on 3 February 2014
I know there are some bad reviews of this, but I dont know what the hell they are going on about. I have been using it constantly for 12 hours, and the plug isnt even that how.

yes its a 5v 2000ma power TO THE HUB. Using TP1 and TP2 I can confirm that booted displaying the xmbc menu, with all the below item connected, it still stuppys 4.96 v to the rpi. under load I only saw it drop to 4.92v. With the rpi idle (shutdown) it supplies 5.20v. Tolerance is 4.75v to 5.25v, so this powered hub ticks all the boxes. Please note for these tests I am using a thick 1mtr blackberry cable.
No it doesn't include a cable for the rpi.
I booted my rpi b and my wireless keyboard/mouse and wifi adapter and bluetooth adapter and usb stick (in and out alot loading apps) and obv the rpi. I have been streaming iplayer on xmbc for a couple hour, no bother or glitches.

The usb connections are tight, do not force them as i do think thats how so many ppl said it broke quick.... just be firm and slow.

It is a very nice bit of cheap kit. and I say cheap not because it feels cheap, but for the price, you can hardly expect the best quality in the world.
on 8 January 2015
Works perfect for me. One power supply to the hub then a lead from the hub to the raspberry pi's micro USB power socket to power it. Then a lead from one of the pi's normal USB ports to the hub so it can see the other USB devices you plug into the hub.
(I have a wireless card and a USB hard drive connected)
on 8 April 2016
This item comes very well packaged in a very nice presentation box. My initial thoughts were that the build quality feels just slightly cheap and plasticky, with the supplied stand seeming to be an afterthought. The width of the stand is quite small and, as I expected, with half a dozen USB cables plugged into the device, the stand does little to maintain the hub in position. I've opted to remove the stand completely.

I've recently moved house and my raspberry pi now lives in a room with limited electricity supply sockets so I bought this on the recommendation of the reviews which stated that the hub's power supply is sufficient to power the pi itself. This is absolutely true. The hub arrived before I'd unpacked the Raspberry Pi and in the mean time I used the hub to charge my phone. However, don't expect wonders, it won't charge the phone and power the pi simultaneously, this is not an AC supply to USB power socket converter, it is a powered USB hub for connecting multiple devices to one USB socket on a computer.

In terms of that functionality it works well. It is supplied with a USB A to USB B cable (the sort commonly used to connect printers). The B end connects to the hub, while the A end connects to the destination device. This avoids any labelling needs for "input" and "output" on the hub. The connections are simple and fast and overall a good product for the user.
on 2 March 2014
Looks and feels like a professional bit of kit. Bags of power - 3A at 5Vdc.
I power the Pi from it as well as the other peripherals - Wi-Fi dongle, wireless receiver for the keyboard and mouse(or wired keyboard and mouse). All works flawlessly. Thoroughly recommended.
on 18 September 2015
This has been the difference between my Raspberry Pi staying an electronic toy that I bring out when I'm bored, and turning it into a useful piece of household electronics.
The Pi's weakness was always limited access to storage, and the sheer fiddle of attaching a monitor, keyboad and mouse. With the powered hub (and a wifi keyboard) switching USB sticks in and out is easy( I even had the Pi talking to a 1TB portable HD for a short while).
I've stopped messing about with my original Pi, and turned it into a household webserver (even more useful than I thought it would be).
If you want to build something that actually works with your Pi, you probably need one of these.
Of course, once your first Pi is actually working for a living;- you'll probably need a second Pi.
I did.
on 24 April 2014
I used it to connect three hard drives (plus a remote control, keyboard etc.) to my Pi but things started to randomly stop working and the drives would keep remounting or disappear completely. Sometimes unplugging the hub from the pi and power supply and then reconnecting them fixed it for a while, but I couldn't trust that everything world still be working when I went back to it. Suspecting the hub, I replaced it with a D-Link 4 port powered hub and everything has been stable ever since.
on 14 August 2014
This is a nicely made hub with a standard USB B uplink, red LED and a little stand. It came with a handy short USB cable too.

The unit I received initially was defective and would randomly turn itself off and on again when in use. I returned it and got a replacement quick as a flash and the new one works fine. I bought it for a Raspberry Pi but ultimately swapped it out for a cheaper inline splitter type hub I got from eBay. It's quite nicely made although the LED is rather bright. I found in some cases the USB sockets were too close together but it has 7 and I didn't need them all so this worked out OK. In all cases except for powering the Pi, I found it worked just as well without the PSU. But it's handy to have the PSU just in case.
VINE VOICEon 14 February 2015
The hub worked well with my Rasp Pi B, I used it to take the WiFi receiver, USB memory and a 500gb 2.5" hard drive. There was a problem though, it worked so well my wife fell in love with it's neat upright 7 port sockets and it disappeared upstairs into her office for connection to her laptop :( she is happily now using it daily with numerous USB devices.

So, great with the RP and also good to make wives happy ...
on 2 October 2015
I am currently using it with a non-Pi desktop computer to connect a (powered) printer and scanner. The two high power charging ports are also very useful as I have several devices that need charging that way. I scrapped a much older hub as it appeared to have backfeed problems, which this does not. The hub and its power supply plug are both compact, the simple stand is good, it all works well and was good value.
on 31 December 2014
The power supply to the hub was defective, so it didn't work. As the power supply was generating heat (and suspiciously, a bit too much heat) and a user guide wasn't supplied, it wasn't clear what the expected operating conditions were. The red LED would not light when the power supply alone was connected, but it would light when the USB cable was connected to the Pi (but this is because it's drawing power from the Pi in the way any other unpowered USB device would). Through a process of elimination and testing, it was clear the power supply was defective. If you do purchase it, I think you should keep an eye on the performance (and due to the heat produced, perhaps safety) of the power supply because I didn't get a great deal of confidence from my experience with this one.