on 31 January 2013
After previously owning this in the early 90's, I knew what to expect in terms of the atmosphere, but this is taken to another level on the kindle. The writing style, coupled with the background music perfectly evokes memories of old Hammer Horror movies and takes the reader out of the comfort zone of previous Titan/Fantasy settings, while still retaining a connection to those sources with the use of certain enemies and magical scenarios. It's great fun exploring all of the rooms, even when it dawns on you that you're heading down the wrong path, which it is easy to do as there are many twists and turns. All of the original artwork is present, given a modern gloss with some nice colouring techniques, but still looks great in the original black and white option.

So it is a very tough book and may not be for everyone due to it's difficulty and a lack of Orcs, Goblins, Elves, etc, but with a real sense of achievement on completion.
on 3 February 2013
Yet another brilliant Fighting Fantasy adventure. Very tricky however and will get you thinking. More of the same please Tin Man Games.
on 28 June 2013
If you're around 40 and remember the fun you had as a child hunched over your Fighting Fantasy book with pen, paper and dice to hand then get this! You won't be disappointed. A perfect reincarnation of a classic FF written adventure where you decide which path and choices you make. Taken straight from paper and converted to digital format with added bells and whistles. It even allows you to cheat by placing your virtual finger in the previous entry if you want to.... and let's be honest....who of us who used to play these excellent adventures didn't do that?. Even if you're not one of us who want to reminisce, get it anyway. It's exciting, a little bit scary and you feel like you've achieved something if you get to the end (without cheating....).
on 15 March 2013
This was a real treat. As a youngster, I whittled away many an hour in these books and to see them ported to this format allows me to indulge all over again without the clatter of dice and wishing I had more thumbs in order to save my spot.

I'd never played this book originally, the one that springs to mind for me is Deathtrap Dungeon and I prefer that style, I found this one to be clunky. It doesn't reward exploration, if anything it punishes it and I really like to immerse myself in RPG's. So much so that I had to virtually go back to the beginning in order to escape, despite having taken the correct path!

It's also very disorienting, I have good spatial awareness yet I still needed to draw a map. This brings me to the 'however', the port is perfect but in this day and age consumers demand more. For a fraction of the price I could have a decent point and click adventure with a better soundtrack, graphics, cut scenes and interactive map...

Tin Man games are to be congratulated and please release more but consider what we get for the price and whether technology can improve on these classics.
on 6 February 2015
This is fantastic! This really captures the feel of the old fighting fantasy books. The entire book is playable, and the fights are automated with stats tracked for you. It has sound, enhanced versions of the classic original pictures, an optional classic view, and extra info about the history of the book and the series. It was also playable for me with no internet access, as I played it on a plane journey recently, so I think that's been updated from earlier versions, which is a big plus. House of hell is as hard as I remember it, but the game has difficulty levels. On the 'true' difficulty it still takes lots of goes, but it also has an optional bookmark system if you want to remember where you were up to, or if you just have to stop for a while. This is really worth the price.
on 22 May 2013
I used to have the paperback version of this game book, many years ago. Tin Man Games have done a fantastic job at converting this to an app. Totally recommended for any FF fans, or anyone new to the genre.
on 31 May 2013
Just as good as I remembered, used to love these books as a kid. It translates very well to Kindle as it does all the dice rolling and jotting for you. Difficult to complete this one but great fun trying. More please - and some Lone Wolf too they were great ;)
on 15 January 2014
Great fun and strikes a good balance between fidelity to the original and updating the presentation. The story itself is a good one - lovely homage to pulp horror staples like Hammer - although completely unforgiving if you play on hardcore. In some ways this is better than the book because if you play on the harder modes then it actually prevents you from cheating by flicking back and forth or adjusting your scores, which was always the temptation with the books. I'm looking forward to seeing what bells and whistles they add to future FF books. Other than the classics early in the range I'd like to see underrated gems like Dead of Night, Stealer of Souls and Midnight Rogue. In fact, all of them!
on 15 June 2014
Tin Man have done an excellent job a perfect port from book to app.
The artwork and original illustrations now in colour.
Really well-written and atmospheric.
Classic horror story, dark stormy night ,broken down car in the middle of nowhere,,spooky old mansion.
on 6 March 2014
I bought the original as a paperback and loved it as a kid. Even though I am . . . Somewhat older . . . The book itself hasn't dated at all. It's challenging, full of atmosphere and well worth the money. I also liked the addition of the awards, took me a while to collect them all.