the living gang members even saw her, so how did they know she was there? Why is the author so reticent about telling us the boy's name and the city he is in? He tries to throw you off track by saying "gas station" and then uses the word "petrol" in the same sentence, but there are some obvious clues which tell us it is set in the UK - Motorways are mentioned several times, the boy survives on crisps and biscuits early on and the library being damaged by WWII bombing, why the big mystery? As a first novel it is a worthy effort and it is very unlikely the author had the luxury of paid editorial review. For all my criticism I could not have done better and as I said at the start I enjoyed it.
on 13 April 2014
It's not an action book where the protagonist gets the girl and saves the world. Don't buy this book for the action, because it's not about that. Sure there IS action, but what this book does is focus on the story, the setting, the realism.

From real-world references (books, TV shows, celebrities etc) to the vision of a whispered apocalypse, this book paints an amazing portrait. If you're the kind of person who reads a book for the story, who can get so engrossed that they literally can't put the book down, then this will not disappoint.

Well worth 99p, I only wish there was a sequel because so much of what the characters did next remains unexplored.

I recommend this to anyone who wants a realistic reality of a post-apocalyptic world. It might lack radiation, mutants and other post-apocalyptic goodies, but it will not disappoint, not for a single second.
on 2 February 2013
David Anderson's The Wanderer is set in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by a virus. Our protagonist was a boy when the virus hit and has been wandering alone in his home city ever since. I don't want to tell you too much about the plot (I hate spoilers!) so for now you will have to settle with that. At first glance my immediate thoughts were "not another post-apocalyptic story along the lines of Herbert's '48 or McCarthy's The Road." So it was with trepidation that I purchased Anderson's first attempt at a novel. How happy I was that I did.

Yes, the story might be as common as a rom-com these days but Anderson's tale feels fresh. His style is clear and free-flowing and allows the reader to be swept along. This is no mean feat considering that for the first half of the book there is no dialogue at all. The ominous landscape and wallowing existence of the protagonist are perfectly depicted. That said, it is in the second half of the book that the story truly takes off. Again, I will not tell you much (other than our protagonist doesn't remain alone) but trust me when I say that it has been a long time since I had encountered a book which refused to be put down (speaking metaphorically as it is an e-book!).

In truth, I am impressed. The horror genre has been inundated with paranormal romance as of late. I am happy to see that there are some out there who are trying valiantly to stem this tide of mediocrity and banality. Anderson's The Wanderer offers me hope. He is one to keep an eye on.
on 9 April 2013
I do love post-apocalyptic novels and this is a good example of the genre. I understand that it is a first offering by this author and will look out for future releases by him.

I've read many other self-published (KDP) books recently but few can match this in terms of quality of writing. The story hangs together well; there is good pace and structure with plenty of flashbacks to explain how 'the boy' came to be where and who he is. Interestingly, the boy is alone for about half of the story and is unnamed, so there is obviously very little dialogue to play with. This is skillfully executed and we have a strong sense of place, decay and menace in the city.

Oh, and no spelling or grammar mistakes that I spotted - hooray!

Highly recommended.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 June 2013
I gave this four stars because it seemed believable and quite well written despite occasional flowery language e.g. describing a crescent moon as an iridescent fingernail clipping. The sentence construction, grammar and spelling were all fine, making it easy to read. I think the author has based the book in England with concessions made to American readers. Although placenames don't appear, we (the UK) are one of the few countries where we drive on the left, and in the US 'pavement' doesn't necessarily mean 'sidewalk'. Had the English been poor I'd have given only 3 stars. Also I think it's better to do like Ian Rankin did after his earlier books and just give places real names. To summarise if you're troubled by novels with too many characters and subplots, you'll enjoy this uncomplicated read.
on 17 February 2013
A very well written debut novel. The author manages to depict the landscape and characters well and kept them believable despite the subject matter. As a reader you are quite quickly drawn into the day to day life of 'The Boy' the main character.
As an author myself,I use dialogue as a tool to tell stories. The author didn't really have this luxury due to the nature of the story but managed to carry it off. Not an easy thing to do.
As this isn't a genre I would usually choose, I can't say how it compares but it is testament to the author that I looked forward to picking it up each day.
If he produces a follow up novel I will definitely buy it.
on 28 March 2014
I enjoyed this book, though I did not expect to. I had read a review that wasn't all that complimentary that stated the book was slow and overly explained. While I did find it slow to start and I have to agree that the author went to great lengths to explain every little detail and yes, in my opinion he was overly descriptive of everything, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing, not when he created such an interesting plot and had me intrigued and actually caring for the protagonist. The Wanderer is a story of a boy, left wandering a country devastated after it is hit by a plague that kills almost everyone off. It's 5 years later and its easy to believe he is the only person left alive on earth.
There is not a lot of action from start to finish and its not a massively fast paced story but its a good one. I grew to care about the boy, found myself rooting for him, and despite the slow start, couldn't wait to pick up the book as soon as I could because I really wanted to know what would happen next.
on 9 May 2013
I was recommended this book, and being intrigued by the premise, I decided to give it a go. I am so pleased I did! The book kept me hooked from the start.

The Wanderer tells the story of a survivor of a global apocalypse. David Anderson paints a realistic picture of what the world might be like. He pushes you outside of your comfort zone, and makes you think about how you would be able to cope if you were in the boy's shoes.

The story is fast-paced enough to keep you turning the pages (or pressing the button, on the kindle!), but not so fast that you can't keep up with everything that is happening. I won't go into detail on the plot, because then you will have nothing to discover! However, there were a few moments where I found myself anxious as to how the boy would get out of certain situations, again, the writing is so good that you don't see twists and turns coming.

As soon as I finished this book, I also purchased another book by David Anderson - The Window. The Window
It is a short story, which is incredibly well written, and also very realistic. Anderson seems to understand how people might react in a variety of situations - he does not write predictable or clichéd characters - he writes real people - they could even be the person sitting down from you on the bus.

I actually read this book a while ago, but was reminded of it today, so I started reading it again. I have had to force myself to put my kindle down, not only to write this review, but also to plan my lessons for tomorrow!

I am eagerly waiting for the next story from David Anderson.
on 17 March 2016
I don’t normally pick this genre of book, but it was recommended to me by a friend who said it was a refreshing change to the normal post-apocalyptic story. And I will be recommending this to everyone I know. From start to finish, you’re gripped by the daily struggles of the main character. The choice to tell the story from the sole perspective of this character, keeps you in the world throughout the book, and the way in which the author describes the world around him really puts in his shoes. The twists and turns of the book keep you guessing throughout and make you want to keep reading long into the night.
If you want a change from the paint-by-numbers post-apocalyptic story, pick this book up and you won’t be disappointed.