on 6 November 2013
I ordered six of these LED lamps, as replacements for 50W halogens, to illuminate a kitchen area. The lamps appear well made, all six have equal brightness and colour temperature, suggesting good quality control. However, as halogen replacements I'm a little disappointed with these for the following reasons:

First, they're not by any means as bright as the 50W halogens that they replaced in my room. As I'm using six of these in a relatively small area, the difference is very noticeable. Illuminated surfaces are at least 30% darker in my case. This lamp is perhaps more suited to directional light applications than to a general space lighting one like mine.

Second, the lamps are 54mm long; 4mm longer than typical halogen GU10s. In my case they're installed in recessed ceiling fittings that accommodate 50mm lamps. These LEDs now protrude a couple of millimetres below the fitting.

Third, the metal bezel around the lamp is finished with high gloss white paint which makes it stand out a bit. With my white ceilings and off-white fittings it's just about acceptable, but if you've coloured fittings or fittings with a metal finish where the lamp is visible then it would be advisable to get just one of these initially to see if you can live with their appearance.
Although there are more bulbs for a GU10 fitting available than packets of detergent in a supermarket, this one offers a particularly good (and rare) combination: a very warm light (right down at 2700K - it's pretty hard to find another GU10 that is under 3000K) along with a broad beam (36 degrees) which makes it suitable for spotlight high up that are being used to light a wide spread of a room.

Plus the Philips brand name is a bonus, reassuring for something that is meant to last a decade - which is such a long time you really have to take it on trust rather than being able to check how reviewers have done with this particular model and manufacturing batch.
on 23 October 2013
Philips GU10 5-50 Watt/ 2700 K LED Corepro Spotlight they are as near to 50wts as you'll get, good colour, great price but they have 10, 000 hours life on the box, not as it states 20, 000. They are the same size as a 50w gu10 so will fit where you've have the conventional bulbs
on 5 October 2013
Both my wife and I used to work for Philips Lighting and know the extend they go to design and test their lighting products. They consider safety, ease of use and performance to specification as a minimum requirement, not a bonus. We no longer work for that company but I would be hard pushed to settle with less than a Philips Lighting product.

We have moved into our new home recently which had almost 100 halogen spots in the ceilings around the house and thus are replacing them room by room to reduce our energy costs. These 5W replacements are superb! They fit our existing fittings perfectly and the lighting colour matches better than expected (we like and wanted warm white light). Just be careful to note that these are are not designed for dimming.

Perhaps I am still biased because I used to work the company that sell these but I cannot praise these products enough!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At it's current price in the Amazon catalogue (£11 07/13) this is a good buy. It produces a very good soft light that would make it suitable for uplighters or down-lighters where you want a softer light as opposed to a bright white (4000k). It feels well made and robust, in addition Philips is a good name in lighting. Will it last 20000 hours? Who knows? The lifetime rating is a best guestimate based on the extrapolation of lab results. However, if it did, it works out at around 50p a year plus the energy saving - compared to a mercury long life, which is either 9W or 11W for the equivalent incandescence. There's also an environmental benefit in that in 20 years time this low energy bulb doesn't contain mercury and can be safely disposed of.
on 25 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This high quality Phillips LEDspot lightbulb gives very good light with a 90% saving of energy (5W compared to a 50W halogen equivalent). It has a 10-year lifespan, based on theoretical usage of 4 hours per day, 7 days a week. It is mercury free and has a low carbon footprint.

In the long run LED bulbs are probably going to save you money, but for a while now the steep price has meant shoppers have had to weigh up the initial outlay of money against this longer-term benefit. It's really good to see the actual sale prices of these bulbs dropping well below the RRP, and there really doesn't seem to be much of a reason any more to put off switching to them.
on 13 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not a light snob, and never have been. I just like my lights to come on when needed and for them to offer illumination as appropriate.
However, I've had a real conversion to understanding it all more with the arrival of this replacement bulb. There is something truly beautiful about the light this affords, and I never thought I'd ever say that!

I found the bulb very easy to fit, and in good neat packaging. The spotlight gives a good beam but also a nice wider glow. I have it pointed in my kitchen to my main worksurface, and it's fab.

I'm going to replace my other bulbs over time and look forward to many years of lovely light.
VINE VOICEon 7 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After a period of significant doubts about LED lights, we sampled this product and a couple of others.

My doubts were dispelled "at the flick of a switch" as the light was immediate, bright and colour neutral (which is what I wanted).

Writing the review some months late allows me to compare the lighting to halogens which we used before. These burned out within months yet the new LED lamps are unfaltering, bright and excellent.

Highly Recommended
on 17 June 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is adirect replacemt for an incandescent GU10 50W bulb and has the warm-light effect of the original. At 5w this bulb should be making 90% energy savings. Fitting is a breeze as it fits the existing socket in exactly the same way as an original GU10 bulb.

Comparing this with the 4000K bright white LED (6W) this bulb is a better direct replacement as it has more warmth for the rest of the kitchen.

Impressive energy savings and exceedingly long quoted life make this an ideal replacement for the more traditional incandescent GU10 bulb.
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have long been fed up of the cost of replacing the spotlights in my kitchen. I was even considering changing the light fitting so that I wouldn't have to keep replacing them! You can, then, imagine my joy at the idea of such a long-lasting bulb. Hoorah for a bulb that claims to last 20,000 hours. I have, of course, been unable to test the life length of the bulb, so instead I shall tell you other notable points.

The bulb is packaged well, and the packaging is relatively easily removed. The spotlight goes into the fitting very easily, and at literally the flick of a switch the light is fully on. It does not gradually get up to maximum light, but simply comes on at full power. The light is not glaringly bright, and has a nice warm note to it, whilst still providing enough lighting to do food preparation.

If the bulb lasts as long as has been reported, then I will be a very happy woman. I have no way of predicting the future, but if the bulb really lasts that long then it is good to think of a bit less electricity being used. If we all did this, then I am sure it would be a step in the right direction, and perhaps a little money saved too!