2,730

on 3 January 2014
I really enjoyed this, and couldn't put it down. On one hand its a light funny rom-com, that feels like it will be a successful feel-good film, on the other hand it educates the normal socially adept reader to see the social world from an alternative point of view. We see the world from Don's view point, an Australian genetics professor with many Asperges traits. I found it hard not to give him an American accent because he is very much like Sheldon in the 'Big Bang Theory'. By the end, though, Don's character is definitely distinct from Sheldon's (though in reality such a big change in social skills is unlikely to occur). I think they are both great, not because I think they are hilarious, as some readers do, but because I can relate to their way of thinking, which really makes me smile. Thankfully I only have a few of the traits, like sometimes taking things literally and finding it hard to lie or break rules.
I think it's ironic that so many readers seemed to have warmed to Don's character yet in real life many people keep their distance from those who are affected by Asperges syndrome. I hope the book helps to educate the public, and make them more understanding of those who are different. Ah, but I should explain, it's not Don that is different, it's everyone else!
on 24 May 2015
Knocking on age forty, autistic Professor Don Tillman, genetics authority, launches a highly scientific search for a wife. Along the way he meets Rosie who, although unsuitable as a potential mate, does inspire him to embark with her on another quest: to discover her real father through clandestine DNA testing. This unlikely pair form the heart of a very funny and heart-warming book that will have you laughing out loud. You will love Don Tillman who is completely aware that he is wired differently, and struggles gamely to understand the rules of conventional social engagement. Quick to read, hard to put down, this delightful novel leaves a smile on your face!
on 6 January 2015
Thought this book great as it made me smile as well as laugh . I finished it and started reading it again . It is a tale of boy meets girl , although he doesn't realise it . Two people who are anything but mundane although anything but stupid .Two scenes that are memorable are the one with the cocktails and the one at the Faculty Ball , so funny . A brilliant idea to have a proposed Wife questionnaire
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had a horrible feeling I was going to be in a minority for this one. I was one of the few who really disliked One Day, and although I didn't feel as strongly negative about this one, I am still perplexed at all the love being sent its way.

Superficially, it is a sweet, easy-to-read story about a highly intellectually intelligent genetics expert, Don Tillman, who has somehow reached the age of 40 without realising, or being diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum. He has no social skills and lacks empathy and therefore has not had much luck with the ladies. So he devizes a questionnaire to help him identify a suitable candidate to be his life partner. No prizes for guessing what happens next. Someone comes along (Rosie) who fails the questionnaire completely but who he comes to love. He also has a friend called Gene who is a middle-aged serial seducer married to the long-suffering Claudia.

It's supposed to be funny but all the humour comes from the fact that Don puts his foot in it all the time because he doesn't understand the complexities of human behaviour. This idiot savant character I found both patronising and irritating. Nobody is this two dimensional (no actually, the other characters in the book are also this two dimensional). Just writing about it is making me feel cross.

It's an easy read. There are one or two laugh-out-loud moments, but they made me feel a bit uncomfortable. The end is slushy. I didn't much like it. Lots of people obviously did. Sorry.
About 50 pages in I thought this was one of the best comic novels I'd read for years. Now that I've finished it I still think that, but it's also a wonderfully tender love story, and a book that will make you both laugh out loud and cry.
I discovered it because Bill Gates listed it as one of his books of the year, and it sat on my shelves for three months of so, as I was intrigued by it, but also slightly wary. When I finally picked it up I raced through it. It's far better than I'd expected, and incredibly acomplished with Graeme Simsion showing real skills in writing sympathetic characters, big set pieces, and a suspense for how the story will end up.
I'm delighted that this book has done so well - 220,000 sold in the UK in 2014 - and think that it deserves to be seen as a modern classic.
on 3 November 2015
I'm not sure there is a product description for this book, and having read it on my kindle, I don't know what the "back page cover" said. This is a book from my personal bookshelf, which I decided to read mainly because of all the hype surrounding it. It's taken me a while to get around to it mainly because I wasn't sure what it was about and also the lobster on the cover put me off!
So, what is it all about? Don Tillman is a genetics professor who views the world very logically due to him I believe having Aspergers Syndrome. To me he comes across as Spock meets Roy Cropper (Coronation Street).

He has reached the age of 40 and the research he has read points to married men living longer and happier lives. So he decides to tackle the acquisition of a wife in the same way he would his research. He formulates a questionnaire to garner suitable candidates to be his wife.

Alongside this is his friend, Gene, who is also a professor and collecting women from each country to add notches to his bedpost, albeit being married to Claudia.

Don begins his research project but meets Rosie - thrown into the mix by his friend Gene. What follows is a tale of how he and Rosie interact - very unconventionally given Don's OCD approach to the world.

My favourite part of the book was when they were cooking and the meal was going to be late. Rosie suggests putting the clock to the time it would have been, which ensures that Don is able to let go of the his OCD and cook the meal.

I found this a strange book, certainly different to anything I have read before. It did make me laugh out loud and there are some fabulous observations in this book. If you find it difficult to suspend disbelief, then this is probably not the book for you.
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2015
Don Tillman is a Professor of Genetics - and a textbook example of someone suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Don knows there's something about him that women find unappealing; he also finds it difficult to make friends and, typical of people with OCD, has an above-average intelligence.

