Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 June 2015
Awesome !!!!
on 26 May 2017
Iv followed these for years anotha mint cd
on 5 June 2013
Pretty Maids at their very best - could they relive their finest moments? You bet they could...They blew the past out of the water with this album. "Mother of all lies" is as awesome as they have ever been. I went through the album and rated each track as I went along - nothing less than 5 stars all the way down the line. If I had to be picky about anything, it is that the lyrics are deeply cynical about modern life. I agree with them, but I would perhaps have liked to be picked up by PM and taken away from the crap of modern life. Having said that, we live in a deeply disturbing world, so maybe they were right to address the hell of our own making.

I hear a lot of very early Def Leppard in this album too. That is no sleight as "Pyromania" still hits me as one of the best rock albums of all time. By the time they conclude the album with "Wasted", I hear tones of Europe and it is so delicious I could eat it.

Pretty Maids have blown me away with this album - I just want to SEE them now! BUY, BUY, BUY!
on 19 April 2013
After their huge "Pandemonium" release in 2010, these Danish melodic metal legends are back with another great effort. "Motherland" is titled Pretty Maids brand new album and be sure that will rock your world. I have to say that I'm a big fan of this band; every inch of their album has a special place in my heart and I was looking forward to this new one anxiously.

Pretty Maids is one of those acts that you can't go wrong with their releases. I don't think that the Maids have ever released a bad album except maybe the "Planet Panic" effort that was a bit 'different' regarding to their previous works. With their last one, "Pandemonium", Pretty Maids took a heavier approach without loosing any of the band's melodic elements of the earlier days. Since their creation, Pretty Maids always combined perfectly the heavy sound with the big AOR melodies, harmonies and catchy choruses. The voice of Ronnie Atkins is the band's trademark!! This guy can sing from soulful ballads to some in-your-face heavy songs and is rightly considered one of the best hard rock shouters over the last three decades!! On January, this year, the first single, "Mother Of All Lies", was out and left me hungry for more.

As I said above, the first single, "Mother Of All Lies" impressed me from the first listening and left me hungry for more Pretty Maids!!! It has a heavy in-your-face riff, great and melodic keys and, most of all, a 'clever' hook and a catchy chorus line; classic Maids tune! "To Fool A Nation" starts with a mid-tempo rhythm and explodes to a stunning hard hittin' anthem with Atkins powerful performances. "Iceman" is movin' to "Pandemonium" heavier paths while "Sad To See You Suffer" grabs you from the first notes and makes you push the repeat button again and again!! Yes, it's the typical melodic hard rock anthems that made Pretty Maids famous. The melody, the harmony, the incredible catchy chorus, the guitars, the vocals...everything flows perfectly in this amazing tune!!! Next comes-up "Hooligan". A really interesting and aggressive song with a bombastic in-your-face chorus and some loud bang-gang vocals!! "Infinity" is a nice mid-tempo and in "Why So Serious" we have again some modern melodic metal elements that fits perfectly!! "Motherland" is probably the heaviest track in this new album! The guitar sound is heavy and furious and Atkins' voice fill the tune with his powerful and aggressive performance!! "I See Ghosts" rocks hard while in "Bullet For You" we have a brilliant and extremely melodic rocker with a terrific guitar solo!! The two tracks that close the album are both very good.

Closing, I have to say that Pretty Maids impressed me for one more time!!! This is a true genius record. It has everything that a die hard of this band could ask for; huge melodies, a 'fat' guitar sound, solid production, powerful and emotional performances by a very charismatic singer and some extremely catchy tunes!!! So, this is a MUST have melodic metal album that you have to check it out! For sure, it will end-up high in this year's top list!!!!!! Impressive!!!!!
(originally written for heavy paradise )
on 11 November 2016
I buy quite a lot of music each month which has resulted in a vast music collection. I haven't really paid much attention to Pretty Maids since their Future World opus many years ago, apart from the odd mp3 purchase, such as Little drops of heaven. As an Amazon prime member I had the chance to listen to this album free, having read many favourable reviews. To be honest I have been blown away by the album, it is one of the best albums I have purchased for many a year. It is quite heavy but at the same time beautifully melodic. The musicianship and production are flawless and the flow of the album is superb, songs seem to fit seamlessly with no weak or redundant tracks. I feel this could well be the bands best album as I have now listened and purchased a few others by the band!
I travel quite a distance to work and listen to this at least twice a day and it hasn't been off my car cd player for two months now and I cant say that about too many musical purchases over the last few years, other than 7 by Dare. Phenomenal cd in every respect!
on 13 April 2013
I was recommended this album by a trusted friend. Hadn't heard much from Pretty Maids since the two 1980's albums in my collection.
I took the plunge and my word what a cracking album this is, absolutely superb.
I removed my previous favourite album from the CD player (Monster Philosophy by D-A-D) and replaced it with "Motherland" which has remained there ever since.
This album is diverse, musical, heavy and performed with passion.
If you like a bit of Europe mixed with a bit of Saxon and Accept you will love this, superb album. I sure wish this sort of quality album lasted a bit longer it is just the best album of 2013 for me, so far.
Miss it at your chagrin.
10/10
on 1 June 2013
I am not even going to compare this album to anything that has gone before. What I will say is from the second I put it on, I was utterly blown away. That gorgeous PM sound as strong as ever, some inspired song writing, melodies to stir and rock you and a depth of lyricism to get you reaching for the pamphlet. I'm still, on the tenth time of playing it, discovering something else I love about it. It is everything a PM fan can ever want. From start to finish.
on 19 April 2013
Since Pretty Maids made Future World I've been waiting for them
to make a 5 Star album, and finally I think they done it.
Most of the tracks (10 out of 13) get 5 stars from me, with The Iceman being my favourite track.
Pretty Maids have done well to combine a few styles onto this album, from Melodic
Ballads to the Melodic Metal, with some epic sounds, and it has worked.
on 13 June 2013
I have been a big fan of the pretty maids and always look forward to a new album and for me once again the album they have created is fantastic. hard hitting songs like mother of all lies to songs filled with a melody that you just cant get out of your head such as the song i'd take a bullet for you. songs for every mood.
loving the album.
on 5 August 2013
Pretty Maids have done it again. Following their previous masterpiece "pandemonium", they have come up with another winner. I will admit it took me 3 spins to fully get into it, but then I started to realise it was another perfect string of powerful songs. Honestly, there is no reason not to buy this. Must have.