Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

Jake Fisher never understood why his one true love Natalie had suddenly dumped him and married another man, but he promises to go along with Natalie's request to leave them both alone. Six years later, he comes across an obituary notice for Todd, Natalie's husband, and decides that lets him out of the promise. But sneaking along to the funeral, Jake is stunned to discover that, whoever this grieving widow is, she isn't Natalie. And so starts the hunt...

In college professor Jake, Harlan Coben has created a very likeable old-fashioned hero, a decent man caught up in extraordinary events and finding that all the things and people he thought he knew might not be what they seemed after all. With twists and turns right up to the end, interesting characters, a complex plot, exciting action sequences and, not least, loads of great humour, Coben is at the top of his game in this standalone thriller. The book is told in the first person from Jake's perspective and in the best tradition of mystery writing Coben plays fair with the reader - we get all the clues at the same time Jake does, but this reader at least only reached the finish line in a neck-and-neck gallop with Jake.

Yes, OK, there are some things I could criticise if I was being picky - sometimes 34-year-old Jake came over as a much older man (Coben showing through perhaps?), a bit of a continuity issue around the magically disappearing/reappearing iPhone, and the thriller writer's best friend, coincidence, did play a fairly big role. But I refuse to be picky - none of that spoiled the sheer enjoyment of this exciting, fast-paced and great fun page-turner. Highly recommended.

NB This review is of a proof copy provided by the publisher.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2013
I have been a loyal reader of Harlan Coben for many years & am the first to praise his many novels but if you haven’t read any yet please don't start with this. The character is unlikeable, whiny, dense and intensely irritating chasing someone he hasn't seen for over 6 years. The plot lacks authenticity & depth and I had to grit my teeth to finish this book. Try any of his earlier novels especially featuring Win & the likeable Myron.
This isn't the standard of this author. I hope his next book is considerably better.
on 22 May 2013
Myst say I normally love this authors writing, but this I found boring. It really was very slow and quite honestly the ending was easy to work out early on.
on 8 May 2013
I still hold Harlen Coben a great author and enjoy the Myron Bolitar stories and his early stand-alone mysteries. In Six Years though, we have the same plot as his earlier stories. It is a total repetition of a modern day event, where someone goes missing, and the survivor investigates the reasons, which stem back to past events and family ties. Six Years also meandered a bit too much and dragged perhaps fifty pages too many to be a tight novel. Whilst I agree that if you have a winning formula, you should stick to it, it should not be to the extent that you re-hash whole plots in their entirety.
on 1 June 2013
I always enjoy reading Harlan's books - but he doesn't write romance well - seemed stllted and the plot was not as complex as i have come to expect. Very dissappointed.
on 23 June 2013
I've read many Harlan Coben books, and I particularly enjoyed the first few in the Myron Bolitar series, mainly because of their engaging over-the-top characters. However I do feel that his recent books have been disappointing. This book started well but the plot became increasingly convoluted and ludicrous and the main character kept on extricating himself from a series of unbelievably tight situations. This book reminded me of the plot of Tell No One, i.e. Mr nice guy whose wife/girlfriend disappears but he never forgets her and finally finds her and that she's always loved him etc etc. A quick read but felt very let down.
on 22 March 2013
I have been a Harlan Coben fan for a long time and have read all of his books. When his Myron Bolitar series got too stupid to continue he tried to move on, but was forced back to the characters(caricatures?) and it was just ridiculous. I'm afraid to say the same is happening with his stand alone books. It is billed as 'stand alone' but might as well be called the latest in his 'Missing relative/Back from the dead' series. If you have read Tell No One or any of the others that just remixed the same ingredients you may think you are being shortchanged to have YET ANOTHER variation. If this is your first Harlan Coben and you can overlook some outrageous plot holes and coincidences you might enjoy it as a fast paced thriller. As always his 'smart mouth' dialogue is excellent, but some of the lines used in what you could call the more romantic scenes are so laughable they reminded me of things that would have been sub-titled on to silent movie heroines.

Specific to the audio version, Scott Brick does his usual solid professional job, no tricky accents for him to cope with, and only a slight reservation when he is called upon to voice female characters, but then that is true of almost all narrators when they have to do the opposite gender.

I really hope Coben finds a way back. His Mickey Bolitar books might be okay for kids or fans of Scooby Doo, but something original for grown ups would be nice.
on 3 June 2014
I really liked this a lot. I waited over a year for it to be affordable since I was out of a job...then looked at some reviews after I bought it from my wishlist at long last and there were some horrible reviews about it. I thought perhaps I'd made an horrendous purchase.
However, I loved it. Reviewers said it was really awful from the author. I have 6 others by him and although I'm not a great fan of the Bolitar series I haven't read any by him in an age so perhaps I've forgotten how he usually writes...I just don't really understand why so many seemed to hate it. Made me wonder if I was reading the same book. (Though, bear in mind, I waited a long time to read Gone Girl too and the reviews were stellar yet I hated it) !!
I really liked Jake and also his friends-he knew nice people. My only gripe was I started to get a little annoyed by the constant asides he used as he told us his story but as soon as I'd made a note about it around halfway in it seemed to stop which was good.
I loved the scone description and totally agreed-I think they're revolting as well so I had to laugh. I thought the drafts mention near the end was a stroke of genius as well. Very clever. I was totally engrossed and found it a very enjoyable read indeed and I'd recommend it to anyone for sure.
I spotted a couple of apostrophe mistakes but that was it which was wonderful.
on 14 May 2013
I confess to feeling a little let down by this tale. The last thing I expected was an over blown love story that doesn't quite ring true...but that's what I got. Very sorry...but this just doesn't do it for me. Back to form please.
on 15 May 2013
Don't get me wrong, I've been reading Harlan Coben for years now and enjoyed them all. Except for this one.

You know what this book feels like? It feels like something he wrote when he was a university student, and has dug out to fill in a gap in his publishing schedule. Or something like that. The plot doesn't flow, it drips. The plot is totally unbelievable. When you have to describe events in fractions of a second to explain outcomes there is something very wrong. And some of the characterisation just sucks.

Not just the worst Coben, this is the second-worst book I have ever read!

Think about this Harlan!

I've come back to this review 4 months on to see if I was being fair. Other than adding this paragraph, I haven't changed a word.