TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 June 2014
Several people on here have experienced problems with this battery pack being unable to charge after a few months. I have one to use with my Oregon 600 and have just seen the same problem - battery dead and not charging - less than 6 months after buying it. However, the problem isn't the battery pack...

To put it bluntly, the charging circuits in Garmin's GPS receivers are rubbish. First, they charge the two cells in series rather than individually - this is a big no-no. All decent NiMH chargers charge each cell on its own, monitoring its voltage and temperature so each cell gets the right amount of charge - the Garmin GPS doesn't do this, so will kill the cells eventually anyway.

Furthermore, Garmin's chargers will not even attempt to recharge a battery once the charge has dropped below a certain level - I found this out the hard way when the battery in my £900 Garmin aviation GPS died. If the batteries in your GPS are close to flat, and you then stick it in a drawer for a couple of months, the remaining charge is insufficient for the GPS to decide to charge them, and you are left with a GPS refusing to charge what is actually a perfectly functional battery pack.

If you own a decent standalone charger for NiMH AA batteries, this is easily fixed - you can charge the pack one cell at a time by sticking one side of it into your charger, charging, and then flipping the pack through 180 degrees and repeating.

The trouble is that, if you are having to do this anyway to look after the cells, the battery pack is pretty pointless - the only advantage it has over standard rechargeables is the ability to charge up via USB in the GPS itself, and as above, this will shorten the life of the batteries anyway due to the poorly designed charging system.

Until Garmin incorporate a decent charger into the GPS receivers, this product is more trouble than it's worth - it's a shame, but don't waste your money.
58 people found this helpful
|1313 Comments|Report abuse
on 4 December 2013
After same use I find I can only get 11 hours out of this battery pack, not the 16 hours claimed for my Oregon GPSr. Buying a set of 4 Sanyo Black AA Eneloop XX Batteries for 6 pounds less is far better value, you get twice as many batteries and more time out of each pair than the Garmin NiMH.
9 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2014
The batteries I received would not hold a charge. Upon inspection I found that they bore a date stamp '03/2013' although whether this is an expiry date or not I have no way of knowing. Unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to try to charge these until after the returns expiry date. My fault, but I don't order thinks with the intention of returning them. The fact remains that the batteries were useless.
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 June 2016
I have stopped using tis battery, as it does not hold its charge compared to normal Ni-Mh batteries, because of the way it is designed it cant be charged in a normal Ni-Mh battery charger, it has to be charged in the Garmin GPS, and that takes for ever. I shall not be buying any more of these batteries, cheaper to by Sanyo Enalope?
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 September 2016
Very good, it came ready charged and will be used shortly. The one supplied with the Garmin unit lasted 2 years but now will only charge to 75% which is a pity. It will be interesting to see for how long this unit will charge to 100%.
on 17 April 2016
Does the job well. What I have noticed is that the battery indicator drops to 2 bars (from 4) fairly quickly, but then stays there for ages. I'm not sure precisely how long they are lasting, but I can normally get two trips done before recharging. I have been caught out once, but then I always carry a pair of standard lithium AA batteries for just such an eventuality. I've only had this for three months, but already I would have spent more on batteries than this rechargeable pack cost me.
on 24 May 2014
As with another reviewer, simply did not charge. Since I only tried 5 months after buying, I cannot do much about it, but this simply should not happen. Very bad product, stay clear.
8 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2018
A Genuine Garmin battery. Works well and as described.
on 5 June 2015
This delivers the 16 hours runtime that it promised. Using AA alkaline batteries is a good standby but you get through them pretty quickly and a few hours after starting the GPS you get the warning that it will turn off the backlight and tones. The GPS now runs for a couple of days on a single charge, I would recommend the battery pack.
on 1 January 2018