on 5 April 2013
I find reading Richard Rohr really refreshing. I am currently reading this for the second time, and am getting new things from it all the time. It is extremely helpful to read his views on faith and Christianity, not least because it helps me begin to understand why I found church so frustrating and found God so distant for so many years. This book and others by Richard Rohr, amongst others, are helping me to move on and I am now finding a totally new and wonderful relationship with God.
on 9 December 2014
Finally a Christian writer who writes about the true ministry of Jesus - the dying of the self to live. Not just a worthwhile read but a must read if you want to grow in consciousness and spirituality.
on 27 August 2014
Richard Rohr was recommended to me by my spiritual advisor and I came to this book through his Daily Meditation email. I found it a slow start because he talks about the True Self and the False Self, concepts which were new to me but I became drawn in by his amazing way of putting things and his clearly eyed love of people and lack of bigotry.

I found I read it in sections, taking time to write about what had struck me in my journal. There were so many resonances and insights that I recommended the book to friends who also loved it. I think it probably has resonances for people in the second half of life when the old black and white certainties no longer satisfy. Rohr talks about the importance of being able to tolerate dualities and conflicts, without needing to explain them or entirely resolve or understand them. His God is one of utter grace and love who relates to us through our fallibility and the mistakes we make, not in spite of them.

I am looking forward to reading his book about the second half of life next.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I would have liked some more practical guidance on how to move from the false to the true self.
on 1 June 2015
Undoubtedly one of the most significant messages of our era. Though, unsurprisingly, here couched in Christian terms, it can be found in the Upanishads and Tao Te Ching and is echoed by discoveries in modern psychology.

Unfortunately the first half of this ebook is riddled with typographical errors which, though not distracting from the message, nevertheless makes reading difficult sometimes. When an ebook is priced at this level I think we should expect a better standard of production.
on 1 June 2015
Like most of us, main stream religion has lost is hold on our attention. This book recommended to me by my Padre, was a tool to help me search for what I have been looking for. Answers are what we need to make sense of our surroundings and what is going on in our own lives. This book delves in to who and what are we...us...you.

Finding ourselves and what makes us "tick" might be karma or having a peaceful soul. Knowing one's self is the one thing that most of us don't know. Looking inside ourselves for the "Answers", realizing what we understand about ourselves and what matters and what doesn't, is in here.

Open your mind to an alternative perspective and sit and reflect on what has been said. It has opened my eyes to some real truths in my own life about me. I can see why my Padre wanted me to read this great book. Love does conquer all.
on 28 May 2015
As an attempt to infuse Christianity with life, and doing so without discarding its older and time worn traditions, this is worth a read. Yet I have found Thomas Merton's various explorations of the "true" and "false" self to have greater insight, clarity and guidance. Also, and this may well seem pedantic, but Mr Rohr should try to stop saying that Buddhists speak of the ways of the false self as "emptiness". "Emptiness" - and other equivalent terms like "suchness" - is used by Buddhists to denote the Ultimate Reality, not to describe that which is vacuous or false.
on 13 November 2013
I FOUND THIS BOOK REALLY BEAUTIFUL. IT IS GIVES A BEAUTIFUL EXPLANATION OF OUR WONDERFUL BEING AND GOD'S DEEP AND PERSONAL LOVE FOR EACH. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE WHO IS SEEKING TO DEEPEN THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.
on 17 March 2013
I am a great fan of Richard Rohr, and was looking forward to this book coming out. It does not disappoint, but takes one to a new depth in oneself, where one can find the true self. The inner life is full of meaning in a world where the outer life is so often hard, complexing, horrifying but by goin g inward, then one can face the outer world in a different and more fulfilling way.
on 18 August 2013
The Immortal Diamond is my first contact with Richard Rohr and I am very impressed with the depth of his knowledge; he draws on a wealth of contemplative and mystical material in his writing as well as showing his Franciscan roots. I would recommend that this book is read slowly; I dashed through it on my first reading but intend to go back and take my time with a second reading. Two reasons for this; firstly there's a lot to take on and reflect about, secondly if you read it fast it can feel quite repetitive (the constant references to the 'false' and 'true' selves). I have only given it 4 stars because I don't feel that it's completely accessible - you need a certain level of education and knowledge to be able to access this book, but if you are someone who has already begun to grapple with mystical Christianity then you will find this book clear and illuminating.
on 30 March 2014
I would have rated it even higher, but although I loved almost everything he said, he went into a spiteful critique on 'psychotherapy' -typical of the RC Church which always thinks it knows better than anyone else how to heal the sick, but is often blind-sided by prejudice.
Of course it may have been that of the American model of psychotherapy and psychoanalysis which is money-grubbing and often flaky, but I don't think it applies to the majority of my British colleagues - christian or not.

Otherwise, as said, I like his style and found it all helpful. I'm likely to buy his other books, and I suppose it's a sort of compliment that I wish I could argue with him face to face!
elinor.kapp@gmail.com