Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.59

on 23 August 2008
I had previously bought "Variations on a Dream", "10 Stories Down" and "What We have Sown" by Pineapple Thief and very nearly did not buy this, their current album, because "Variations on a Dream" is the only one that I really enjoy listening to. Pineapple Thief's sound can be quite heavy, a mass of guitars and keyboards jamming away and it takes a bit of getting used to - probably needs more time to assimilate than I am ready to spend on new music these days I guess.

Their sound is not a million miles from Porcupine Tree's more recent soundscape, although they are not as dark in their songwriting as that band.

I ended up deciding to buy it some time after its release more as a gesture of support really - I enjoy progressive rock as a genre and find it encouraging that there's new artists wanting to explore it. Also, most bands make a few dud albums over a career, so because I do enjoy "Variations on a Dream" I thought I'd give them one more (and probably final if I hadn't liked it) chance.

I'm glad I did give them the chance - "Tightly Unwound" is very enjoyable, probably as much as "Variations on a Dream" and has made me want to go back and re-listen to those two other albums that I've been uncertain about. It's also made me want to explore a bit more of their back-catalogue, irrespective of how I end up feeling about "10 Stories Down" and "What we have Sown".

One of the things I enjoy the most about "Tightly Unwound" is the way that Bruce Soord, Pineapple Thief's song-writer and front-man, constantly weaves acoustic guitar textures into the music. Occasionally, such as on the romantically beautiful opener "My Debt to You", it is the main musical texture. Elsewhere, the acoustic guitar is part of a much heavier wall of sound, such as on the first of the album's major opus's, the 11-minutes of "Different World".

Also pleasing is the richness of the melodies, even when the music is quite heavy, "Shoot First" being a good example. Another highlight throughout is the imaginative drumming, always adding interest to the music, making the album quite strong rhythmically as a result.

Highlights for me are the tracks I've already mentioned plus the catchy "My Bleeding Hand" which has some excellent guitar work and the closing number, another long opus, "Too Much To Lose". Starting quietly with piano, synthesizer and bird sounds, the song develops into a heavy jam during the sung verses, going quiet again before becoming quite ethereal in its final part - a good psychological thriller!

Plenty to enjoy then, and I'm going to have to go back and check those other albums! Just a shade off a 5-star rating, I'd have given it four and a half if I could.
on 30 July 2008
This is the 1st album I have bought of TPT. I can not surpass the coments of the previous author, so I wont even try.
I am a huge No Man and Porcupine tree fan, and rate this album up there with the best that Mrs Wilson has written in the past. This is no way meant as a disparaging remark to Mr W either.
TPT have been likened in the past to Radiohead; no bad thing in itself, yes in a way Radioheadish, but in their own way different.
This is a great album, appreciated by a 49 yr old life time lover of all things prog. This band should go down in the halls of fame on this offering alone. 11/10
on 16 January 2009
This is the 7th album by The Pineapple Thief and a classic. Unlike some groups, whose output just goes in ever decreasing circles by repeating the same formula, TPT keep going off in slightly new directions. This album is heavier than previous ones, but paradoxically includes My Debt To You, which is probably their quietest track yet. As well as plenty of great 4-5 minute classics (Shoot First, And So Say All of You and The Sorry State being my favourite of these), there are two of their best ever epics. The ebbing and flowing of Different World and Too Much To Lose (my favourite track by anybody from 2008) are awe-inspiring and leave you emotionally drained and reaching for the rewind button.

It is the likes of these two tracks that have them labelled as "prog" - but don't be fooled, this is not 20 minute keyboard solos and has nothing much in common with Yes, ELP, Mike Oldfield and the like. Instead, anyone who likes Coldplay, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree or any good alternative rock band will find something they like here.

Why are they not more famous? Who knows, but grab the chance to own this masterpiece and also to see them live where they are better even than the recorded version. Go on, take a chance, give it a few plays and be impressed.
on 2 December 2008
I happened upon this album (and in fact the band itself) purely by chance - and I'm rather glad I did. After having listened to a few previews of Tightly Unwound, I went straight ahead and bought it.

