Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 23 April 2013
I bought this because I'm 'into' family history, but was disappointed as there are far better 'genes' books out there. The writing is very basic and It reads like an essay produced by a 14-year old (apologies if the author is 14, if she is that would explain it and its not so bad then!). The diction made it hard work as it was irritating and the 'twist' not really worth waiting for. The heroine is pretty shallow. Perhaps I've got it wrong and this is meant for the teen market, although I don't believe that age group is generally interested in genealogy!
on 28 May 2013
This story had great promise. What a pity then, that the style and grammar got in its way. It was clunky, badly phrased and the end had no tension. In fact, it became woefully contrived and obvious. A good proof reader was needed to point this out but I doubt it had even seen one. I've seen better style from a 14 year old...very disappointing.
on 15 October 2013
If the book had been written in 1957 then I could have understood the old fashioned waiting for the postman research but heading to the GRO in a taxi was unreal. Half way through the book the author debates if they need a computer and should invest in a mobile phone the book is set in 2002! Quickly read, nothing learnt and easily forgotten.
on 10 August 2013
The story is actually quite good, but the writing style is poor in my view and the proof-reading is awful.

I had the Kindle edition and, as a cheap read, it was 'something to read' but I can't say much better than that...
on 16 June 2016
I have given this book 3* because I liked the story but, unfortunately I couldn't give it more as it was totally let down by the telling and the editing/proof reading.
The author had a good idea but got so bogged down with detail it made it boring. Need to work on the execution of the story.
on 17 June 2013
I agree with a previous reviewer! 'A good story ruined in the telling'. The grammar was extremely poor and it did indeed seem as if it had been written by a poor GCSE student. In my opinion the best way to describe it would be as: 'Blyton for adults....' 'She got up, brushed her teeth, went downstairs' I was waiting for: 'lashings of cornflakes!'. Ridiculous book! I will certainly be avoiding this author in the future!!
on 17 November 2013
This was chosen because it has a Family History theme. However the story detail and frame were disappointing.
There are also many distracting typo errors, which I found distracting.
on 27 July 2013
ok I will agree the grammar is terrible there are lots of words missing or spelt wrong for example what on earth is jacussi, I think she meant Jacuzzi do they not have spelling and grammar check, but after saying that the story itself I found to be very good it kept me entertained although it was a short book xx
on 26 December 2013
I am glad that this was a borrowed book and I didn't actually pay for it. No depth in the characters, conversations awful, plot pathetic and many typos.
on 22 November 2014
As a Family History researcher, I found the speed of gathering info unrealistic - Ms Rawlings couldn't wait to get to the end. Unbelievably resolution apart from her poor deceased 'father'.