on 16 April 2014
I was looking for ultrabook type of laptop which didn't break the bank. I did some research before I cam across the Asus and it appeared to fit the bill. I read the reviews on here and them seemed to be positive so I went ahead and brought it. I have not used windows 8 before and have only heard bad things about it. However I had the my device configured and had a normal windows 7 desktop installed and now use both versions. I must say the touch screen is great for all sorts of reasons.
I initially had some issues with the touch pad which is very sensitive but you get used to it and I have downloaded gesture controls which allows you to do a lot more with the touch pad. The keyboard on the whole good, although the keys are shallow I would like them to be a bit deeper but that is my only one issue with the keyboard. The start up is also quick. my main issue is with the display, it is not a good as a expected and is a bit washed out, I have set it and dark as possible but its still lacking, which is a shame considering all the good things. I use the device for work on the whole and find it is great, and also very portable, sleek and looks great. My colleague asked me which type of Air book it was! it does look good and much more expensive then the £500.00 price tag. On the whole excellent value for money. You can pay a lot more and get something really similar but why can you save the money! anyone looking for a light compact laptop you should seriously consider this device.
on 20 October 2014
I bought this to replace my smaller lenovo. I didn't want a 15.6 inch screen as I prefer a smaller machine. In itself this is ok. It feels solid, the keyboard if fine for me as I like the tile design. One of the first things I did was put a screen protector on to temper the horrible glossiness of the screen. The touch screen works fine and I've got used to using trackpad, keys and touch, but I hate (with a vengeance!!) multi gesture track pads. This one is highly touch sensitive and buttons, which is good, but catch it with another finger and it has a mind of it's own! If you like this style of trackpad then it should suit

It's windows 8 which I have no problem with but it's an acquired taste.

For me I should have stuck with a smaller format as I find this too big -for me. Although I think one of my daughters is eyeing this up to replace her HP laptop!
on 2 January 2015
I've been using this for about a year and have a few minor problems, but would generally say I quite like it. I purchased the i7 version for about £600 and it has been good for everything which I use it for. At the time of purchase I wanted something quick and relatively cheap, I looked elsewhere at the Acer S7 which for a similar spec. (albeit with a Haswell chip) I was looking at well over £1000, then you're getting into Mac Book Air price territory and although I was tempted, being a student I couldn't warrant spending the additional £300-500.

I use the machine for light programming for Uni, plus internet browsing and using it as a wireless media centre to a smart TV which it has never struggled with and once updated from Windows 8 to 8.1 it has been great with a little tinkering with the Windows settings. The keyboard does take a bit of getting used to and the mouse pad is quite bad, but if you uninstall all the Asus bloatware which comes with it, including the 'gestures' program it becomes much better and again you quickly get used to it.

I have recently installed a 840 Evo SSD and another 4Gb ram and it is much musch quicker than when I purchased it.

I also recommended this laptop (albeit the i3 version) to my girlfriends sister who has been using it for about 9 months and she has been very impressed also, there also doesn't seem to be a massive speed difference in general use than mine (prior to installation of the SSD.

The touch screen I do feel to be a bit of a novelty and very rarely use it, so unless you are someone who needs one I wouldn't buy this laptop purely for this feature.

The battery life is pretty good, with about 4 hours on full performance and brightness, and up to about six on the minimal settings. The 'instant on' and sleep functions are also very good, and just shutting the lid puts the laptop into sleep mode and will preserve the battery without having to switch it off and will pretty much load instantly up once opened again.

Overall I do like this laptop, like I've said it does have its quirks and it very aesthetically pleasing (My metal case is still in very good condition, with only one scratch), if you're looking for perfection then spend the extra money and go with the apple or whatever the most recent Acer is, otherwise I'd recommend this, unless there is something else better at this point in time.
on 5 September 2014
I am having quite a few problems with this laptop. First of all I could not disable the touch pad, so the words kept jumping all over the place (my son has done it for me now, he had to update the touch pad driver I believe). I am having problemsaccesing the internet and it cannot be due to my internet provider, as my twins can acess it with their laptops. I think it is a good laptop for the price but it is not for older people. It is for young people that are totally tuned with computing and technology. It is heavier than my last laptop,
on 14 July 2014
It ships with Windows 8.0, so you'll spend about 48 hours downloading upgrades and updates to get 8.1.
I find the combined mouse pad / mouse buttons annoying. You position the mouse over a tick-box, but the slightest movement when you go to "click" and the mouse will move. Separate buttons would be a lot easier.

Other than that, a nice PC (good to have an old fashioned VGA port, not everyone has HDMI yet)
on 1 December 2013
Touchscreen - Touchscreen is very responsive. Makes using the laptop very enjoyable.
Looks - Metal style top and casing with plastic bottom looks great.
Slim and lightweight - Almost an ultrabook! Very easy to carry around.
Trackpad - Gestures are almost as good as on a macbook and is pretty smooth.
Sound - Audio on this laptop is much better then I was expecting.

Battery life - Power saver in settings is essential when out and about.
Screen - It isn't bad but won't win any awards.

If you want to game on this is can handle casual games such as Portal 2 on low settings but cannot handle high level gaming. Built in graphics just isn't meant for that. Find a laptop with a built in graphics card if you want it for gaming.

For all other tasks such as browsing the web, watching films, listening to music and word processing this laptop works great!

I use the laptop for university work and am very happy with it, so long as the power adapters at hand.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2015
This laptop is perfectly good for the task. It's an i5, pretty good speed, I upgraded to Windows 10 pretty much on starting it and put on MS Office 2016, and it's doing a great job.
I generally find refurbished laptops are every bit as good as new.
on 4 May 2014
The machine is lightweight and fast. Only drawback is WIndows 8, but that is nothing to do with the laptop obviously. The keyboard requires some getting used to as its more sensitive than a normal laptop. Also, you need to be careful the laptop doesnt topple over when flicking the screen as the weight of the screen is a lot compared to the rest of the laptop so it may lose balance and drop backwards. Also, the speakers is very good as very loud but also it is clear. I have connected via HDMI and VGA and it works fine. There is some bloatware so be aware of that. USB3 was a bit funny at first but havent transferred a lot of data onto it as of yet. Finally, please be aware there is not CD drive so you will need an external hard CD to burn disks etc. Goodbye.
on 14 October 2015
Fantastic laptop, had the i7 for 2 years now and it's a thing of beauty. I've used it for work so had it on for hours on end.
Stills works great now and the battery is still going strong. Best laptop I've ever owned. Much better than my old mac.
on 2 November 2014
This is a truely great piece of kit. Very fast, reliable and solidly made. The touch screen is very responsive, the resolution is good and colours great. We are very happy with the purchase.