Customer reviews

on 3 November 2014
A thoroughly informative book.
on 26 August 2013
I started reading this book with absolutely no idea what to expect. Obviously, the subject matter is an enticing one. It's something that happens to most of us and I suppose there's that mildly narcissistic thing of 'how does our own experience compare?' It's also - let's be honest here, a potentially titillating hot topic. What I didn't expect was the vast (and commendable) amount of research Ms Monro has put into the book. There are some really interesting pieces of social history, yet the tone is chatty, never preachy or showy-offy. What is perhaps most impressive about Losing It is the genuine warmth Ms Monro has for her interviewees, who manage to fascinate throughout without ever being exploited. The book also poses the question 'what is losing your virginity?' If you thought you knew, this book might change your mind.
on 30 April 2014
Be aware that this book is identical to another by the same author called "The First Time. True Tales of Virginity Lost & Found" , ISBN No. 978-184831240-1.

The tales in the book are very good, each persons story being told well but we thought it was a continuation of the above paperback. It isn't. Just be aware but enjoy.
on 4 April 2013
This fascinating book on a rarely talked about subject makes interesting and occasionally jaw dropping reading. It is also funny and sad. Gave it to several friends last Christmas and they all loved it.
on 2 September 2015
I read it in two sittings as it is short and easy to read. Some of the tales told by the interviewees are interesting, funny or whatever, but I would have liked more on the actual subject of virginity. The author does touch on it a little, but I thought there were gaps. For instance, what about the girls who are happy to have anal sex but not vaginal sex, thus preserving their virginity for their husbands? I have heard this is common place with Muslim women, and Mormons and others, and is an interesting idea, but it wasn't mentioned.

Overall the book was interesting, but not fabulous. I'll keep it and look at it again but I don't think I can give it more than three stars as it is basically a blog, where most of the stuff is written by others. I think it was a fantastic idea, but it didn't quite work for me. There could have been a lot more depth.
on 12 August 2014
Hadnt read it all yet, so far, bit funny!