on 3 June 2014
I really liked this a lot. I waited over a year for it to be affordable since I was out of a job...then looked at some reviews after I bought it from my wishlist at long last and there were some horrible reviews about it. I thought perhaps I'd made an horrendous purchase.
However, I loved it. Reviewers said it was really awful from the author. I have 6 others by him and although I'm not a great fan of the Bolitar series I haven't read any by him in an age so perhaps I've forgotten how he usually writes...I just don't really understand why so many seemed to hate it. Made me wonder if I was reading the same book. (Though, bear in mind, I waited a long time to read Gone Girl too and the reviews were stellar yet I hated it) !!
I really liked Jake and also his friends-he knew nice people. My only gripe was I started to get a little annoyed by the constant asides he used as he told us his story but as soon as I'd made a note about it around halfway in it seemed to stop which was good.
I loved the scone description and totally agreed-I think they're revolting as well so I had to laugh. I thought the drafts mention near the end was a stroke of genius as well. Very clever. I was totally engrossed and found it a very enjoyable read indeed and I'd recommend it to anyone for sure.
I spotted a couple of apostrophe mistakes but that was it which was wonderful.
on 6 January 2015
There is no doubt that this offering from Coben is a fast-paced, sometimes exciting thriller with much to commend about it. It tells the story of a college professor and his attempts to track down a lost love who walked out on him six years previously and married someone else on what was apparently a spur of the moment decision. As the search deepens, a much wider conspiracy presents itself as the protagonist finds himself submerged into a world of secrets, conspiracy and the American mob.

As I said, there is much to commend. The action flows well, starting slowly and then building up gradually into an exciting crescendo of an ending. The way in which Coben describes the feelings of lost love are both touching and realistic. The ending is satisfying and makes sense.

There were however flaws for me which I found surprising to encounter in a Coben novel. There are far too many coincidences and poetic-license. While the important scenes are just that, they often seem linked together in a rushed and sometimes forced way. And most irritating of all was the voice of the protagonist. I am never a true fan of novels told in the first person and this novel is a prime example of why that is. Coben seems to go to extremes to show the `laddier' side of the professor with annoying, small quips and asides to the reader. It jars against the story and can be quite distracting. Although the story was exciting and I wanted to find out what happened in each new chapter, I found myself caring less and less about whether he succeeded in solving the mystery or not for his own sake. I wanted to know how the story ends but I was not exactly rooting for the professor by about two thirds through.

That said, it is a good story, it is full of mini-cliff-hangers which stop you from going to sleep at a reasonable time and therefore is worth the purchase.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 April 2013
With "Six Years" Harlan Coben has hit top form again in the mystery stakes from my point of view. Ok, as some other reviewers have mentioned, yes, the standard Coben elements are there - missing loved one, protagonist determined to find the truth no matter what the cost, mysterious figures hovering in the background doing mysterious things, no-one can be trusted and its all a big gigantic brain drain. Our hero in this particular novel is Jake Sanders, in love with Natalie, looking forward to a life together when suddenly she ends their relationship and marries another man. Extracting a promise from Jake that he will "leave her alone" she heads off into a new life with her husband. Fast forward six years, and Jake notices an obituary on the internet..that of Natalie's husband. Except this mans wife is not Natalie....And off we go. Determined to find her, Jake finds himself in all kinds of trouble, again as usual for Mr Coben but here is the thing...like his early novels its not that easy to work out where this is all going. The twists in the tale are perfectly placed, the pacing is just right in order to read this in nice large chunks (and occasionally long into the night as I did) and for the first time in a few books, I didnt get the solution right. Terrific. I much prefer to be wrong! If you are already a Coben fan I think you will be pleased with this book, if this is your first then actually its a pretty good place to start. Just a quick note: I have seen some rumblings that perhaps Mr Coben abandoned Myron Bolitar because the novels were going downhill and there was nowhere to go with them - I disagree. I loved each and every one of Myron's adventures and if Mr Coben were to write another ten of them it still wouldnt be enough for me - I mention this only because if you havent yet read a Harlan Coben novel, and are more a fan of "series" novels than "standalone" you might want to check out "Deal Breaker". I might even have a reread myself.
on 10 February 2017
Not Myron this time so wasn't sure how this book would be. But I have to admit that it's the first book in quite a while that I had difficulty putting down. I really had no idea where the plot would go almost until the end. But the journey was excellent. Nothing was obvious (at least to me) and Mr Coben didn't make it easy for me. Bravo.
on 19 December 2014
I did enjoy this fast-paced tale, which was filled with mystery, suspense and humour. It was somewhat similar to other books from this author, but it was good all the same.

The characters were realistic and bounced from all angles within the story, and although narrated in the first person, we still had the sense of others too.

I don't give spoilers but will say that for those who love a good mystery, coupled with murder and a sense of - where did that come from? - this is for you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 April 2014
Harlan Coben can do a whole lot better but as it goes this isn't a bad book, just a humdrum one. To be fair it is a page turner, you really do want to know what happens next but in the process I found myself skipping vapid sections of ho hum prose that neither helped enhance the characterisations or furthered the plot. This is an easy read, a quick read, you never feel that you are wasting any of your valuable time in reading it but ultimately by the end you will move on to your next novel without worrying too much about this one. This is the sort of book the 3 star rating was made for. I'm not sure if that is any sort of endorsement or not.
on 21 June 2014
Not read anything by this author before, but if you like storylines about obsesive love - then this is for you! I started out interested, but the book was too long and frankly I don't believe anyone can possibly truly love in the real sense of the word - someone to whom there is no actual day to day atattchment or involvement with! That frankly is an adolescent idea. So up to a point I went with the storyline, but after three quarters of the way through I just grew bored and felt life is too short to continue with this ridiculous theme - so I put it away and read something else! But.... if and it's a big if, you like obsessive storylines or the idea that someone is out to get you type of book - then this is for you!
on 9 March 2017
I loved the suspense and, as this is the first time that I have read something by this author, I will have to read more by him.
on 15 February 2014
Six years ago Jake Fisher saw the love of his life marry another man. And his former lover made him promise to leave the happy couple alone. For six years Fisher kept his promise. Then, Fisher sees the man's obituary, and suddenly that promise does not seem so binding anymore.

The book is the rollercoaster story of Jake Fisher's journey to find that woman, and his trials and tribulations along the way.

It's classic Coben in that you get a non-stop blur of action, with the story fairly rattling along.

It's also classic Coben in that our hero discovers things around him are not what they seem.

And finally, it's classic Coben because it seems so familiar. The plot is familiar. The characters are familiar. The conclusion seems familiar. This is not to say it's a bad book; it's just not new, or fresh, and has the slightly odd whiff of recycled, old material.

So good story, good read, but Coben fans with a critical eye may well feel they have been here before.
on 3 December 2017
Kept me reading with fluent story-telling, good tale which seemed to be a bit of a let down right at the end. I don't want to go into detail because it'll spoil the ending, but a bit convoluted and unnecessarily complicated.