Everything about his life is meticulously ordered and precisely scheduled. There's even a Standardised Meal System which not only simplifies shopping but has almost zero waste and produces a planned and nutritionally balanced diet. For his new project - The Wife Project - Don needs a scientifically valid questionnaire that will filter out (amongst other undesirable groups) time wasters, vegans, smokers and religious fanatics.

Then Rosie walks into his life...

Rosie is highly intelligent, extremely attractive - and with dyed red hair. But, when it comes to meeting the requirements of The Wife Project questionnaire, Rosie is obviously an utter and complete non-starter.

As the relationship develops - as, of course, it must - The Wife Project (now almost solved) is taken over by The Father Project. Brought up by her mother Rosie is uncertain about her true biological father. To a geneticist like Don the solution is utterly straightforward: since the men in her mother's life are easily identified they simply need to obtain DNA samples (from wine glasses, toothbrushes and hairbrushes) that can be compared with Rosie's DNA...

It's extremely obvious and extremely simple - and with hilarious consequences.

Read and enjoy; it's a well-written and genuinely funny book.
on 29 September 2014
This book is an absolute delight. The humour had me laughing out loud. It is written in the first person by someone who obviously has Asperges, but who is undiagnosed. Don Tillman, It is a real insight into the complex thought processes associated with this condition and the related misunderstandings. all of which lead to some hilarious situations. I felt so bereft at parting company with these characters when the book came to an end, I was therefore delighted to discover an equally engaging sequel in 'The Rosie Effect' which I bought and am enjoying immensely. Graeme simseon is definitely one to watch. I just hope a TV company will pick this up, because it is begging to become a top sit-com.
on 22 July 2015
A love story with a difference as we follow Don Tillman's autistic adventures looking for a life partner. Plenty of amusing moments and some insight into the world Don inhabits. Only slight complaints are the "runing joke" of Don's interactions with other people gets a little repetitive and the end was quite predictable. So take away a star. A thoroughly enjoyable read nevertheless
Don is a little different. He has Asperger's syndrome (though he himself fails to recognise this) and so can be rather blunt and socially awkward. Often missing basic human signals Don frequently misinterprets situations and thus finds himself with very few friends and no wife. Here comes in: The Wife Project. Don creates a questionnaire that he believes is a foolproof way of finding a wife. Although there are four answers to every question, only one of them is correct in Don's eyes and a woman must score 100% on the test before he'll consider taking her out on a date. But then there's Rosie, the complete opposite of what Don is looking for, but something keeps bringing him back to her.

I've heard so many good things about The Rosie Project ever since it was published so I couldn't wait to get my claws into this on my holiday away. This is the perfect holiday read for those who are looking for something that is light-hearted and funny but not wishy-washy. Whilst this book is about finding love, its not sappy in the slightest because it is written from the perspective of Don and he is the sort of man who listens to reason, and not his emotions (the few that he has). It's incredibly funny because you get to see right into the mind of Don, a bizarre man, who doesn't think like the rest of us. His reactions to social situations and general human interaction are incredibly amusing, as is his lack of comprehension. To the reader, it is obvious what is going on, but to Don it is not, so you yourself feel like you're a part of the novel, keeping something from Don. You know something that that doesn't and there's always something exciting about knowing something your favourite character does not. I grew very fond of him as the novel progressed and his character development over the course of the story is truly heart warming.

Rosie, too, is a character that you start to root for, and I really admired her for treating Don like an adult, like any other man, and didn’t change, adapt or explain anything to him, preferring to leave him to develop himself. There are a lot of unspoken thoughts and feelings in The Rosie Project, which are all glaringly obvious to the reader, so the more you read, the more desperate you are for all to be revealed and a real sense of momentum builds up. Despite this, I wouldn't say that the story is all that predictable in that Graeme Simsion still leaves the possibility for sudden plot twists and as Don is not your typical man, you can never be quite sure what he's going to do.

This isn’t the sort of romance that gives you butterflies, it’s not a whirlwind romance and it’s not love at first sight. This story develops a beautiful relationship between two people who are both a bit quirky and it is because of that you keep reading. It’s not full of grand gestures; this is about true love based on personalities, which I thought was very refreshing.

What’s more, the plot isn’t all about Don and Rosie, it’s much bigger than that. This pair work incredibly hard trying to solve the mystery of who Rosie’s father is – an experiment that leads them on many adventures, all of which are hilarious. The ‘romance’ is at once one of the main features and one of the side notes. It’s always there but rarely explicitly discussed.

In addition to Rosie and Don there are Don’s best friends, Gene and his wife Claudia. These supporting characters are essential to the plot line, slowly helping Don along without explicitly giving him a shove in the right direction. Claudia acts as a sort of mother figure to Don, offering him kind advice whenever he is in need. Gene is the opposite – he is a researcher in human attraction who’s trying to sleep with women from every single country. For research purposes of course. There are lots of characters in this book that have ‘clashing’ personalities, and yet somehow Graeme Simsion manages to mash them all together giving each individual character a different role in the novel.

All in all, this is a fantastic and hugely funny read. At the start of the novel, Don is the sort of man who has his weekly schedule planned out to the hour and throughout the novel we see huge changes taking place in life, all because of Rosie. This novel is quite as predictable as it may first seem Rosie’s spontaneity mixed with Don’s unpredictability make it difficult to really know what’s coming next. It’s rare to find a love story as gently and finely developed as this so I’d highly recommend this to anyone who’s bored of your stereotypical fictional romances.