TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 November 2013
The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon - Alexander McCall-Smith

This has to be one of my favourite times of the year. Autumn with all its vibrant colours, not too cold and just to add to all things good at this time of the year - the latest book in the No 1 Ladies Detective Series has made its annual appearance!

I wait (each year) with anticipation to catch up with Mma Ramotswe, Mma Makutsi and of course, Rra J L B Maketoni and whether the apprentices are behaving - oh and let's not forget that we've had Mma Makutsi marry Phuti Radiphuti, so of course we want to find out if they're still happily married. Well - I'm not going to tell you anything because I'd spoil the surprise for you.

I always get a feeling of warmth and love settle inside me when I read one of this series' books. It makes me long to visit the dusty roads of Botswana, to meet and talk to people who are gentle and kind.

If you looking for a book that moves at a pace - then I'm afraid you're going to have to settle for "African Time", and on the way just sit back and soak up the philosophy and slowness of true Africa.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 March 2014
Yet another delightful addition to the Number 1 Detective Agency series! Mma Makutsi's life develops in a very satisfactory way, Mma Romotswe discovers more about close friendships and is revealed as the best woman in Botswana, two mysteries are solved and justice is done, and Mr J L B Matekoni becomes a more modern husband. Charlie shows that he is at last growing up and, as ever, the children keep largely out of the way and prove to cause only minor inconvenience in the lives of the staff of the Number One Detective Agency. Africa comes alive under the pen of Alexander McCall Smith so that you can almost smell it and Botswana emerges as a good and thoroughly satisfactory place in which to live.
It is also a pleasure to read a Kindle book with NO typos and NO grammatical mistakes!
on 4 June 2017
Brilliant story , always informative of the Botswana country and it's ways. I can just imagine the setting every time I read one of the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books as his description to details is amazing. The storyline is fantastic, funny and warming all at the same time. Excellent !
on 21 August 2017
I love all the Mma Ramotswe books and am very much enjoying this so far. Many thanks.
on 19 August 2017
Bought as a gift. Excellent service from seller. All good! Thank you!
on 28 May 2017
I now have the series of these books and have enjoyed reading them all . They are light hearted to read and I must admit my geography of Botswana has improved 100% . The stories lead on from the last so it would be a good idea to start from book 1 . Ideal bedtime reading !
on 12 September 2014
A wonderful and gentle story with beautiful descriptions of Botswana and it's people. It was easy to become totally absorbed in the lives of Mma Ramotswe, Mma Makutsi and their families. Interesting crimes solved with common sense, observation and an understanding of the human spirit. I feel bereft now I've finished and am happy to know the next book in the series is about to be released.
on 1 October 2017
Mr MCall Smith is running out of ideas,still enjoyed it though.
on 15 December 2013
I enjoy these books very much. It is good to meet the characters again and learn a little more about Botswana. There is no mention of the Mothers' Union in this book but I would like to say that the Mothers' Union has members in Botswana and they do very good work in Africa and other parts of the world.
on 21 October 2017
Bought as a present, still waiting to borrow it!