The opening pair of tracks, "My Debt To You" and "Shoot First" were my original two favourites. The first, a melodic, beautifully-flowing acoustic track, has an entirely different effect to the second, a faster number which laces acoustic with electric to create a rather satisfying sound.

After a while other tracks grew on me. The moody opening to "Tightly Wound", with its synthesized reverberating, almost alien sound is absolutely fantastic, in my opinion - and it contrasts completely with the gentler orchestral ending to the song. A strong feature of this album is the frequent switches in the mood of the music, which prevents any monotony and carries the listener through right to the finish.

And also, a word of advice - when you listen to the final, 15-minute epic "Too Much To Lose" for the first time, make sure you're not in a silent, darkened room. The song lulls you into a false sense of security at one point, with quiet, fading synth, before the sudden introduction of drums (which made me jump!). In parts it's a dark, disturbing track, with Soord's gritty vocals being used to great effect; at others it's more calm and mellow. A very enjoyable close to an equally enjoyable album.

I highly recommend this album, not only to those with an interest in progressive music, but for fans of rock in general. With such a richly-textured musical sound I am surprised that this band is still relatively unknown, especially seeing as they've been around for approaching 10 years now. The Pineapple Thief is a band which definitely deserves acknowledgment, and I'll be keeping an eye on where they are headed now.
on 13 November 2013
I've only come to the PT table recently, and went on a crash course of their discography. Tightly Unwound was one of the albums that didn't get played so much - not sure why - but when I heard it was getting the double-dip treatment, I familiarised mysef with the original.

Picked up this reissue yesterday and played through both discs, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I haven't directly compared the original vs the remaster, but I thought the remaster sounded a little bit warmer, perhaps some additional music effects, or stuff that was deeper in the original mix now being brought to the foreground?

The additional disc, pulling together the Dawn Raids EPs, is a nice bonus. I hadn't heard these tracks before, but again, if you've enjoyed any of the albums then these extras don't stray from the tried and trusted template.

I'm sure the long-time PT fans will post views on where this album stands in the rankings, but if you haven't heard them before then Tightly Unwound is as good a place as any. Quality songwriting matched with confident musicianship. Easy on the ear on first listen, but equally rewarding with repeated listening.
on 28 April 2009
Glad I took a chance on this , there are a few tracks that remind me of The Bends era Radiohead but that's no bad thing in my book. The opener is a strange choice to start an album with, a very laid back acoustic pop song, but have to say it is one of the best songs on the album. Try it you might like it!
on 13 August 2013
I discovered The Pineapple Thief not too long ago, using Spotify's radio feature and Blackfield as a sample to build a station. I have found several great bands that I didn't know about, like Amplifier, Antimatter, Guilt Machine, among others.

At first, The Pineapple Thief reminded me of Radiohead, Muse and Porcupine Tree, but the more I listened to them, the more I found their unique sound and the more I liked them.

This album in particular, has some great tracks, very melodic and melancholic at times, dark and profound at others. Lyrics are storytelling kind, without being flat and cliche, but also not necessarily too poetic and abstract either. I find their music to be original, and have the sound of an experienced band that have been playing together long enough to feel very comfortable with each other and make mature and honest music with a lot of character. The kind of music that grows with you as you listen to it.

One detail about the download, the tracks "Tightly Wound" and "The Sorry State" seem to have switched titles because they are wrong in my copy.
on 9 October 2011
This album was the big breakthrough but i now tpt for a longer time and every record of them grabs me so also this one.the sweet voice of bruce and the beautiful melodies in a radiohead like atmosphere,track 9 is too much to lose a 15 minutes orgasm with porcupine tree influences.
on 12 October 2011
All there albums have some great tracks but i think as an all rounder this is probably there best. buy it you wont be disappointed
on 23 February 2015
Very good band that I recommend.