Customer reviews

Great album
on 20 January 2015
excellent
on 3 November 2003
After a string of great albums (particularly 'Seamonsters'), The Wedding Present leave us with their poppiest effort. Maybe the impending split had released some tension but this album shows the band in lighthearted mood. Short, punchy songs coupled with Gedge's trademark choppy guitar technique make for a great listen. And it's not too long - the downfall of many an album these days. If you like the Wedding Present but lost interest after 'Seamonsters' then get this - it will restore your faith. If you don't like the Wedding Present but like great guitar music, order this and 'Seamonsters' and you will not regret it.
on 13 May 2005
Good question, as "Watusi" is a fantastic Weddoes album. But then so "Saturnalia". Perhaps not as immediate as their earlier stuff, this finds Gedge in typical broken hearted form. The lyrics are perhaps more adult - "I like watching you when you come" - but the songs are trademark WP. From the jangly pop of "Montreal" to the grunge fuzz guitar squall of "Skin Diving" this is a must have. Stick with it, give it a few goes, and it will reveal its treasures. Fantastic!!!!
4 people found this helpful
on 23 December 2003
A masterpiece! To me, not only is Saturnalia David Gedge's finest hour but probably the greatest album of all time! For die hard Weddoes fans like myself Saturnalia runs like a greatest hits album, combining all aspects of the preceding four albums 'proper'. From the opening 'ping' of track one 'Venus' thru to the dying embers of the closing track '50's' fading into nothingness(without a doubt the finest fade-out in recording history) it oozes quality with ten other 'jems' inbetween. More highlights include: the dreamy guitar of 'Dreamworld' DLG's vocal on 'Snake Eyes' and 'Hula Doll'/'Big Boots' are just brilliant! Its fitting that this should be the final TWP album before the birth of Cinerama. So the boy Gedge certainly knows how to go out in style after an amazing twelve years or so...and on to the next best project...well you'll just have to go out and get em' boy!
6 people found this helpful
on 11 August 2004
I'm afraid I'm not as enthused by the previous reviewers of this, The Wedding Presents last album.
Whilst this album is in no way money wasted, I think we're all in a dream world if this is considered TWP's finest hour, to me it's not close to any of the big 3, George Best, Bizarro and Seamonsters.
In parts the ablum sounds like 90's indie popsters Lush, the jangly guitars that are all over the album aren't the sound I like and the soft Gedge voice in 2,3,Go I find upsetting.
The highlights of the album; although still with female backing vocals, that give the tracks a "Primitives" feel are Montreal and Kansas and that I've no idea what Gedge is on about is still fun. Snake eyes takes us back to TWP of old, but only briefly.
I've recently compiled a best of TWP, I'm sad to say that none of the songs on this album have made the 11 I chose.
11 people found this helpful