on 20 June 2013
These were bought for my father to replace a pair of Karrimor boots he has almost worn out. Prior to being introduced to "trainer-type" footwear, he had always worn "sensible" shoes but had started to complain about sore calves. The Karrimors solved the problem and were so comfortable he has rarely worn any other outdoor footwear since. Unfortunately, the design was no longer available as a replacement, so I bought the Bodmin Low Iii shoe instead. He has found these equally comfortable and is thrilled at how light they are. The size is spot on with the size he always wears and the width is not tight.
58 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2014
At £70 RRP reduced to £27 this looked like a bargain even if they weren't perfect - wrong! First impressions were OK. I usually take 10.5s and these were, if anything, generous. I did wonder why I couldn't seem to tighten the laces sufficiently but was very pleased with the toe-room so ignored other signs.

I needed a sturdy sole to cope with stony paths and they performed well, transmitting no discomfort to the feet. However, this was probably because they were solid and inflexible, and after a while I began to notice the weight too. It was hard on the feet having so little give underneath, and the inability to tighten the laces enough to stop my feet moving around meant it was like walking on two sloppy platforms. The stiff upper exacerbated the sole inflexibility.

I was desperate to reach the end of a 4 mile walk. Too late to return the shoes - I should have heeded the warning niggles. I've now bought some Berghaus Prognosis 10.5s which so far seem vastly better.

The moral? If £70 reduced to £27 seems too good to be true, it probably is.
on 5 September 2014
I bought these to replace a pair of merrel approach shoes which I had worn out - these are nowhere near as good in terms of quality, comfort or anything else really. They leave my feet sweaty at the end of the day and are cut too wide for my feet (which are quite wide anyway).

I don't know what happened to Karrimor as a brand - they used to be up there with the likes of berghaus and I still have a karrimor alpiniste goretex jacket that I paid over £350 over 10 years ago which is almost like new - but their gear these days is not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination.

I own a pair of scarpa walking boots (crampon rated) that were very expensive, these are soo comfortable and never needed any break-in - I think I will end up ditching these karrimor shoes and spending a bit more on some scarpa ones.
on 9 June 2014
Comfortable and ideal for use in my circumstances. I will use them for my latest light hiking fad. But may use them in and around the town as a comfortable shoe that looks ok with jeans. I think they look like they will last as well. I will be back to update if they don't. But all in all.....A sturdy comfy trainer/walking/trekking/shoe.....good allrounders....in my circumstances.

Update....I used these on a local hill walk. I was about 8 miles from home when it rained for about 15 minutes. The shoes soaked up the water and became quite heavy, let the water in and seemed to stretch about 2 sizes up. My feet became very loose inside them, so I guess for the more serious hill walker/dog walker if there's a chance of rain.....don't wear them. It says waterproof.....but they are not!

Further Update....these shoes have now dried out and have not changed shape and have held their form. They are as comfortable as they were before they got soaked (so they weren't ruined). I will leave them at 3 *** though, as I won't get caught in the rain wearing them again (i hope).
on 4 March 2014
I was looking for a pair of trail/walking shoes to replace a pair of Regatta XLTs that are not made any longer and which have lasted me 2 years of being worn almost non stop! When I put them on I immediately felt they were very comfortable - right up there with my favourite shoes.

After wearing for a while however, there's something just slightly lacking in the feel when you walk. It's hard to explain, but I think the sole is either a tad too hard or inflexible.

The supplied laces are also too short to allow your foot in and the shoe to be laced up fully. That's a bit lazy...and careless.

***************

Update after 3 months

The shoes are better than I first thought. They are wearing very well, have kept shape well, and I've worn them almost every day, some days for 10 hours a day. I've got used to the harder soles and overall - worth 4 or 4.5 stars now not the 3 I awarded soon after purchase. I've now added a pair in black :)
on 21 July 2014
Used these Karrimor Low III Weathertite shoes both mornings over the weekend to walk my dog around the fields and do some weeding at the allotment. The grass was pretty wet post the storms overnight so I was expecting some dampness to leak through, surprised when I got back and my socks were still dry. I did find that the soles picked up an awful lot of mud and made the going quite heavy and slippy, that is quite consistent with other similar shoes or boots but I did feel like these collected more. The soles are pretty stiff so you don't feel anything from stones etc under foot. The lacing system is pretty secure, and the tongue is sown in so adds to the waterproof protection. For the price I can't knock the shoes and would certainly recommend them, time will tell how well they hold up with the dryness wet grass is one thing but I won't be running through puddles in them.
on 21 March 2014
I am "downgrading" from a pair of Merrell walking shoes that cost over 3 times more than these Karrimor shoes.
First impression of these is extremely positive, they appear well made and of good quality materials. They are very comfortable and do not feel at all heavy or cumbersome.
Out the box I walked 5 miles without any problem or discomfort. If they are waterproof, these shoes will be an outstanding purchase and excellent value for money, if not, they will be the same as my £90 Merrells !

Update
Have now walked through wet grass a few times that has completely soaked the outside of these shoes and they have remained totally watertight. I am walking 6 miles+ a day and they are still very comfortable but are not as flexible and supple as my Merrells, but they leak !!
on 24 July 2013
These were bought for my husband and are his second pair (identical size and colour). The first pair (also purchased from Amazon), lasted close to three years of almost continuous use. He loved them and found them extremely comfortable and quick to put on and tie up. After checking online with Amazon again, I found these were still available, so ordered them. He is now a happy man kwowing he has several years of wear ahead of him. These shoes are extremely well made and will stand up to a lot of abuse. The lacing system makes them exceedingly easy to get into and fasten firmly. They are excellent value for money and I think perhaps I should order another pair to be stored away, as they may not be available the next time!!
on 25 November 2017
good sturdy yet flexible walking trainer, and certainly mine have kept the rain away from my feet (the outer fabric gets wet but there is a waterproof 'bag' built-in between the outer layer and the inner layer hence stopping water reaching one's feet) i can even hose-wash my car in them without my feet getting wet.
on 28 July 2014
I have been buying this shoe for a while now and normally the fit is spot on. This time , slightly large but wearable with thick socks. I know shoes can be a bit hit or miss and different makers have a different fit for the same size, as do Tee shirt makers, eg Large may fit from one supplier and medium from another. Perhaps a better method of measurement is required.Otherwise, the quality is good for the price and they normally last well, the heel being the first part to succumb, the sponge inner appearing when the harder skin wears away after which thay go downhill rapidly. Always seems a pity when the uppers still look as if there is a lot of life left.