Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 31 January 2016
I found this book most enjoyable to read because it chronicles the part the author played in his efforts to curtail the demise of steam railway engines in the UK rail network and it very creatively couples this task with his account of his working and social life which gives the book a really good and varied period related perspective and feel.

The author's previous book ("Railway Boy") was very well received and therefore when considering various reviews of this book I cannot agree with the negative reviews put forward as I found this book quite absorbing and read it in a couple of days. Further, one particularly adverse review seems quite unfair and in my opinion seems to lack validity in that it criticises the author's very occasional erudite vocabulary which I am sure most readers would not object to and the author's desire to preserve the anonymity of various third parties which clearly must be beyond reproach.

Finally, I am sure a lot of potential readers will enjoy this book as much as I did.
on 3 March 2015
This book is soooooo boring and seems so false. The author continually displays three habits which really annoyed this reader. The first is the ridiculous use of obscure vocabulary - is he trying to show us how clever he is?

The second - and just as annoying - habit is the allusion to people, places and companies without actually naming names. What is the point, when in many cases the subject is perfectly obvious to anybody with local knowledge but others without that knowledge are just left wondering? Perhaps this is an indication that the whole thing is a fabrication and thus by not naming names the author is protecting himself from legal action?

The third annoying habit is the almost pathetic degree of modesty, implying that he does not feel himself worthy of anything in life.

I always try to finish a book, not matter how dull and uninteresting, purely as a matter of principle and in the hope that it will eventually improve. This book has defeated me - I just had to give up at 48% through, just after he left Liverpool. Don't make my mistake - just pass on by and find something worth reading.
on 26 January 2015
This was spoilt for me by the excessive use of words I have never come up against in 83 years I found this most annoying and distracting what was the author trying to prove.
on 9 February 2014
This was bought in error as it was mistaken for "The Railwayman" that is now a film.
I have started to read this, parts are of interest, but some the words used are so extraordinary.